Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL

200.gif
Here's one: when was the last time we improved our draft position through trades?

Here's one: when was the last time we improved our draft position through trades?

Easy as,

2002, we got Adelaide's pick 4 which moved to pick two. Now this was quite convoluted it took brown bags of cash ( carlton ) and sex in a toilet.
So it shows we can do it when we put our minds to the task.

How many of our guys we delist get picked up by other clubs? Or when was the last time that happened?

I'm not saying we will delist Turner, just stating I doubt anyone else would have him on their list. He fwiw is "best 22" in our minds.
I guess that's why we are 10th eh.

Without ragging on Kayne too much, when he's player 30 rather than player 20, we'll be up there.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Love his courage and all that jazz but if we are going to move forward I can’t see him being best 22. Provides forward pressure and has pressure acts but that simply isn’t enough in today’s game. As a small forward you actually have to kick goals.

8.11 this year is simply not enough.

Averaging 11.2 disposals, 0.3 goal assists and 1.7 inside 50’s

His tackling impact is also pretty overrated if you ask me. Not even averaging 1 tackle inside 50 per game.
He actually missed so many tackles yesterday I was disappointed.
Usually he lays them and they stick but he was invisible.
Not best 22 next year if we are being serious.

Courageous. No doubt. Works as hard as anyone.

He's our Daniel Ruettiger.

Unfortunately he's barely an A grade ammo's footballer with the ball in hand.

He's actually decent overhead for his height.

He's the anti-Ahern, fumbles at every possession, worst kick bar none at the club and just a terrible decision maker with ball in hand, regularly burns open play opportunities where we should have open goals with a clean possession and accurate kick.

The fact he only get's it 11 times a game is probably a positive because of the above at this stage.

I can't hate him because of his endeavour, but he's the most limited best 22 player at North in 30 years. Eddie Sainsbury was a better footballer.

He's truly crap.

Will be better when he doesn't have to spend 90% of his time chasing half backs on the break.. and not killing his own confidence in front of goals.

Hes pretty good on the lead for a small guy, smart and does a good job when we are playing slower as a unit, as in the eagles game, but lately with the lack of midfield pressure hes just chasing tail.

Turner's fortunes depend on how we fix the midfield, although this could be said of most non kpp forwards and backs. MacMillan, Rat (replaced by Zurhaar probably), Wood, Wright all get a leg up when the middle of the ground is in our hands.

Macmillan recently said on the North podcast how supporters wouldnt understand just how critical Turner is to the side as he doesnt get a heap of possessions or kick a heap of goals.

He said he was definitely one of the first picked each week.

I personally like him but feel he is the sort of player you have in your side when you have an extremely potent forward line already (with a good small forward) so all he has to do is apply pressure and kick the odd goal. Because we have no small forwards we are wanting Turner to play that role and I honestly believe he isnt being coached to do that.

Yes he should be so much better at actually kicking at goal than he is but hes still young so hopefully he gets there

I think he is best 22 right at the moment but should be overtaken by Zurhaar next year who is just as physical but can actually kick a few goals

I wish the multitude of players we have who possess more natural ability than Sugar could play with his level of endeavour and fearlessness.

Kane's selection is a conundrum. We so desperately need him to hurt opposition sides on the scoreboard and in that department he falls waaaaaaaaay short.

Macmillan recently said on the North podcast how supporters wouldnt understand just how critical Turner is to the side as he doesnt get a heap of possessions or kick a heap of goals.

He said he was definitely one of the first picked each week.

I personally like him but feel he is the sort of player you have in your side when you have an extremely potent forward line already (with a good small forward) so all he has to do is apply pressure and kick the odd goal. Because we have no small forwards we are wanting Turner to play that role and I honestly believe he isnt being coached to do that.

Yes he should be so much better at actually kicking at goal than he is but hes still young so hopefully he gets there

I think he is best 22 right at the moment but should be overtaken by Zurhaar next year who is just as physical but can actually kick a few goals

That's the problem though, to be a good player long term you need to be able to apply pressure and kick goals, or set them up. They can go around and say that we don't understand how important he is, but the lack of contribution elsewhere is part of what the team is lacking. Lets be honest Cyril Rioli set the bench mark for this type of player, if you are going to sacrifice your game to create pressure and space, you need to damaging when you have it, and that can't be said about Turner.

For the team to take the next step, he doesn't need to as good as Cyril, but he or the coaching staff need to fond a way for him to contribute more offensively. if they can't he is out, possible to Zuhaar or if Garner can get fit enough to play

There's more drama going on in here than in a month at NIDA.

No drama at all.

I think most people have been spot on with their assessments.

He's a heart and soul type but isn't up to AFL standard in possession of the football (which he barely gets anyway for the most part).

I daresay he finishes as a 60-80 game type after his negatives finally outweigh his positives in the eyes of the coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No drama at all.

He's a heart and soul type but isn't up to AFL standard in possession of the football (which he barely gets anyway for the most part).

I daresay he finishes as a 60-80 game type after his negatives finally outweigh his positives in the eyes of the coaches.
2 year contract

No drama at all.

He generally is pretty good kick and decision maker when playing within his limitations(about 40m) unfortunately he can’t kick past that which you need to, to kick goals.
But he does have he’s positives and they scream backline to me... he could make a good go of it down there.

I wish the multitude of players we have who possess more natural ability than Sugar could play with his level of endeavour and fearlessness.

Kane's selection is a conundrum. We so desperately need him to hurt opposition sides on the scoreboard and in that department he falls waaaaaaaaay short.

I sometimes feel that by the time he actually gets a kick at goal he's just too exhausted to make a success of it, given how hard he's been working all over the ground. He's not the biggest guy, and he exerts a thousand percent out there. I dunno. I think someone on here mentioned something about lack of team cohesion having an effect on him, and I think it's a valid point.

Bit confused by his disposal to be honest. Within his first two years I easily rated him as one of our best handballers under pressure, would nail absolute beauties while diving forward or being tackled. Kicking never stood out to me in either a good or bad way. I don't really buy that he's just got out and out s**t skills.

Right now though he's pretty putrid with ball in hand. He does a LOT of goal saving acts with his hardness and running, and is extraordinarily good at halving aerial contests even against multiple opponents, and he absolutely chews through the turf but if you can't execute the basics...

He ices those two goals and we'd be talking about a different game by him. Hell, we probably would have won. So the question is... Why is his disposal so bad? Put too much time into speed and endurance training and neglected skills? Too physically buggered by the time he's disposing that he shanks them all? Ye olde trying too hard (Ballantyne's infamous final comes to mind)? Purely a form issue? Overthinking it all and not playing instinctually?

I genuinely think he has a good prospective future with us, but it is dependant on him being able to execute those basics at even just the average level. His speed, endurance, toughness, tenaciousness, competitiveness, and aerial ability are all great attributes he has. But I also have to admit I'm a bit worried. Its a really strange situation IMO, where he has improved so many aspects of his game (fitness has improved in almost every way out of sight) and yet his fundamentals have just gone to the dogs.

No drama at all.

I'll have $500 with you right now that he plays at least 100 games.

He'll play 200 if injury doesn't intervene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back