Senior 28. David Cuningham

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's shown all the flashes of being a really good midfielder, i'm bullish.
He's got some great core attributes, just needs to be developed properly.

Maybe giving him some run-with roles or a rotation through half-back will help him accumulate more of the ball?

It was refreshing to see him in the midfield. Looks dynamic in movement. Just got to hope he keeps improving his footskills, which seemed to have improved on the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see where DC fits in with our new midfield. I think barring injury he will be in our best 22. He had a fairly disrupted 2016 missing most of the mid season. Showed a few signs on return at the end of the season. If he can step up and add his name to the midfield starting roster of murphy gibbs cripps curnow and we also see SPS, Fisher and Pickett in their, we could move our midfield performance up a few positions

I like the look of this fella. Seems like a hard worker; has good pace and doesn't shirk it..hopefully he has the skills and ability to push his way in to our best 22.

We desperately need players like young Cuni developing in to very good AFL players.

David is getting closer to a call-up with some good performances this year, to date.
Seems to have a better balance between his attacking game and his defensive one, which will hold him in good stead.

He's really using his explosiveness to advantage and not running past the ball as much any more.
Tackling has stepped up also and all being well, should not be too far away from regular senior exposure.

The pressure he applied last year when given the chance was very good, hoping for more of the same.

Good to hear that he is finding more of the ball, it will make him more dangerous as teams will put time into Murphy, Cripps, SPS, Gibbs etc. and he may get off the leash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't see Cuningham as being that inside midfielder we're wanting to make him.

That may yet come but at this stage I see him more of the second possession player.
Someone that can take the ball off a Cripps and move it down the ground.
I don't think they want him to be an inside mid, I think it's more they want him to be another dimension at the stoppages. Most of the time, that will be that receive option you've described, but it still requires him being able to dig in and break tackles.

I don't think they want him to be an inside mid, I think it's more they want him to be another dimension at the stoppages. Most of the time, that will be that receive option you've described, but it still requires him being able to dig in and break tackles.

Once you're one of the 4 inside the centre square, you're almost by default resigned to playing inside.
If the ball comes your way, you have to go in and get it, but I know what you're saying.

I don't see him getting into the best of inside positions just yet and by virtue of that, it supports your view.

Once you're one of the 4 inside the centre square, you're almost by default resigned to playing inside.
If the ball comes your way, you have to go in and get it, but I know what you're saying.

I don't see him getting into the best of inside positions just yet and by virtue of that, it supports your view.
At the centre stoppage? You can block and screen. You can also block around the ground, but he'll need to stick close to Cripps and whoever we pick up over the next 18 months.

Selwood is almost exclusively taking centre bounce stoppages lately, because it's where you get greatest reward for running away with the footy.

Fair effort.

13 disposals (9 contested), 5 tackles and 24 pressure acts (equal 2nd with Zac).

Was prominent in the 1st and 2nd quarters but struggled to get involved when the game got really sloppy and we lost all structure.

Pretty happy with his first up game albeit he faded in and out. Pretty ferocious at the ball and showed he has in and under in his game

I'm one of the few that aren't nearly as sold on him as a lot seem to be, but I thought he was OK. Just seems to me that he is a confidence player, and confidence players tend to be flakey and not something a consistent side really wants. He is young, so can certainly turn this perception around.

I too think he is a confidence player, but importantly not a conditional player.

He will give you pressure, intent and commitment every week, the confidence to take the game on will require time.

Not everyone is SPS.

I'm one of the few that aren't nearly as sold on him as a lot seem to be, but I thought he was OK. Just seems to me that he is a confidence player, and confidence players tend to be flakey and not something a consistent side really wants. He is young, so can certainly turn this perception around.

There's two broad types of confidence players, as I see it.

You've got your perpetual confidence players - someone like Levi Casboult is a good example - who can have their confidence shattered at any moment by a single, isolated incident. At some point this season, Levi will clunk a mark, 35m out, slight angle, then he'll go back and shank it out on the full. The rest of the game, he'll struggle to have an impact because he'll be agonising over a possible return to previous form.

Then you've got your young, unestablished players who lack confidence. The player who isn't sure if they have what it takes because they haven't done it yet. Enter David Cuningham. He's been on the list a year longer than guys like SPS, Fisher and Williamson, and will be concerned that they've gone past him. What he needs is a couple of good games at AFL level to solidify in his mind that he has what it takes. He won't lose that self-confidence based on a poor kick, or even a poor game, because he'll have form that he can fall back on mentally to reassure himself that he can play at the required level.

There's two broad types of confidence players, as I see it.

You've got your perpetual confidence players - someone like Levi Casboult is a good example - who can have their confidence shattered at any moment by a single, isolated incident. At some point this season, Levi will clunk a mark, 35m out, slight angle, then he'll go back and shank it out on the full. The rest of the game, he'll struggle to have an impact because he'll be agonising over a possible return to previous form.

Then you've got your young, unestablished players who lack confidence. The player who isn't sure if they have what it takes because they haven't done it yet. Enter David Cuningham. He's been on the list a year longer than guys like SPS, Fisher and Williamson, and will be concerned that they've gone past him. What he needs is a couple of good games at AFL level to solidify in his mind that he has what it takes. He won't lose that self-confidence based on a poor kick, or even a poor game, because he'll have form that he can fall back on mentally to reassure himself that he can play at the required level.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well to be honest, though I am yet to feel comfortable putting Cuningham in either camp just yet. Hopefully the second one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back