Autopsy still in it at half time 2 weeks running v Poortaloos,

Remove this Banner Ad

The turnover disease is sweeping through the joint like a virus, today, as well as the usual suspects, i saw both Wardlaw and Sheezel show symptoms
Sheezel has always been our worst player for turnovers. Well "always" means in the years he has been here.

I agree

But honestly the only one that got into him seemed to be Luke11

Pathetic that he’s left to fly the flag
Nah there was one time when Georgie Boy fully gave it too him on the ground. Gave him an earfull and shook around a bit.

You’re a loser with a loser mentality, stop spending your day posting drivel on Bigfooty it will be good for your health
Yep I’m a loser just like you …
But have the balls to call out tripe & request change

George missed and it looks like someone from our forward line says something consoling George and he picks it up and adds something laughing
He knows he's gonna cop it off George for the rest of their careers. Georgie doesn't like him much.

When they called a mark from an 8 metre kick I knew we were in for a long day.

I'd like to see us call it out to be honest. We cop some absolute momentum suckers.

No excuse of course but I do wonder about the impact.
Umps call those kicks for both sides especially on the backline when trying to work thru the press.

They were much much bigger than George in their draft year.

Wardlaw is beating Gibney in nearly every stat and having a better season.

That’s not what I’m saying WB.

I don’t even rate Ginbey and George is a gun.

It’s the body shape. I could pick other players in our team and others in the league.

We are not fit or strong enough.

Sheezel has always been our worst player for turnovers. Well "always" means in the years he has been here.

Are you still trying to push this point? He has the most turnovers because he gets the most ball and generally is tasked with the.more aggressive kicks (similar to.Gulden, who has the most turnovers in the league).

He's not even in the vicinity of the worst. You can wear turnovers if they come through trying to make the play or.open the game up. It's the unforced ones that are the worst, and Harry rarely makes those.

PLayers that should care don't seem to care enough.

So many of them don't have enough intensity about what they do. The don't have enough mongrel or campaigner in them.

Sheeze was impressive today for that. He really stood up and had a go and showed a bit off fight. And aggression around the contest and at the player with the ball. He ran out of puff and probably why we slowed down in the third. he and Wardlaw are ****ed by then. They do alot of hard physical work on their opposition. If they can keep it up for a couple of years they'll be very tough mids.

Even LDU isn't there yet. A couple more years and he'll be at his peak. He cops alot of attention in close and even in the month since I saw him last he is better at fighting thru it. I guess it depends on how big and strong the other player is but he pushed thru alot of close attention today. He had the ball lot more against a much better midfield than Adelaide's cos he could push thru the players holding him back at stoppages.

The stats also back this up. In the first five games he kicked one goal. In the last five he's kicked five and had an extra nearly 2 possessions a game. And its been mostly contested possession. He already seems to be taking that next step, which is dealing with the attention. He's just gonna keep improving the more games he plays. We really need to keep him.

Imagine him as a 10-15% better player just cos he's a bit bigger and stronger and fitter.

He's really had to deal with the attention this year, alot of the time he hasn't even had Jy in there with him let alone anyone else. The more wrestling and scrapping he does the more he's gonna develop the sort of strength and endurance he needs to deal with that sort of attention. If he can stick it out for another two years we'll have stronger midfield support around him i reckon and he'll rip games apart.

PLayers that should care don't seem to care enough.

So many of them don't have enough intensity about what they do. The don't have enough mongrel or campaigner in them.

Sheeze was impressive today for that. He really stood up and had a go and showed a bit off fight. And aggression around the contest and at the player with the ball. He ran out of puff and probably why we slowed down in the third. he and Wardlaw are ****ed by then. They do alot of hard physical work on their opposition. If they can keep it up for a couple of years they'll be very tough mids.

Even LDU isn't there yet. A couple more years and he'll be at his peak. He cops alot of attention in close and even in the month since I saw him last he is better at fighting thru it. I guess it depends on how big and strong the other player is but he pushed thru alot of close attention today. He had the ball lot more against a much better midfield than Adelaide's cos he could push thru the players holding him back at stoppages.

The stats also back this up. In the first five games he kicked one goal. In the last five he's kicked five and had an extra nearly 2 possessions a game. And its been mostly contested possession. He already seems to be taking that next step, which is dealing with the attention. He's just gonna keep improving the more games he plays. We really need to keep him.

Imagine him as a 10-15% better player just cos he's a bit bigger and stronger and fitter.

He's really had to deal with the attention this year, alot of the time he hasn't even had Jy in there with him let alone anyone else. The more wrestling and scrapping he does the more he's gonna develop the sort of strength and endurance he needs to deal with that sort of attention. If he can stick it out for another two years we'll have stronger midfield support around him i reckon and he'll rip games apart.
Really love your posting and it's these relatively positive observations that keep me sane at the moment

Are you still trying to push this point? He has the most turnovers because he gets the most ball and generally is tasked with the.more aggressive kicks (similar to.Gulden, who has the most turnovers in the league).

He's not even in the vicinity of the worst. You can wear turnovers if they come through trying to make the play or.open the game up. It's the unforced ones that are the worst, and Harry rarely makes those.
Someone else brought up his turnovers today. I just pointed out they weren't really that different from any other day. Its just a fact, don't get bent out of shape by it.

When half of those disposals aren't turnovers, and the same with LDU and Wardlaw, we'll be a three or four goal a game better side. They won the ball in contests and then disposed of it under heaps of pressure. (They had 40 contested between the three of them today against a very good midfield. 21 clearances, which matched Ports best three clearance players. Sheeze had 13 contested possessions and 7 clearances.) We need not to waste the opportunities those contest victories provide.

Its not just on them. Some of their turnovers are due to players not competing when those disposals get to them the way George and Sheeze and LDU did today. Not fighting to win the contest with the same intensity or not at least trying to stop their man (ie anyone competing for the same ball,) peeling off for an easy intercept. Hunger for the ball and fighting to win the contest are as (Maybe more) important than defensive intensity I reckon, if you can half then fight and win a contest you don't need to defend.

When players fight and work that hard to win it, other players need to honour that by fighting and working as hard to keep it. Instead of standing there slack jawed and flat footed while opposition players run past them, attack where the contest should have been and win the ball uncontested. Ford got singled out apparently but he wasn't the only one. (Altho i missed that incident.) We'd have a few less turnovers if that happened as well.

Sheeze and George are in their second year. I think their disposal in those difficult cirumstances will improve as they get bigger and stronger and the conhesiveness of the side will improve with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seven positives ...

X is doing okay in the ruck and, remember, has only been our #1 ruckman for 11 games. Plenty of improvement left in him.

2. Comden is a genuinely good CHB who could become a great CHB ... and has only been doing it for 11 games!

3. Powell has improved this year. Has gone from fringe to lock in the mid field.

4. LDU has taken his game to another level. And he's still on the young side. (Please, for the love of God, don't leave us LDU)

5. Fisher is playing well enough to have allowed Sheezle to go forward. And McKercher, who'll be back down there with him after the bye, is a gun.

6. Will Dawson is only 18 for goodness sake. He will be an excellent defender. Again, he's 18!!!!

7. We can't possibly lose next weekend

Really love your posting and it's these relatively positive observations that keep me sane at the moment
There was alot of shit today but you could see LDU was getting better at dealing with attention designed to impede his attack on the ball. I've only been to two games this year, the other one was four weeks ago and this week he looked better in those situations. Stoppages specifically. He seemed to work his way into front position alot today. Last month he struggled with that.

Fitness is one of the issues, agree, but how we rarely identify speed as an issue baffles me. Can’t close down space, can’t open it up. When the Power got on top, they just ran around us at will.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its hard to fathom, people of nearly identical physiques and training i can understand a few % difference in various areas. But being blown away like F1s Vs go carts?

Clarko wanting CHOM to end up playing forward concerns me as I think we’ve found our CHB for the next 10 years. Would be more than comfortable with a Logue/Comben combo in 2025.

I think it says more about his ranking of Larkey atm

He desperately needs help down there and Chom offers an offensive foil

This all depends on how well Logue returns and combines with Corr

It could well work!

In theory, but at least we know we can push Chom back as we did with Drew in occasions when teams got run ons

Last edited:
We have a bunch of lazy plodders . Everyone knows who they are . The whole team has to take a leaf out of George’s book . The kid gives 110% . Way too many passengers. Only way to stop smart arses like Butters Rozzee and the Judas sook from laughing at us is to have a crack .

There was a play in the 3/4 that summed up our team right now. North player took possession of the ball at the back of the square, they ran forward about 3 meters, stopped look sideways (not down the ground) saw a North player about 8m sideways with a Port player standing right next to him.

What does the North player do,
A: move it fast down the ground by foot whilst waiting for a North leading player?
B: kicking it long into our 50m arc to a leading north player?
C: kicking it sideways 8m to the North player manned up by a port player, who turned the ball over resulting in the Port player gaining possession & the ball being kicked quickly in the Port goal square?

There was a play in the 3/4 that summed up our team right now. North player took possession of the ball at the back of the square, they ran forward about 3 meters, stopped look sideways (not down the ground) saw a North player about 8m sideways with a Port player standing right next to him.

What does the North player do,
A: move it fast down the ground by foot whilst waiting for a North leading player?
B: kicking it long into our 50m arc to a leading north player?
C: kicking it sideways 8m to the North player manned up by a port player, who turned the ball over resulting in the Port player gaining possession & the ball being kicked quickly in the Port goal square?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back