Autopsy V geelong @ cattery, Nice that we were still in it at 1/ time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Skills, skills, skills. Cannot believe we are naturally so bad. I know skills improve with confidence and when we had the few highlights early the skills looked better. Tackling is a major issue. Major. How many tackles were just brushed off by Geelong? It became the standard. Surely that's a basic skill we can improve quickly.

That Young “free kick” getting a TikTok vid.

Idk if we can post TikTok in here?
In the AFL now if a player has prior opportunity you no longer need to tackle properly. You can tackle high, jump on their back and do whatever the * you want and it will still be called HTB. This happens across the board, not just to us. Its absolutely shithouse. Once upon a time you still had to tackle legally to get a HTB free. Not any more.

12 Years A Slave GIF

I have been quite supportive of Noble and I thought we should stick with him however this week has me starting to think about things differently. I know we copped a few injuries this week but that second half got me thinking:

How many of our players, outside of the first and second year players, would get a game in another team?

Mahony
Turner
Anderson
Hayden
Ziebs
Atu
Bonar
Stephenson
Coleman-Jones
Larkey

Mahony, has a great football brain but doesn't have the physique to be a hit-up forward. Gets smacked in marking contests and is too small to effectively tackle most bigger bodied players. Statistically below average in most categories

Turner - Virtually every statistical category is below average and he is having a worse year than his career average

Anderson - Slightly above average, is useful because Cunners is out but is not very damaging

Hayden - Below average in most stats. Other than being big bodied hasn't really shown a lot with either run from defense or being able to shut someone down

Ziebs - Love that he bleeds blue and white and has been a brilliant servant to the club but we haven't missed him since he's been gone. Again statistically very average

Atu - Below average statistically but really hasn't had much of a chance to do too much.

Bonar - Another defender with below average stats who really offers nothing offensively

Stephenson - with our gameplan, shown up to be a very average player.

Coleman-Jones - Couldn't get a game with the Tigers and won't get a look in ahead of Goldy and Xerri who have proven to be both pretty durable. Happy that he is banging down the door in the seconds but a bit perplexed why he hasn't been brought in to support Larkey.

Larkey - Too tall to be a power forward (7 of the top 10 forwards are under 200cm.) His lankiness allows others to push him out of position too easy (Ala Brown) so he needs to rely on run to get free of his defender. Rarely brings the ball to ground in a marking contest.

Of these I think maybe Larkey, Anderson and Stephenson might get a regular gig at another club. But then if you look at a player like Stephenson, when he did play in a club with a bit of a system, he looked a million dollars. Perhaps blaming the players is only part of the story. What is the role of the selection committee in perpetuating this ordinariness?

What is wrong with our gameplan then? Why does it fall apart so often? I'm not sure that you can blame it on turnovers when you keep picking players who cannot execute to the level expected. Spicer and Curtis both look better than Mahony as small forwards. Eddie Ford looked more dangerous than Ziebs. Archer comes in for one game and makes more impact than 90% of the medium defenders we have used in the last 4 years.

If we are going to be belted by 100 points then you might as well play Spicer, Matt McGuinness, Patrick Walker, Goater, Dawson and see what they have.

Not sure if having Perez and Taylor in the midfield are the best moves for us. Perez seems like a natural backman and Taylor could add some class in the forward line. He can take a grab and kick goals. He can be the high half-forward who pushes hard into the contest then wheels back to get to the forward fifty entry. He seems to be a below average midfielder but he might have the capacity to be an above average forward.

The flip side is when the opposition plans for us, who do they see as being the biggest threat? Statistically we should have three players in the top 60 for afl ranked players. We have one.

Hall - The only player who gives us drive off halfback
LDU - Some shining class in the midfield
Curtis - Always hits a target and not afraid to tackle
Benny McKay in the backline -Can Actually stop an errant attack with powerful marking and hits targets with his kicks
Zurhaar - Is capable of causing some damaged despite our appalling forward entries
Goldy - Still able to serve it up on a plate to our midfielders
???

There are a few role players that you need to have. Players like Greenwood, Anderson, Powell, Corr, Scott, McDonald, Simpkin, Young all do their job without terrifying to opposition. Some great two-way runners there and tough in the contest to lock things up.

My final question is this: How do we use the rest of the year to ensure next year is not a disaster? And I don't think a complete cull is the answer, nor do I think simply accepting the way things are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turned it on half way through the third — first time I can remember for a long time that I just haven’t cared. Just didn’t care that we were playing. Hanging out with a lovely new lady who has no interest in or knowledge of football and she was like “go on, turn it on, I wanna see what it’s like”. I saw maybe 6 inside 50’s and 1 behind. The woman next to me who had never watched a foootball match before observed that we “looked s**t. They don’t know what they’re doing. They aren’t connected to each other”.

If Noble has any decency he’ll walk this week. No point prolonging the inevitable.

So our North joeys were crunched by the Cats senior citizens. Not that surprising.
Let’s be honest, we are in a rebuild.
Looking to find blame might take us all the way back to the 2014 and the following years. Where are our 100 gamers? Durdin, Neilson, Vickers-Willis, Clarke, Hibberd, Mountford, Watson, Williams, Walker, Hartung?
Then look at who was missing yesterday through injury, illness, personal leave.
Ziebell, Polec (who we gave up a first round pick for), Comben (Garner 2.0), Bailey Scott, Will Phillips, JHF, TT, Bergman, Archer.
Add to that the injuries to Hall and Turner, two of our more experienced players, in the first quarter.
The fact is we are being forced to play young players before they should be. Think about how GWS were easy beats in their early days.
It hurts!
None of the outs would’ve made much difference

Turned it on half way through the third — first time I can remember for a long time that I just haven’t cared. Just didn’t care that we were playing. Hanging out with a lovely new lady who has no interest in or knowledge of football and she was like “go on, turn it on, I wanna see what it’s like”. I saw maybe 6 inside 50’s and 1 behind. The woman next to me who had never watched a foootball match before observed that we “looked s**t. They don’t know what they’re doing. They aren’t connected to each other”.

If Noble has any decency he’ll walk this week. No point prolonging the inevitable.
That's the scary reality

None of the outs would’ve made much difference
And I forgot Bonar (Garner 3.0)
And I didn’t mention some of the other delisted players; Mason ‘looks like Tarzan - Plays like Jane’ Wood and Trent ‘best clubman’ Dumont etc, etc, etc.

So many negatives, but Kane Cornes chooses to single out the boys clapping off Duncan after the game as his big bug bear? He cannot be serious with some of the opinions he puts forward, no one can be this stupid.

Well if you are going to be excited by an Essendon win, any Essendon win, then you will be "exited" from here.
No I won’t be . It’s because I picked them in my tipping comp . Only one to do so . I’ve been here too long to be exited. It was supposed to read excited 😜

I have been quite supportive of Noble and I thought we should stick with him however this week has me starting to think about things differently. I know we copped a few injuries this week but that second half got me thinking:

How many of our players, outside of the first and second year players, would get a game in another team?

Mahony
Turner
Anderson
Hayden
Ziebs
Atu
Bonar
Stephenson
Coleman-Jones
Larkey

Mahony, has a great football brain but doesn't have the physique to be a hit-up forward. Gets smacked in marking contests and is too small to effectively tackle most bigger bodied players. Statistically below average in most categories

Turner - Virtually every statistical category is below average and he is having a worse year than his career average

Anderson - Slightly above average, is useful because Cunners is out but is not very damaging

Hayden - Below average in most stats. Other than being big bodied hasn't really shown a lot with either run from defense or being able to shut someone down

Ziebs - Love that he bleeds blue and white and has been a brilliant servant to the club but we haven't missed him since he's been gone. Again statistically very average

Atu - Below average statistically but really hasn't had much of a chance to do too much.

Bonar - Another defender with below average stats who really offers nothing offensively

Coleman-Jones - Couldn't get a game with the Tigers and won't get a look in ahead of Goldy and Xerri who have proven to be both pretty durable. Happy that he is banging down the door in the seconds but a bit perplexed why he hasn't been brought in to support Larkey.

Larkey - Too tall to be a power forward (7 of the top 10 forwards are under 200cm.) His lankiness allows others to push him out of position too easy (Ala Brown) so he needs to rely on run to get free of his defender. Rarely brings the ball to ground in a marking contest.

Of these I think maybe Larkey, Anderson and Stephenson might get a regular gig at another club. But then if you look at a player like Stephenson, when he did play in a club with a bit of a system, he looked a million dollars. Perhaps blaming the players is only part of the story. What is the role of the selection committee in perpetuating this ordinariness?

What is wrong with our gameplan then? Why does it fall apart so often? I'm not sure that you can blame it on turnovers when you keep picking players who cannot execute to the level expected. Spicer and Curtis both look better than Mahony as small forwards. Eddie Ford looked more dangerous than Ziebs. Archer comes in for one game and makes more impact than 90% of the medium defenders we have used in the last 4 years.

If we are going to be belted by 100 points then you might as well play Spicer, Matt McGuinness, Patrick Walker, Goater, Dawson and see what they have.

Not sure if having Perez and Taylor in the midfield are the best moves for us. Perez seems like a natural backman and Taylor could add some class in the forward line. He can take a grab and kick goals. He can be the high half-forward who pushes hard into the contest then wheels back to get to the forward fifty entry. He seems to be a below average midfielder but he might have the capacity to be an above average forward.

The flip side is when the opposition plans for us, who do they see as being the biggest threat? Statistically we should have three players in the top 60 for afl ranked players. We have one.

Benny McKay in the backline -Can Actually stop an errant attack with powerful marking and hits targets with his kicks
Zurhaar - Is capable of causing some damaged despite our appalling forward entries
???

There are a few role players that you need to have. Players like Greenwood, Anderson, Powell, Corr, Scott, McDonald, Simpkin, Young all do their job without terrifying to opposition. Some great two-way runners there and tough in the contest to lock things up.

My final question is this: How do we use the rest of the year to ensure next year is not a disaster? And I don't think a complete cull is the answer, nor do I think simply accepting the way things are.

Yep agree - more debutants please

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok.

Noble is gone.

But it wasn't necessarily all his fault.

Yes sure Noble is *en useless, as we should be much better than this, but his dismissal is only one part imo.

I'm not against Rawlings getting axed at the same to be honest.

We need change and we need it now, I have no trust anymore in our decisions but we must do something and now.

Mahony
Turner
Anderson
Hayden
Ziebs
Atu
Bonar
Stephenson
Coleman-Jones
Larkey

???

Nice write up.

On the forward line players, forwards look 100x better when they get lace out delivery. Tony Lockett couldn't kick goals from our forward entries.

Larkey got one real opportunity last night, and in that opportunity he out bodied his opponent and scored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back