Were we actually robbed?

Remove this Banner Ad

It has happened in big games before.

And do we really want a no-name AFL steward physically restraining players?
If he is stopping the team from receiving a free kick and 50 against, I absolutely would want that.

But I'm not talking about physically restraining players as a general practice but something as simple as yelling out to players coming to interchange that they are over the limit.

This seemed to work for multiple 6-6-6 infractions by the Swans rather than handing out free kicks.

I'm glad some folk realised my call for major sacking was a joke. Thought the suggestion of public flagellation may have been a clue. Now the dust has settles somewhat it seems a simple error compounded by Howe(?) self interchanging. Stiff I suppose but the ultimate cost to us. We become the first ever team beaten by an admin error. Shame it wasn't paid when it happened and the ball was in our 50. Still, lots of positives from the game and given our outs and the week leading in, an excellent effort from the boys.

I'm glad some folk realised my call for major sacking was a joke. Thought the suggestion of public flagellation may have been a clue. Now the dust has settles somewhat it seems a simple error compounded by Howe(?) self interchanging. Stiff I suppose but the ultimate cost to us. We become the first ever team beaten by an admin error. Shame it wasn't paid when it happened and the ball was in our 50. Still, lots of positives from the game and given our outs and the week leading in, an excellent effort from the boys.

Shiels. Poor old Howe, his whipping boy status gets him dragged into everything bad automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was a sign that the umpires are ******* useless and have no idea of what they are doing.

I bet if the reverse happened and it was Sydney, that campaigner Fisher would have halted play and let the doctors clear the area.
Agree and disagree. They would have paid it to us as well. Again, it's the standard of umpiring thats the problem. They're s**t across the board. Interestingly though, we're not relevant enough to the AFL, so when we play teams that affect their hip pocket or teams they've invested in, our only way is to be better. And at the moment we're not, but it'll be interesting to see when we are, another rule change? Corey would be watching closely.

It was probably a volunteer from NM and the AFL interchange steward would have been a casual on $28p/h.

It’s like the timekeepers who are also usuallly on a McDonald’s voucher and free parking.

Fills you with confidence
A now deceased mate if mine, best cricket ump I ever saw, did the Port Melbourne interchange for years and always did the job for the VFA in the finals.
He would not allowed any errors

Has anyone asked the question about Rampe's role on Saturday? Why was he on the bench? He's an injured player, not a coach or matchday official. Surely you can't have randoms sitting on the bench and running up and down the boundary, soliciting free kicks.

I didn't think it was possible to hate him more than I already did, but here we are.

Well stated by Todd. The people who were managing the bench and interchanges will be absolutely gutted by what happened - they'd passionate North Melbourne people and the loss will haunt them for a lot longer than it hurts a darn lot of other people.

Pressure situations involving multiple people, all under some level of duress, in this case, attempting to ensure that the team on the ground is optimised in the last one frantic minute of the match, need to be well rehearsed. You can't make the process up as you go along - everybody needs to know what to do but also, when to do it and who has the ultimate call and that person must be 100% prepared to manage the situation by being totally in control.

Has anyone asked the question about Rampe's role on Saturday? Why was he on the bench? He's an injured player, not a coach or matchday official. Surely you can't have randoms sitting on the bench and running up and down the boundary, soliciting free kicks.

I didn't think it was possible to hate him more than I already did, but here we are.
I think there's a certain number of people you can have on the bench.

Here's Matt Rowell from a couple of years ago doing something when injured.

d2d004100ec544c7f95cf73620626eaf

I wonder if old mate will use the words to describe the AFL interchange steward as he did when Geelong were penalised for an interchange infringement:

"CO-HOST Gerard Whateley saved his best for last during last night's episode.

The usually mild-mannered and even-tempered AFL journalist went off, branding the league's interchange steward officiating the Geelong-Hawthorn blockbuster as a "car-parking attendant" with an "over inflated opinion of who he is".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not throwing anyone under the bus or allocating blame (although I guess its going to look that way) my observation from that footage is that Shiels taps Powell on the shoulder as he runs off, the Interchange Steward is looking the other way, turns round sees Powell then gestures towards Shiel yelling hey what are you doing? (Shiel is in pain with his back to the steward) I suppose the learning from that for all players is 'you don't enter the field of play unless the interchange steward gives you the nod':(

Dear North Melbourne Football Club, your order of four x Dog Chain Stainless Steel Iron Pet Leash Anti Chewing 150cm Length Lead with neck Collar in Royal Blue will be dispatched by Australia Post couriers within 24 hours. Please ensure that somebody is available to collect the order or they will be re-directed to your nearest Post Office.

Tracking ID: 20260520_75

From My:Deal

5c74f4425a63167525eac6a7-2-large.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the AFL class as an "injury interchange" which is nowtcounted in the normal number of rotations with Liam Shiels coming off with hamstring cramp...

People have been abusing and threatening these staff. It’s not super funny.

People have been abusing and threatening these staff. It’s not super funny.
Really? How? A few social media posts? 99% of people (inc me) would have no idea who he, she or they is or are. Jeepers.

I wonder if old mate will use the words to describe the AFL interchange steward as he did when Geelong were penalised for an interchange infringement:

"CO-HOST Gerard Whateley saved his best for last during last night's episode.

The usually mild-mannered and even-tempered AFL journalist went off, branding the league's interchange steward officiating the Geelong-Hawthorn blockbuster as a "car-parking attendant" with an "over inflated opinion of who he is".

Gerard could very well be describing himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back