Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

At least he does not have a lame goal celebration like
d73d4647106dc983bbd2098d81f19002
Doesn’t even celebrate.

I sort of feel like Shai has been teasing us. We know he is amazing, but he hasn't ever turned it on all game for many games in a row. I hope that will happen this year. He is just about the best player to watch when on song.

If he stops rushing when kicking for goal like he did last year you can probably add another 20 odd goals
yep, his snaps he takes like at 12-15 seconds... like he tries to catch the defender off guard... but all he ends up doing is rushing himself. Take the full 30 secs, take your time and ignore the defender

It's not about Shai's best...

It's always about his consistency... he seems to get bored or lose concentration and drift out of games, and for long periods....
Needs to keep his head as well
Gets sucked in by opp’s and gives away stupid free’s

Thoroughly enjoyed his game today but just wish he'd take the responsibility upon himself more often (where appropriate).
For example, one of the centre bounce clearances he had today was so clean, there was no immediate pressure on him. He could have strided toward the 50 and went for goal himself. Instead, he pulled up and tried to hit another option. Look, that's not the worst thing to do but he is arguably our best and most skilled player. Just take the responsibility on.

Shai Bolton needs to play more midfield, it's no surprise he looked & had a way better game on the weekend when he went in there.
The burst away from stoppage, I re-watched some of the highlights it doesn't matter good or quick a midfield group is they won't be able to keep up with that blazing speed that Shai possess.

Richmond Tigers 2023: Scott Gullan secures a rare interview with the new ‘man’ at Punt Road Shai Bolton

Just like his mentor Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton is very hard to pin down for an interview but Scott Gullan was able to secure a rare seven and a half minutes with the Tigers’ new 'man’.
Follow
@gullanHeraldSun

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

There have already been many similarities made between Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin.
Martin was the superstar game-changer who helped inspire Richmond to three premierships. He was the man at Punt Rd and understandably everything revolved around him during that stunning run of success.
Bolton played in two of those flags but now as a new era is dawning at Punt Rd the baton is being changed. Martin is in his twilight years and Bolton is now the man.
They play essentially the same role in new coach Adem Yze’s plans, high impact time through the midfield but are seen more predominantly as dangerous forward options.
Often during games they’ll swap positions with just a nod of the head.
[PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] is Dustin Martin’s heir apparent at Tigerland. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Shai Bolton is Dustin Martin’s heir apparent at Tigerland. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
They are just as in sync off the field when it comes to the media. Martin has famously evaded doing interviews throughout his career with his young protege seemingly following a similar route.
Bolton is as elusive off the field as he is on but when he does get on the other end of the phone – on a Wednesday lunch time with the club saying there is only a five-minute window – he is friendly, relaxed and clearly locked into being the new face of the Tigers.
This moment has been a gradual build. He was an All-Australian in 2022, third in Richmond’s best and fairest last year and signed a new contract which ties him to the Tigers until 2028.
He has played 117 games and kicked 138 goals with commentators, notably Kane Cornes, predicting he was on the cusp of becoming the best player in the game.
At 25 he is at the peak of his powers and was a key factor in the Tigers first victory of the season against Sydney last week.
Bolton loved the Tigers’ pressure in that game, particularly fellow Indigenous small forward Maurice Rioli’s efforts.
“I think our game plan is starting to come through, the way Yze has come to the club and made us feel, real welcoming,” Bolton says. “I think it’s just that he gives us more of a ... just to take on the game which is good and I think it came through on the weekend.
“We had Maurice Rioli crashing in all the time with the pressure. We kind of feed off that, a lot of the small forwards energy, I definitely do as well.
“When I see Maurice chasing down someone it makes me want to go down and chase someone too.”
[PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] loves Maurice Rioli’s pressure. Picture: Michael Klein

Shai Bolton loves Maurice Rioli’s pressure. Picture: Michael Klein
Being the most attacking player in the team, alongside Martin, the new coach’s urging to take it to another level must be music to his ears?
“When ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) was here we were so used to playing a way that he wanted to play and then as soon as Yze has come here, he’s like, take on the game a bit more,” Bolton says.
“There is a bit of a lag effect but once we start moving it will be good, everyone is used to the style now and hopefully we start building.
“It does work for me. Yze is pretty good, he trusts a lot of us players to play with speed and just the way we want to play which is good.”
On his relationship with Martin, Bolton says: “I’ve watched him for a while, seen him up close and we kind of share the role now. Sometimes if he needs to go in the midfield he will go and if I need to go forward I will go forward.
“It’s kind of having that connection with both of us, we know what the other is doing.”
Bolton laughs when it’s pointed out he is now one of the more senior players at Punt Rd and looked upon as a leader of the football club.
“It’s a bit weird because I’m kind of like the older guy now and there are a lot of younger guys coming through,” he says. “It’s good that they can get more experience in the team and with more experience they get better with their confidence.
Some commentators believe [PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] could be the best player in the AFL. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Some commentators believe Shai Bolton could be the best player in the AFL. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“I’m not trying to put too much pressure on myself. I play how I have been playing and hopefully some of the younger boys feed off it. That’s about all.”
With the clock ticking on the interview, Bolton makes a point of warning critics and rival clubs not to underestimate the Tigers despite the injury toll already mounting.
“I think the main thing is if we can bring our pressure,” he says. “The last game against Port Adelaide we were pretty poor in our pressure and that’s where our offence comes.
“I think people were jumping off the Tigers but we have still got a good list and got a couple of young boys coming through and getting more experienced.

“I think we will be all right, we will stick in there because most of our games there has been a goal or so in it, just a couple of things we mess up and might not get the chocolates at the end. But we’re building and that’s part of it.
“I’m enjoying Richmond, it’s good to be a part of it. Yze is a very good coach, he’s pretty chilled and I think all the boys here are pretty happy the way he has come in and gone about it.”
And with that Bolton is gone. The interview clock is stopped at seven-and-a-half minutes which we’re informed is a record for Richmond’s new man.

Richmond Tigers 2023: Scott Gullan secures a rare interview with the new ‘man’ at Punt Road Shai Bolton​

Just like his mentor Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton is very hard to pin down for an interview but Scott Gullan was able to secure a rare seven and a half minutes with the Tigers’ new 'man’.
Follow
@gullanHeraldSun

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

There have already been many similarities made between Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin.
Martin was the superstar game-changer who helped inspire Richmond to three premierships. He was the man at Punt Rd and understandably everything revolved around him during that stunning run of success.
Bolton played in two of those flags but now as a new era is dawning at Punt Rd the baton is being changed. Martin is in his twilight years and Bolton is now the man.
They play essentially the same role in new coach Adem Yze’s plans, high impact time through the midfield but are seen more predominantly as dangerous forward options.
Often during games they’ll swap positions with just a nod of the head.
Shai Bolton is Dustin Martin’s heir apparent at Tigerland. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

They are just as in sync off the field when it comes to the media. Martin has famously evaded doing interviews throughout his career with his young protege seemingly following a similar route.
Bolton is as elusive off the field as he is on but when he does get on the other end of the phone – on a Wednesday lunch time with the club saying there is only a five-minute window – he is friendly, relaxed and clearly locked into being the new face of the Tigers.
This moment has been a gradual build. He was an All-Australian in 2022, third in Richmond’s best and fairest last year and signed a new contract which ties him to the Tigers until 2028.
He has played 117 games and kicked 138 goals with commentators, notably Kane Cornes, predicting he was on the cusp of becoming the best player in the game.
At 25 he is at the peak of his powers and was a key factor in the Tigers first victory of the season against Sydney last week.
Bolton loved the Tigers’ pressure in that game, particularly fellow Indigenous small forward Maurice Rioli’s efforts.
“I think our game plan is starting to come through, the way Yze has come to the club and made us feel, real welcoming,” Bolton says. “I think it’s just that he gives us more of a ... just to take on the game which is good and I think it came through on the weekend.
“We had Maurice Rioli crashing in all the time with the pressure. We kind of feed off that, a lot of the small forwards energy, I definitely do as well.
“When I see Maurice chasing down someone it makes me want to go down and chase someone too.”

Being the most attacking player in the team, alongside Martin, the new coach’s urging to take it to another level must be music to his ears?
“When ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) was here we were so used to playing a way that he wanted to play and then as soon as Yze has come here, he’s like, take on the game a bit more,” Bolton says.
“There is a bit of a lag effect but once we start moving it will be good, everyone is used to the style now and hopefully we start building.
“It does work for me. Yze is pretty good, he trusts a lot of us players to play with speed and just the way we want to play which is good.”
On his relationship with Martin, Bolton says: “I’ve watched him for a while, seen him up close and we kind of share the role now. Sometimes if he needs to go in the midfield he will go and if I need to go forward I will go forward.
“It’s kind of having that connection with both of us, we know what the other is doing.”
Bolton laughs when it’s pointed out he is now one of the more senior players at Punt Rd and looked upon as a leader of the football club.
“It’s a bit weird because I’m kind of like the older guy now and there are a lot of younger guys coming through,” he says. “It’s good that they can get more experience in the team and with more experience they get better with their confidence.
Some commentators believe Shai Bolton could be the best player in the AFL. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

“I’m not trying to put too much pressure on myself. I play how I have been playing and hopefully some of the younger boys feed off it. That’s about all.”
With the clock ticking on the interview, Bolton makes a point of warning critics and rival clubs not to underestimate the Tigers despite the injury toll already mounting.
“I think the main thing is if we can bring our pressure,” he says. “The last game against Port Adelaide we were pretty poor in our pressure and that’s where our offence comes.
“I think people were jumping off the Tigers but we have still got a good list and got a couple of young boys coming through and getting more experienced.

“I think we will be all right, we will stick in there because most of our games there has been a goal or so in it, just a couple of things we mess up and might not get the chocolates at the end. But we’re building and that’s part of it.
“I’m enjoying Richmond, it’s good to be a part of it. Yze is a very good coach, he’s pretty chilled and I think all the boys here are pretty happy the way he has come in and gone about it.”
And with that Bolton is gone. The interview clock is stopped at seven-and-a-half minutes which we’re informed is a record for Richmond’s new man.

Gullan owes us two and a half minutes the campaigner, he better not forget it either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what bothers me? When this guy has a poor day so many are quick to sink the boot in but when he is head and shoulders best on ground this thread is dead.
Today's game backs up my thoughts on him, at his best he'd be a top 10 player in the game if he brings his best consistently.

However he can drift in and out of games and sometimes week to week. The closer these games are together, the higher up the ladder he climbs as a player.

All he needs is to reduce the odd brain fade and make his quiet games less frequent.

Hope he plays for another 8-10 seasons. And with any luck is still flying when we are ready to compete for silverware again.
The most watchable player in the competition.
100%, finishes his career as a pure forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back