Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

I bloody love Sugar, all is forgiven and forgotten. He has been a household fave of ours, and that won't ever change. Looking forward to seeing him crack in, and wreak some havoc on the park. His footy brain is way underrated and I'm looking forward to watching him in the preseason games.

Pressure's really on for small forward/half-forward positions, isn't it?

Sugar could be sixth in line behind Higgo, Thomas, Garner, Hrovat and Simpkin but ahead of Wagner (obviously depending on where exactly these guys line up).

Sugar could be sixth in line behind Higgo, Thomas, Garner, Hrovat and Simpkin but ahead of Wagner (obviously depending on where exactly these guys line up).

Personally think Wagner will jump up the selection que with how well he is training in pre-season so far.

Been the coaches pick of who has been most impressive since they returned to training.

What is noticiable in nearly all the preseason videos is Kayne absolutely murdering his teammates with crunching tackles. He looks hungry to repay the faith.

I've noticed that and would have made the same comment if you hadn't beaten me to it. Looks promising and we could do with that sort of pressure. Missed it last year. I hope he is into setting a tone for the year and showing some leadership.

He'll be ahead of Simpkin because he's going to be harder at it than the draftee. Can see Higgo and Hrovat in the middle too. If he can lock the ball in our forward line between 5 and 10 times a game and we score from half of them that will be a massive improvement on the teams performance in the second of the year. If he does that it might be enough on its own to keep him a place in the side. I'd want to see him get more of it and do his thing tho. The times I've seen him over the last 2 seasons he did look to be "in boomer's shadow" a fair bit. Like he'd win the ball and look to Boomer straight away or even pull back and just shepherd for him.

It worked well - Boomer would usually do something productive and score related - but now I'd like to KT take the game on and try and do that stuff himself instead of looking for a reputation to give the responsibility to/defer to.

I'd like to see him take Atley's position, and lock down the small forward. He is hard at the ball and man, got the brains, run to make a long career down back. Atley to move onto the wing.

I know KT doesn't get a heap of the ball stat wise but he makes a lot of impact with his touches IMO. Obviously the tackles stick out but he delivers well, gets to the right spots a hell of a lot of times. A player that plays slightly better than the stats say, as opposed to some players that get more of it but do little with it. I think there's still opportunity there for him. I don't think it's any accident that some of our best football was with him in the team. Now, whether that's still the case after a another draft or two of picking more mid / speedy types - well that's up to Kayne really.

I wouldn't be discounting him though, like with big Ben Brown we play better as a team with him in since his debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kayne is another one of our players that have shown glimpses. Along with Garner, Clarke, LMac, Wagner, Wood, Atley, M. Williams and to a lesser extent Durdin, if 4 of those have a break out year, we're a chance for finals.

Really surprised not to see any comments this morning about Sugar.........was terrific yesterday. Looks like Im driving his bus now :)

i thought the same thing. he looks to have put his head down over preseason, to get a little bigger and fitter.
im loving the fact that we have a number of the younger brigade pushing for selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back