Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

Liability with ball in hand. Just awful.

However was impressive overhead, and showed some great signs no doubt if he can clean up the disposal to somewhere near AFL level.

I agree with this ^ although I would say Turner is competing with Anderson, Mountford, Wagner types going forward (they would also be part of the midfield rotation).

IF LT can turn it around (find form), he should be moved up the ground permanently. He's no longer a forward, but he might add value off a wing or half back.

It's an experiment that needs to start at Werribee next week ...

I agree with this ^ although I would say Turner is competing with Anderson, Mountford, Wagner types going forward (they would also be part of the midfield rotation).

IF LT can turn it around (find form), he should be moved up the ground permanently. He's no longer a forward, but he might add value off a wing or half back.

It's an experiment that needs to start at Werribee next week ...

If he found the form from a couple of years ago, his field kicking into f50 would be no1 at the club.

Any team that doesn't have Zurhaar in it cannot be taken seriously. Zurhaar has it.

Garner - McKay - Simpkin
Ziebell - Brown - Zurhaar

Wood to the midfield, Turner on the bench.

It's a pretty intimidating lineup, both from a talent and an aggression point of view

He needs more footy

He's missed that much he's almost like a debutant

The picking apart of his disposal gives me hope that when Ahern finally takes the field and is rusty, ol reliable BF will be here to savage him.

Taylor has a fair bit of go and will do well with a solid season of footy under his belt this year and hopefully an uninterrupted pre season and a big 2018.

Last edited:
The picking apart of his disposal gives me hope that when Agery finally takes the field and is rusty, ol reliable BF will be here to savage him.

Which would be fair enough. Needs to dramatically improve his skills as he hurt us against the Dogs.

Simpkin for example has less footy under his belt but remains clean.

Showed plenty outside his skills though no doubt, has a real crack.

Which would be fair enough. Needs to dramatically improve his skills as he hurt us against the Dogs.

Simpkin for example has less footy under his belt but remains clean.

Showed plenty outside his skills though no doubt, has a real crack.

Jy Simpkin only played 17 games over the last 3 years?

Rubbish.

Hes played 3 this year, 1 last year and starred the year before in the TAC while likely playing at club level as well.

Probably played more footy in 2015 alone than Garner has seen since prior to being drafted.

Jy Simpkin only played 17 games over the last 3 years?

Rubbish.

Hes played 3 this year, 1 last year and starred the year before in the TAC while likely playing at club level as well.

Probably played more footy in 2015 alone than Garner has seen since prior to being drafted.

3 years? Why not make it 10 years?

Nah Simpkin and Garner have missed plenty of footy. One is still very clean, the other isn't.

It's wrong to blame "rust" as why Garner hurt us on Friday. And i really like him as a player, just needs to be far better with ball in hand.

3 years? Why not make it 10 years?

Nah Simpkin and Garner have missed plenty of footy. One is still very clean, the other isn't.

It's wrong to blame "rust" as why Garner hurt us on Friday. And i like him as a player, just needs to be far better with ball in hand.

And he will but it'll take time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I'm concerned that was TG's 3rd game of AFL footy. Any games played in previous seasons are meaningless given his lack of continuity due to injury.

So I was pretty happy with his game. Each game he has improved incrementally - this week's improvement was getting a lot of pill, taking important marks and and imposing himself in a couple of key moments (eg goal in the last). Let himself down with poor disposal but was cleaner the last couple of weeks so I see that as an aberration (unless he keeps shanking it).

I like the way he, Simpkin, Turner and Hrovat have been a little bit better each week.

Last edited:
I like the way he, Simpkin, Turner and Hrovat have been a little bit better each week.

Chances are Durdin, Clarke, Mountford, Anderson, Wagner, Zurhaar, Hibberd, EVW, etc. would be improving incrementally too, if given the chance over those who are well below their best and will never get back there.

One thing I did like about Garner's game against the Dogs was icing the goal in the last, despite having a stinker by foot up to that point. He didn't drop his head, he backed himself and delivered. Pretty happy with that. I thought there was a hell of a lot to like about his game - he was in the play all day, he was physical and got through it unscathed. And his hands and leap are elite. If he gets a full run at it this season, I reckon we'll all be pretty excited about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back