Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll preface this by saying I loved Phillips as a prospect, loved that he bought into our club and thought he'd captain us one day.

I watched him very closely in the VFL today. On paper he had an alright game. Over 24 touches playing midfield.

But, he's just cruising. He used to motor between contests and then go hard AF at the ball when it was there for the taking. Yes, I know he was never quick quick, but he had gears. Those gears appear to be gone. It's a symptom of when midfielders have lost all confidence, they sit that 5-10m off a contest and don't seem to know when to crack in and when not to, so they cruise around at 65% of their top speed, running hard, running defensively, but not running well.

If we offered another contract to him this year I'd be disappointed for him if he accepted it. He needs a new environment.

I'll preface this by saying I loved Phillips as a prospect, loved that he bought into our club and thought he'd captain us one day.

I watched him very closely in the VFL today. On paper he had an alright game. Over 24 touches playing midfield.

But, he's just cruising. He used to motor between contests and then go hard AF at the ball when it was there for the taking. Yes, I know he was never quick quick, but he had gears. Those gears appear to be gone. It's a symptom of when midfielders have lost all confidence, they sit that 5-10m off a contest and don't seem to know when to crack in and when not to, so they cruise around at 65% of their top speed, running hard, running defensively, but not running well.

If we offered another contract to him this year I'd be disappointed for him if he accepted it. He needs a new environment.
That's fair - it might be better for everyone

I didn't get a chance to watch today's game but from what you describe, it sounds like he was playing to instruction not to get sucked in to ball hunting as he is supposed to be playing a more defensive sweeping role to prevent easy exits out the front of a contest. It's also possible that what I'm describing are broadly his instructions, but due to lack of confidence, he is taking those instructions way too literally.

Lazz has gotten himself in to supreme physical condition and has improved his disposal massively. I'm fairly confident he can make it, if someone's having an absolute crack at it that's all you can ask.
To a degree fitness is the main lever they can work with, unskilled players generally regardless how much they practice are not going to become the next peter daicos. But effort is always appreciated, part of the reason i was comfortable for turner to get extensions in the absence of better players.

I like him and I'd hate to see him turn it on in another midfield but you might be right sadly.

Yep very sad, but very true.

I think he would know himself he needs a fresh opportunity elsewhere.

Not sure who’s chasing a pure inside mid but maybe we should be asking the bulldogs about a potential deal involving Riley Sanders?

Taking Sanders would allow us to split pick 1 and try to grab Trainor and Kako in the main draft.

Whatever happens I’ll remain a WillPhill fan.

What did we pay for Stephens from the Swans because that's is about all we'll get in a trade for Phillips.

Edit. - Just looked at the Stephens deal, **** we overpaid there. We gave up pick 19 in this upcoming draft and pick 44 last year for pick 25 last year. We ain't getting that for Will.

What did we pay for Stephens from the Swans because that's is about all we'll get in a trade for Phillips.

Edit. - Just looked at the Stephens deal, **** we overpaid there. We gave up pick 19 in this upcoming draft and pick 44 last year for pick 25 last year. We ain't getting that for Will.
Was that pick 19 one of the handouts with all the caviets? If it is it was worth it just for the pick 25 with no sttings attached. Stephens can be the steak knives.

Was that pick 19 one of the handouts with all the caviets? If it is it was worth it just for the pick 25 with no sttings attached. Stephens can be the steak knives.

Yeah, I think you are correct. Unfortunately Stephens has turned out to be butter knives rather than steak knives.

Agree with this. Comparing him in juniors and first few years at AFL level vs. form at VFL/AFL this year is like chalk and cheese. He used to motor around at underage level from contest to contest, winning inside ball, providing excellent defensive pressure with tackling and smothers and help link up play around and from stoppages - none of this is a feature in his game currently.

Kid's got talent but he's just not playing off instinct anymore. He seems to be second guessing and overthinking everything, to the point where he can't play his natural game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people don't attach any importance to points, but the Stephens trade valued him between 33/34.

And further to your point about relativities, I agree that would be what we'd get for Phillips

Agree with this. Comparing him in juniors and first few years at AFL level vs. form at VFL/AFL this year is like chalk and cheese. He used to motor around at underage level from contest to contest, winning inside ball, providing excellent defensive pressure with tackling and smothers and help link up play around and from stoppages - none of this is a feature in his game currently.

Kid's got talent but he's just not playing off instinct anymore. He seems to be second guessing and overthinking everything, to the point where he can't play his natural game.
I really enjoy your posts Souup. Considering his illness and injuries post drafting, do you think it is worth giving him a one year contract to get his body and fitness up to speed?

I know people don't attach any importance to points, but the Stephens trade valued him between 33/34.

And further to your point about relativities, I agree that would be what we'd get for Phillips
Sorry Merlin but I reckon no chance whatsoever getting that much.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Assuming nobody wants him, I'd be okay with letting Will train with us over summer and taking him as a SSP rookie in the new year if he can do the work to get his fitness to AFL standard.

Assuming nobody wants him, I'd be okay with letting Will train with us over summer and taking him as a SSP rookie in the new year if he can do the work to get his fitness to AFL standard.
If he doesn’t get picked up by us he will 100% get picked up by some other club and flourish.

If mahony can get a lifeline then I think WP can too.

If he doesn’t get picked up by us he will 100% get picked up by some other club and flourish.

If mahony can get a lifeline then I think WP can too.
Yeah, I agree that someone will likely rookie him, like GC did Mahony. Not so sure he will flourish elsewhere, though. I also don't mind us giving him a rookie spot (especially if we get to keep our extra ones), but only if he shows he is willing to do the work.

I really enjoy your posts Souup. Considering his illness and injuries post drafting, do you think it is worth giving him a one year contract to get his body and fitness up to speed?

This season is the first time he's had an uninterrupted run at a pre-season and continuity playing. Despite that, he's regressed in basically every single area. I said at the beginning of the year that I would reserve judgement until the end of the year, but so far it's looking terrible.

He looks slow, tentative, weak in the contest and is lacking the zip he had, particularly in juniors. The defensive efforts aren't there either.

The beauty is we're not even halfway through the year yet, so there's still time for him, but the signs aren't great.

I think with this trade you have to look a bit further, we were able to use that pick 25 with pick 21 to get Fisher and pick 17. If you look at it isolated you won’t be able to sleep.

I have given up hope of Phillips making it at North, so anything from here is a bonus.

For whatever reason it just hasn’t worked. I think he will go on and make a career at another club, even if it’s on the fringes, but I can’t see him moving up the pecking order based on current performances and I would think the club for both parties sake will let him explore his options.

I have given up hope of Phillips making it at North, so anything from here is a bonus.

For whatever reason it just hasn’t worked. I think he will go on and make a career at another club, even if it’s on the fringes, but I can’t see him moving up the pecking order based on current performances and I would think the club for both parties sake will let him explore his options.
St.K are after mid-fielders. If Josh Battle could be convinced to come to NM, via a trade, do you think the Saints would be happy to take Will Phil?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back