AFLW #25: Jasmine Garner - becomes a 3x AFLCA AFLW MVP - star

Remove this Banner Ad

When I opened this thread to read these last few comments I was thinking Jenna could do with a thread of her own. SAhe's the most under rated player in the comp imabo.
Fourth mentioned of our midfielders and she’d be most teams’ best .

Jassie does everything, but what I notice most is that she gets into packs and wins the ball lot. Therefore as she is trying to stand up and release the ball, she gets tackled a lot. But unlike other players, she always manages to squeeze a 30m kick forward out of the congestion, which is so advantageous for us. The umpires just don’t understand the one percenters in our game at all and just see her in a pack getting tackled. So if she has 30 possessions they only “see” 18. Pathetic.

The possibility is that this will be more damaging to Conti than to Jas. Apart from a few, the majority of AFLW supporters will know and remember that there was a better performance over the season that was not recognised as it ought to have been. Opposition fans generally acknowledge the best opponents and accept their awards as legitimate if the player is truly deserving. They also recognise when an award seems to have been bestowed without due merit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conti is an absolute star and it should have been an exciting count between her and Jas. In Round 2 Richmond played Crows and got spanked. Up against Hatchard and Marinoff Conti had 29 possessions compared to Maninoffs 23 and Hatchards 19.

The possibility is that this will be more damaging to Conti than to Jas. Apart from a few, the majority of AFLW supporters will know and remember that there was a better performance over the season that was not recognised as it ought to have been. Opposition fans generally acknowledge the best opponents and accept their awards as legitimate if the player is truly deserving. They also recognise when an award seems to have been bestowed without due merit.
Conti had a pretty phenomenal season, can't discredit that

We all know Jas is the best player in the comp, but let's not get all Richmond 1974 here. North people are better than that.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
The parallel between this year and 1974 is that the best player in the league plays for North and is a plumber.

We do not need the league award.

We need silverware.

I’ll take a blend of anger and laser focus for Sunday over the individual awards any day.

Conti is a great player. The fact the umpires don’t appreciate how well Jas plays is completely seperate to whether Conti or Anderson or other winners deserve recognition for how well they have played a season.

I thought and said that after the gap between the umpires’ assessment of Garner and everyone else’s last season, and given how well she played this year and how much all the commentators talked her up all season, if she didn’t win this time she never will. I think that’s the case.

Jenna posted a little clip of Kane looking confused and outraged and captioned it “Mood”. Kearney looked furious and Ash had her head in her hands at taking votes away from Jas in the early games where coaches and media votes had Garner BoG. It would be nice to think that Jas isn’t the kind of character who will care too much, but it does matter.

I don’t think it reflects badly on the actual winners, but it does devalue the award that this happens (and not just to her). It’s not corrupt, it’s just a pretty silly process decided by people who aren’t good judges.

The parallel between this year and 1974 is that the best player in the league plays for North and is a plumber.

We do not need the league award.

We need silverware.

I’ll take a blend of anger and laser focus for Sunday over the individual awards any day.
Mon Conti is Gary Dempsey...

Jenna posted a little clip of Kane looking confused and outraged and captioned it “Mood”. Kearney looked furious and Ash had her head in her hands at taking votes away from Jas in the early games where coaches and media votes had Garner BoG. It would be nice to think that Jas isn’t the kind of character who will care too much, but it does matter.
There is only one outcome to channel all of this into.

4 quarters of fire.

Leave it all on the field Sunday.

Mon Conti is Gary Dempsey...

Mon Conti is Taylor Swift = can't doubt the ability or the workrate.

Jas Garner is Patti Smith = a legend operating at a different level to everyone else, broke the mould.

Mon Conti is Taylor Swift = can't doubt the ability or the workrate.

Jas Garner is Patti Smith = a legend operating at a different level to everyone else, broke the mould.
Oh God no, not Patti Smith. :eek:

Conti is an absolute star and it should have been an exciting count between her and Jas. In Round 2 Richmond played Crows and got spanked. Up against Hatchard and Marinoff Conti had 29 possessions compared to Maninoffs 23 and Hatchards 19.

Yep, and what stands out to pissed off North fans is that when North lost to Brisbane earlier on Jas had 31 and 1 in a loss (no votes) and the 3 votes went to a Bris player who had 8 possies.

Yep, and what stands out to pissed off North fans is that when North lost to Brisbane earlier on Jas had 31 and 1 in a loss (no votes) and the 3 votes went to a Bris player who had 8 possies.

Conti regularly polled in losses with efforts like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back