#28 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? Last year (might have been 2012) we selected Petrenko purely so that we had at least one indigenous player in the team for Indigenous Round. He even got to attend the coin toss. Worst example of tokenism I've ever seen, completely and utterly disgraceful.

At least we have Betts & Cameron in the team right now, both of whom have justified their selections. No justification for bringing CEY into the team as a token indigenous player following the Petrenko precedent.
Well CEY has earned it, BOG for us in at least 3 games this year

Have you seen any of his games? I haven't, but not one single person who has has come even remotely close to suggesting that CEY should be playing in the AFL.
How do you tell when he is ready to play AFL? All I know is we had half a team of passengers on the weekend and a SANFL team winning with plenty of good players and CEY is one of them. Who cares if he is AFL ready, if they're good enough play them.

How do you tell when he is ready to play AFL? All I know is we had half a team of passengers on the weekend and a SANFL team winning with plenty of good players and CEY is one of them. Who cares if he is AFL ready, if they're good enough play them.
Because not one person has said that he's good enough to play. The accounts here say that he gets a lot of the ball, but his disposals lack a lot of polish and have zero hurt factor to the opposition.

Because not one person has said that he's good enough to play. The accounts here say that he gets a lot of the ball, but his disposals lack a lot of polish and have zero hurt factor to the opposition.
Maybe that happens when the rest of the side are s**t

I just want to see him play.
I live in Cairns so no chance to see SANFL.

Let this moment be noted:

Adelaide vs Melbourne, Round 3, 2015 at Adelaide Oval:

Another lovely game by Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Adelaide’s emerging star in the NAB summer games, and good work in the first two rounds. He’s a tall indigenous player with silver trout attributes – acute football intelligence, deft gives, an immaculate understanding of the fall of the ball.

On Saturday, this was his fourth AFL game and he had a defining moment. As a youngster – or a newbie – he thinks his role is get possession and give it off as soon as he can to the more accomplished players around him.

The early Andrew McLeod was once like that – streaming into attack, heading towards the goals but choosing to handball the hot ball to someone else, rather than presuming the right to kick the goal himself. It took McLeod a couple of seasons to realise that he shouldn’t pass it over and that he was good enough to kick goals all by himself.

On Saturday, Ellis-Yolmen broke from the centre-square with much space around him. He looked around for somebody to handball it to . There were a few teammates in his zone but they yelled at him: “You are clear... it’s yours... do it... do it!

So Cam did. From the edge of the centre square he sank a lovely 65-70mm classic elegant drop punt on the run, with balance and poise. Eddie Betts was on the goal-line and could have attempted to mark it. Instead, Eddie bodied his opponent out of the way and Cam had a superb long goal in his memory bank for the rest of his life.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen knows, now, that his role is not only to feed others, but to also grasp the moment and to fill his own dreams.

We could have been watching the moment of the birth of a champion. I hope so.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back