Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

Notice he's listed as 194cm on the club's site now. 92kg. Think he'll end up a very good size.
Video a few posts up states he pushed tbe 100kg mark. Very solid boy.

Good second key defender size then.
Very similar size to Rance and more agile than Taz so the physical package is there. Lets hope he can footy.

Very similar size to Rance and more agile than Taz so the physical package is there. Lets hope he can footy.

I'd have to see a lot more of Nielson (and I'm a fan) before I start marking him down as more agile then Taz (who I'm pretty sure I put a fork into a while ago).

Not sure of the purpose of my post. Just board I guess. A couple of jobs go cancelled due to the storms (that seem non existent) so now I'm at one of Brunswicks fine watering holes. It's going to get worse from here

The criticism's at the time (mostly Daz's if i recall, not singling you out daz but interested in your opinion still) was that he was too short for the next gen of ruck sized KPFs and that he couldn't kick. I feel like the too short calls have been debunked because it's clear he's still growing and 194cm is a good size for a defender with speed off the mark like Daniel has. Obviously haven't had many chances to look at his disposal since he has been injured or in rehab for most of his career but from what I can recall from his draftee video even if he has sloppy disposal he looked like he could make up for it with quick decision making and good reading of the play. Remembering his rebound style looking a bit like Spud's but I doubt his long kick down the line would be as safe.

I can't remember, did he play any VFL last season or did he tear his ACL before the season started? I know he briefly played that one NAB Challenge game.

I can't remember, did he play any VFL last season or did he tear his ACL before the season started? I know he briefly played that one NAB Challenge game.
Before.

Dish was very complementary of his defensive abilities. If he can work on the body of his opponent and match th3m on the lead then he will be big enough and strong enough. The likes of Hurley, Rance and McKenzie are all good enough and are of similar size the Nielson.

The criticism's at the time (mostly Daz's if i recall, not singling you out daz but interested in your opinion still) was that he was too short for the next gen of ruck sized KPFs and that he couldn't kick. I feel like the too short calls have been debunked because it's clear he's still growing and 194cm is a good size for a defender with speed off the mark like Daniel has. Obviously haven't had many chances to look at his disposal since he has been injured or in rehab for most of his career but from what I can recall from his draftee video even if he has sloppy disposal he looked like he could make up for it with quick decision making and good reading of the play. Remembering his rebound style looking a bit like Spud's but I doubt his long kick down the line would be as safe.

I think Daz has given us the arse...

Remember Presti from the Pies? That's the sort of player where looking at. Which is fine because we attack so much from defence we need blokes who won't give an inch

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Concerned about how he'd match up on the new breed of 200cm fwds.

If he's going to offer nothing offensively he'll need to be a dominant stopper to make up for it.

does anyone know how far off full recovery he is? because if there is one position that we look weak in this year it's definitely quality key defenders, and all the signs so far point to him being just that...

does anyone know how far off full recovery he is? because if there is one position that we look weak in this year it's definitely quality key defenders, and all the signs so far point to him being just that...

I Reckon Saunders would know

He's back to full training in the next 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cew7SohWAAAev2h.jpg

Good to see Daniel back on the track. Interestingly he looks a fair bit taller than Mitch Hibberd standing next to him who is listed at 190cm. Perhaps he's added a few cm.

Cew7SohWAAAev2h.jpg

Good to see Daniel back on the track. Interestingly he looks a fair bit taller than Mitch Hibberd standing next to him who is listed at 190cm. Perhaps he's added a few cm.

I think he was last recorded at 194cm and 92kgs.

Looks more like 195cm and maybe 95kgs.

Hmmm, i liked that post before i realised it was made by a * supporter. I feel cheated and dirty.

I'm not one of THOSE fans.

Also, Nielson's an Eastern Ranges man so I'm always more biased towards them.

Cew7SohWAAAev2h.jpg

Robbie looks about 7 foot in that photo as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back