Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

He was up to 15 possies, half a dozen inside 50s & 3 goals by the first half of the first quarter. Wouldn't mind if we had a guy who could rack up cheap kicks on the forward flank like that.
Now all we need is an opposition midfield to fall asleep

No. We were determining what "pressure acts" actually are and what a significant amount accumulated is. Tom Liberatore averages 52.7 pressure acts per game for example. Had there been multiple Lions players well above Cuningham's 22, it wouldn't have been as impressive.

I was the one who posted the stat in here originally because i was impressed by it.

Its pressure points not pressure acts.... all makes sense now

I'm taking extra interest in Cuningham, since he is essentially a second round pick (#23), and historically we absolutely suck at nailing second round picks.

I liked what I saw again, for the second week in a row.

I'll need to look at the replay, but in the last quarter Cuningham backed into an oncoming pack, all 80kg of him.

Along with his intent to tackle and not shy away from the contest, this suggests to me that Cuningham is a moldable/coachable player. Particularly if these aren't natural features of his game.

There was a post in the game day thread about Bolton gradually molding Cuningham into an AFL player.

I agree.

David has demonstrated some AFL level attributes: speed, clean hands, willingness to tackle, sound decision making capacity.

Haven't seen enough to judge his disposal. Efficiency statistics in the 70% range suggest that his disposal is okay.

Yeah the way he's used and finding his feet is interesting, but he's certainly a green shoot and even the commentators seemed to notice his attributes.

He strikes me as a player that will probably be a bit of a slower burn for a little while and then all of a sudden, it will all click.

Oh what I would give for us to strike gold with a 2nd round pick.

Hannebery (one of my favourite players) is around the same size, both from the Oakleigh Chargers, both picked in similar positions in the draft.

Sydney can identify talent. When it isn't handed to them, that is.

Were other clubs into him? He seemed to jump up the order of most phantom drafts about a month before the draft?

Watching his Under 18 highlights again the other day, he looks as classy as quite a few taken before him. As a few have noted, he seems to take the conservative option most of the time but with a few more year experience he'll hopefully come out of his shell a bit and display some of that X-factor that underpinned his efforts at Under 18 level.

Would have loved to see him nail that dribble goal too. Good awareness to run on to the loose ball.

Were other clubs into him? He seemed to jump up the order of most phantom drafts about a month before the draft?

Watching his Under 18 highlights again the other day, he looks as classy as quite a few taken before him. As a few have noted, he seems to take the conservative option most of the time but with a few more year experience he'll hopefully come out of his shell a bit and display some of that X-factor that underpinned his efforts at Under 18 level.

Would have loved to see him nail that dribble goal too. Good awareness to run on to the loose ball.

Was viewed as the second tier of mids

If he had been earning 20-25 possessions and a goal at TAC/Champs level doing everything else that he does, he would have been picked ahead of Parish.

But he didn't....and can't. :)

Cuningham is unlikely to be an accumulator the way Clarke, Dunkley or even Mathieson will become, yet he was selected before them.
Speed, evasiveness and carrying the ball will be his go.

But he didn't....and can't. :)

Cuningham is unlikely to be an accumulator the way Clarke, Dunkley or even Mathieson will become, yet he was selected before them.
Speed, evasiveness and carrying the ball will be his go.
Disagree strongly on this, has everything he needs to win plenty of footy.

Disagree strongly on this, has everything he needs to win plenty of footy.

I'd like you to be right of course, but that's rarely the case.

Bad kicks rarely become good kicks.
Poor tanks don't become massive tanks.
A poor mark doesn't become a great mark.
.....and....players that find the ball in their junior years continue to find the ball and those that don't.......rarely do.

If he had been earning 20-25 possessions and a goal at TAC/Champs level doing everything else that he does, he would have been picked ahead of Parish.
So what you are saying is if he was a better footballer he would have been selected earlier in the draft.

What I was happy with was even though he didn't get a lot of it (from relatively low TOG), he stayed involved with tackles/pressure. Easy to be a spectator when you aren't winning the ball.

So what you are saying is if he was a better footballer he would have been selected earlier in the draft.

What I was happy with was even though he didn't get a lot of it (from relatively low TOG), he stayed involved with tackles/pressure. Easy to be a spectator when you aren't winning the ball.

I like Cuningham a lot but I just don't feel he'll ever be a major ball winner.
Saw enough VFL games to notice that he has little idea of what to do around the middle of the ground.

Clearly the CFC see something in him as a centre-man, although there really has been very little to put into the middle regardless, in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Cuningham a lot but I just don't feel he'll ever be a major ball winner.
Saw enough VFL games to notice that he has little idea of what to do around the middle of the ground.

Clearly the CFC see something in him as a centre-man, although there really has been very little to put into the middle regardless, in the VFL.
Gets to the right spots just doesn't have his timing right atm...he either gets to the spot half a second early or half a second late.

I'm pretty confident he can improve this aspect of his game and evolve into a 20+ disposal per game type player. He has a real desire to stay involved in the center of the contest, which is an attribute most low possession getters don't have.

Players like Boekhurst for example likes staying involved but doesn't like getting into the real contested area which means he relies on being fed the footy. David Cuningham has shown that he likes spending most of his time smack bang in the middle of contested situations. (almost half of Cuninghams possessions have been contested)

Last edited:
I'm not sure his hands are that great in close under pressure. Didn't gather much cleanly on the inside under pressure and again fumbled some quick gives. Outside in general play looks fine. Seems willing to have a go and apply pressure and is fairly composed. Haven't seen enough of him to see what the full story is just yet. I think we'll be hoping to see him running hard to make good position and be more offensive. Second half against the Deas was pretty decent.

I'm not sure his hands are that great in close under pressure. Didn't gather much cleanly on the inside under pressure and again fumbled some quick gives. Outside in general play looks fine. Seems willing to have a go and apply pressure and is fairly composed. Haven't seen enough of him to see what the full story is just yet. I think we'll be hoping to see him running hard to make good position and be more offensive. Second half against the Deas was pretty decent.
Some of those quick gives were pretty s**t though. I remember one or two in particular I saw him coming through and could tell he would be away with it if they got it to him, but the handball was ordinary and up around his ears or some such.

Some of those quick gives were pretty s**t though. I remember one or two in particular I saw him coming through and could tell he would be away with it if they got it to him, but the handball was ordinary and up around his ears or some such.
some yes, some weren't, same as last week. Needs to get that ball handling under pressure sorted to become an AFL player.

He's a bit of an enigma. He's really reserved but doesn't shirk a contest. He looks like he has the fundamental skills but no intensity. He's quiet, but confident. He competes, but shows no emotion.

I can't think of a similar personality in the AFL. :huh:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back