Were we actually robbed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isnt our doctor allowed to review any head knock in game and do a concussion test, even if the player isn't showing signs of any symptoms?
Not sure what our docs were doing when Shiels was on the ground after the knock.

Isnt our doctor allowed to review any head knock in game and do a concussion test, even if the player isn't showing signs of any symptoms?
Yes, and by my reading of the regulations, that would have satisfied the criteria for an exemption on that interchange, with the club being obliged to submit a written explanation by the next working day...

1684839175391.png

If they'd been smart enough to think of it they would have asked the doc to do the concussion test on Shiels and called this out to the AFL Interchange Steward - they just had to soak up 45 seconds or so and the siren would have sounded.

Yes, and by my reading of the regulations, that would have satisfied the criteria for an exemption on that interchange, with the club being obliged to submit a written explanation by the next working day...

View attachment 1695071

If they'd been smart enough to think of it they would have asked the doc to do the concussion test on Shiels and called this out to the AFL Interchange Steward - they just had to soak up 45 seconds or so and the siren would have sounded.
Club isn’t savvy to bullshit on the spot and get the doctor involved.
Just think yeh head knock go back through the vision and sah yeh nah all good. Fukc me they would have been vindicated

Club isn’t savvy to bullshit on the spot and get the doctor involved.
Just think yeh head knock go back through the vision and sah yeh nah all good. Fukc me they would have been vindicated
I wonder if this interchange had happened in the second quarter it could have been wiped because the club reports that the player has concussion. In this case there was no time allowed.

I wonder if this interchange had happened in the second quarter it could have been wiped because the club reports that the player has concussion. In this case there was no time allowed.
Yep.. timing was against us.. it’s just genuine bad luck all round isn’t it

Clearly, the AFL regulations around interchange infringements were not fully thought through. In the case of the weekend's breech the penalty was applied immediately, which is correct, but the regulations allow for a please explain t be submitted by the next working day to allow for relief against a breech if certain conditions (such as head injury or blood rule) occur. The regulations are NQR (Not Quite Right) in my opinion.

I understand the necessity to close loopholes that teams will exploit wherever possible, but the only way I can see for the situation that occurred on the weekend to be made compatible with the regulation is for the club making the change to engage with the AFL medical officer and the interchange steward if the cap has been exceeded, and in that case, the medico has 20 minutes to examine the player, make a diagnosis and only if they determine the interchange was unjustified, can the interchange steward award a penalty for the breech.

By which time it would almost certainly be the case that the match had finished.

So the real solution is to determine some other form of penalty. The only thing I can think of is a fine against the club.

Sorry if it’s been discussed but why was there a free against Goldy in the last 20 seconds? Didn’t look like there was anything in it at all.
I don't actually understand the ruck rules well (because I see things that get paid a free then see it get unpaid at the next 2 ruck contests) but he did stiff arm the other ruckman in the chest to prevent him from getting to the ball. I assume that counted as a pushout or block or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back