Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've found Leigh Matthews and KB back in the day.
20&2 is rare.

Steve Johnson in 2008 & 2011

GAJ never hit the stat, 31.5 & 1.8 in 2010

IMO if we were to have a player hit a stat like 25 & 2 it would mean two things.

1) that player is probably the best player in the league.
2) we as a club are likely playing a style of football that changes the way the game is played.

if within the current bounds of the game the absolute elite aren't getting near this as a stat and they haven't for a decade then it kinda means the stat has become unachievable.

It is similar to 100 goals. the way the game is now simply does not allow for an individual to achieve it. I mean sure Buddy did, but that was 13 years ago.

20&2 is rare.

Steve Johnson in 2008 & 2011

GAJ never hit the stat, 31.5 & 1.8 in 2010

IMO if we were to have a player hit a stat like 25 & 2 it would mean two things.

1) that player is probably the best player in the league.
2) we as a club are likely playing a style of football that changes the way the game is played.

if within the current bounds of the game the absolute elite aren't getting near this as a stat and they haven't for a decade then it kinda means the stat has become unachievable.

It is similar to 100 goals. the way the game is now simply does not allow for an individual to achieve it. I mean sure Buddy did, but that was 13 years ago.

Toby Greene is possibly one of the most likely of the current players. He has had seasons where he has averaged 25 plus possessions and seasons where he has averaged 2 plus goals, but never in the same season. His best seasons have been 17 or 18 possessions and 2.3 to 2.4 goals per game.

Once he has hit his athletic prime, I don't think he'll be spending as much time forward as people here suspect. He averaged 3.7 clearances a game at the end of the season and I think that number is only going to trend upwards. Fyfe averaged 4.0 in his third year and then exploded to 5.9 in year four. Thomas is certainly capable of that same jump.

His last seven rounds were 22.1d, 3.7cl and 1.3g. Fyfe in his third year was 23.4d, 4.0cl and 0.4g and Bontempelli was 24.4d, 4.2cl and 1.0g. He isn't quite as tall as those two, but I think his aerial ability and power will be comparable to the point where those are the player comparisons that we should be talking about.

He is going to be our biggest body in the middle by far. You have to remember that he is only 21, by the time he hits his athletic prime he'll be a monster. JHF is the more likely player to 20&2 in my opinion.

Once he has hit his athletic prime, I don't think he'll be spending as much time forward as people here suspect. He averaged 3.7 clearances a game at the end of the season and I think that number is only going to trend upwards. Fyfe averaged 4.0 in his third year and then exploded to 5.9 in year four. Thomas is certainly capable of that same jump.

His last seven rounds were 22.1d, 3.7cl and 1.3g. Fyfe in his third year was 23.4d, 4.0cl and 0.4g and Bontempelli was 24.4d, 4.2cl and 1.0g. He isn't quite as tall as those two, but I think his aerial ability and power will be comparable to the point where those are the player comparisons that we should be talking about.

He is going to be our biggest body in the middle by far. You have to remember that he is only 21, by the time he hits his athletic prime he'll be a monster. JHF is the more likely player to 20&2 in my opinion.

What an absolute privilege it would be to witness two players who have the potential to be 20&2 players. Two of the last three dynasties had two players capable of 20&2 on any given game - Brisbane with Voss and Akermanis, and Geelong with Ablett Jnr and Chapman. Those four players have 11 premierships, 4 brownlows, and 19 AA selections between them. Chapman seems the odd one out amongst those champs, but he got the closest to averaging 25&2 in 2009, when he averaged 26.8 and 1.9!

The other common thing about those players? They played in some of the greatest midfields the game has ever seen. I could go on, but would get too excited imagining North's next decade...

What an absolute privilege it would be to witness two players who have the potential to be 20&2 players. Two of the last three dynasties had two players capable of 20&2 on any given game - Brisbane with Voss and Akermanis, and Geelong with Ablett Jnr and Chapman. Those four players have 11 premierships, 4 brownlows, and 19 AA selections between them. Chapman seems the odd one out amongst those champs, but he got the closest to averaging 25&2 in 2009, when he averaged 26.8 and 1.9!

The other common thing about those players? They played in some of the greatest midfields the game has ever seen. I could go on, but would get too excited imagining North's next decade...

Chapman was a very, very good player if not quite in the same league as the other three.

We could end up with 3 players who are at or better than 20 and 1.5. Stepho definitely has that potential.

Wonder if he he can play a jack macrae type role for us but he'll kick more goals and sometimes play HF.

Chapman was a very, very good player if not quite in the same league as the other three.

We could end up with 3 players who are at or better than 20 and 1.5. Stepho definitely has that potential.

Geez you're right. Forgot about Stepho! The future is blindingly bright!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just have one question who is running with LDU? whilst they are trying to stop the double act

This is exactly what happens in a year or two in opposition coaching meetings.

"Okay guys, who the heck do we tag?"

Almost zero chance that several of our best guys don't get off the leash.

Macrae averaged 34 possessions a game this year. If TT was getting those numbers with the way he uses the ball and the metres he gains, all the other GOAT contenders would have to concede.
6 years younger.
He's got time.

Looking back all I wanted from Thomas this year was to start breaching the 15 disposal mark more often and to eliminate any sub 10 disposal games. The last half of the season he had over 20 disposals more often than not, and no games under 15 disposals. Now obviously he played a lot of midfield so a larger increase than I originally hoped for would be expected, but the fact that his goal and goal assist averages took a jump too is just phenomenal. He destroyed the expectations I had for him.

A lot of lowlights to the season, but now that it's in the past I think the biggest highlight for me was his personal growth as a player. A handful of other players took a big step but in my opinion Thomas's was the most important. Goal kicking mids are hard to come by, and his rankings in the second half of the season were in the upper echelon of current players. A joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back