Were we actually robbed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Melbourne, a Melbourne club (the example I was thinking of was Hawthorne). Just hypothetical anyway. My point was that WCE could trade their #1 to some other club.
Ahh I see. Well apart from MelbourneFC (of Melbourne clubs), we are the only other club to have two picks in the first round. This is what you need for a #1 pick trade for a team that wants to hasten its rebuild and is in a position where its forced out of the number 1 pick due to location problems, it gives them effectively the number 1 pick they could hope to choose, and another one in the first round (paying overs by ~500 points if things stay as they do).

Last edited:

Ahh I see. Well apart from MelbourneFC, we are the only other club to have two picks in the first round. This is what you need for a #1 pick trade for a team that wants to hasten its rebuild and is in a position where its forced out of the number 1 pick due to location problems, it gives them effectively the number 1 pick they could hope to choose, and another one in the first round (paying overs by ~500 points if things stay as they do).
Thank you for the information.

What I am thankful for is it wasn’t an important game like a final. When we do get into these types of games our players need to learn to finish teams off when you have the chance.Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.
Yeah. Despite the umpiring we had opportunities to make this irrelevant.

And just to reiterate. If the umpiring was good we'd have won anyway

but why leave it up to them.

Sack the incompetents who cost us a game. I'm over accepting second rate efforts. They have to be sacked today. Any other choice shows what a soft hugging club we have become. Make an example of the fool/s. Maybe even consider a public flagellation.
Wardlaw, Sheezel and larkey all missed easily gettable shots (by their standards) that cost us the game.

JZ's dump kick after the failed free went straight to a swans player for a goal. Sack them all yeah cos their mistakes cost us the game.

I wonder if George would have liked a win in his first game , Every win is important to young players reguardless.
Of course he would have but at the same time sometimes getting ripped off makes you stronger and more resilient and that may be worth it in the long run.

I think effort is more important for us currently. Amd sure George realises we arn't any good. And in 12 months you'll all look back at see it for what it was.
Wins absolutely matter, as they give belief. If I went back through posters over the last 4 years I will find many a poster saying just wait 12 months.

Also, we have squandered future members by being so ordinary for some years now. Right now, the only new members we get are from parents like me who force their kids to support the Roos. We aren't getting a new ones as they are all headed to the Dees, Cats, and Tigers who quite frankly don't need anymore.

I'm still unclear on several things. Is the interchange steward employed by North or the AFL? Also should we (and did we) get a warning when we only had one left? And when did the infringement actually happen? I've heard now that Phillips & Shiel were the 76 & 77 interchange???. Also heard Buckley say on SEN that the stewards would often physically stop the players from going on when they knew they have used up their interchanges.

I know one thing for sure, the AFL was always going to sign off on everything being done above board and to the rules.

Last edited:
I'm still unclear on several things. Is the interchange steward employed by North or the AFL? Also should we (and did we) get a warning when we only had one left? And when did the infringement actually happen? I've heard now that Phillips & Shiel were the 76 & 77 interchange???. Also heard Buckley say on SEN that the stewards would often physically ****** the players from going on when they knew they have used up their interchanges.

I know one thing for sure, the AFL was always going to sign off on everything being done above board and to the rules.
I mentioned this earlier, there is no way this wouldn't have happened before if the AFL steward wasn't normally either physically stopping players or strongly calling out to the team when you don't have any more rotations.

Sure, we make the subs and we own the problem.

But if this happened to the Pies in yesterday's Pies v Blues match, the conversation would be totally different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned this earlier, there is no way this wouldn't have happened before if the AFL steward wasn't normally either physically stopping players or strongly calling out to the team when you don't have any more rotations.

Sure, we make the subs and we own the problem.

But if this happened to the Pies in yesterday's Pies v Blues match, the conversation would be totally different.
It has happened in big games before.

And do we really want a no-name AFL steward physically restraining players?

was at the game, just got around to watching the replay. There's a fair bit of bad umpiring but honestly wasn't as bad as i thought it was at the time.

would even go as far to say the bottle throwing at the end was embarrassing. there's been far worse games.

with that said, the communication to us at the stadium needs to be better.

The free against us in the last quarter because our runner/medical guy interfered with OUR player was a sure sign we were not destined to win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It was a sign that the umpires are ******* useless and have no idea of what they are doing.

I bet if the reverse happened and it was Sydney, that campaigner Fisher would have halted play and let the doctors clear the area.

Bit of conspiracy theory but l find it hard to believe that we could absolutely f'ed up the interchange seeing as the AFL have a person who counts both teams interchages, each team keeps count of their interchanges and the bench to the assistants above in the box should be informed when they have a certain amount of inters left - find it very hard to believe that Dane Rampe knew we had a breech before we did!
Clever tanking? Surely not but it is a clever but cruel way if it was!

I don't think we were robbed, it was our mistake, but I think everybody associated with and who supports the club felt a little dagger in the heart at the end of the game. Only the PF loss in 1994 and the GF loss in 1998 felt more gut wrenching that Saturday.

I'm still unclear on several things. Is the interchange steward employed by North or the AFL? Also should we (and did we) get a warning when we only had one left? And when did the infringement actually happen? I've heard now that Phillips & Shiel were the 76 & 77 interchange???. Also heard Buckley say on SEN that the stewards would often physically stop the players from going on when they knew they have used up their interchanges.

I think Buckley may have been referring to the club steward rather than the AFL steward restraining players and certainly that was the case in the days and weeks after Sydney's 19th man debacle when the AFL set up their sticky note process and players couldn't run on until the interchange had been approved.

Bit of conspiracy theory but l find it hard to believe that we could absolutely f'ed up the interchange seeing as the AFL have a person who counts both teams interchages, each team keeps count of their interchanges and the bench to the assistants above in the box should be informed when they have a certain amount of inters left - find it very hard to believe that Dane Rampe knew we had a breech before we did!
Clever tanking? Surely not but it is a clever but cruel way if it was!
Apparently there is a screen with the count mounted somewhere in the interchange area. You can see our players on the bench looking back towards something once the realisation sets in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back