AFL Player #28: Xavier Duursma šŸ¹

Archery or no archery?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a fair bit of struggles in terms of his body, two serious knee injuries half a season each time, shoulder and some small niggles across 2022.

Not given him a good chance to perform and what the club wouldā€™ve liked him to. Bit of frustration from him and for the club.

All injuries were impact injuries, not much he couldā€™ve done to avoid them

You have got yourselves a great club man, will be missed by many Ports supporters.
Three things that i loved about Xavier are:
His courage - it was a 2020 final against Geelong where he ran hard with the flight to contest a mark with Blicavs, Duursma came down with the ball but mark awarded to Blicavs (video on AFL website game summary)
Team orientated - in 2022 last game there was a double header showdown, our SANFL team beat crows (our team was really bad) during the warm up he went over to the team huddle & congratulated them - no one else in the senior team acknowledged the win..
Respectful - every ANZAC game we had (that he played in) he walks over to the service people and thanks them for their service, I hope he is in your team next ANZAC day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lore gone a full yacco55
Lore Thanks as always for scribing for those of us that can't listen/are too lazy
I did intend to come back and merge them all ā€” perils of scribing on my phone on the train though, didnā€™t get to it before my stop. Think Iā€™ll just leave it now, itā€™s more interesting than port fans anyway šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

You have got yourselves a great club man, will be missed by many Ports supporters.
Three things that i loved about Xavier are:
His courage - it was a 2020 final against Geelong where he ran hard with the flight to contest a mark with Blicavs, Duursma came down with the ball but mark awarded to Blicavs (video on AFL website game summary)
Team orientated - in 2022 last game there was a double header showdown, our SANFL team beat crows (our team was really bad) during the warm up he went over to the team huddle & congratulated them - no one else in the senior team acknowledged the win..
Respectful - every ANZAC game we had (that he played in) he walks over to the service people and thanks them for their service, I hope he is in your team next ANZAC day.
The fact that you noticed all that stuff is impressive in itself.

Would like to play wing, first and foremost. Has played 95% of his afl time there and knows the role well, can bring his skill set to the bombers.

But nothing off the table if he is required to play other roles
Nice to once and for all prove that Kane Cornes is absolutely full of s**t.

Seem to recall last week when Kane said that X was keen to leave because he wanted to play centre midfield/clearance midfield and Port wanted to stick him on a wing.

Looks like your inside source at Port thinks you're a knob too, Kane-o

Nice to once and for all prove that Kane Cornes is absolutely full of s**t.

Seem to recall last week when Kane said that X was keen to leave because he wanted to play centre midfield/clearance midfield and Port wanted to stick him on a wing.

Looks like your inside source at Port thinks you're a knob too, Kane-o

Kane is the Grand Poobah of The Kult of Ken & The Ken Hinkley FC. Grinds my gears when heā€™s introduced as 300 game Port legend, he is a stain on society.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would like to play wing, first and foremost. Has played 95% of his afl time there and knows the role well, can bring his skill set to the bombers.

But nothing off the table if he is required to play other roles

Reckon he can do a lot of different things but given Snelling finished the year in that high half forward role purely because of his running ability I would say Duursma represents a natural upgrade.

Big tank, but also a big frame that can take a mark overhead and with genuine kicking penetration.

Reckon he can do a lot of different things but given Snelling finished the year in that high half forward role purely because of his running ability I would say Duursma represents a natural upgrade.

Big tank, but also a big frame that can take a mark overhead and with genuine kicking penetration.

There's a bit of overlap in that high-half forward and wing role, plus bench rotations as well. Having 3 guys that can play that role in different ways is probably about right for team balance.

There's a bit of overlap in that high-half forward and wing role, plus bench rotations as well. Having 3 guys that can play that role in different ways is probably about right for team balance.

I would agree, but it speaks to how big a need it is for us given Snelling was basically unimpeachable at the selection table purely because he's a really good runner. Now we've got Duursma who's a really good runner with another couple of weapons tacked on too.

anyone else getting early Jordan Dawson vibes from Duurs (Nice mark, reads the play, brave, kicks goals) ?

I would agree, but it speaks to how big a need it is for us given Snelling was basically unimpeachable at the selection table purely because he's a really good runner. Now we've got Duursma who's a really good runner with another couple of weapons tacked on too.

There was also a pretty non-existent AFL ready depth in the small forward stocks.

Davey Jnr with another preseason, Menzies with another preseason, Gresham coming in, Tex if he gets fit again, Jayden Davey playing and then Duursma and Perkins coming back forward with Setterfield being fit is a very different level of competition.

Back