AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Late out with calf tightness - 19/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Frustrating considering an apparent excellent PS

Is a concern at this age
???
Now pre season is what happens before round 1 ?
Missed the first two rounds .

So does Parish have to earn his place back through the vfl or automatic inclusion when he's fit again?

An interesting point. Now that Shiel’s in the side, I think he stays in.

Tsatas would have to be playing incredibly well to hold out Parish you’d think.

Unless they just shift the magnets around and drop Davey.

Runs from November to round 1
So he did not have a great pre season. He got injured before round 1. You do not win the Melbourne Cup if you get run down in the last 100 meters.

So he did not have a great pre season. He got injured before round 1. You do not win the Melbourne Cup if you get run down in the last 100 meters.
My understanding is that Parish was having a great preseason until he got injured. He looked very good in one of the preseason games. But yeah, obviously it was marred by the injury

My understanding is that Parish was having a great preseason until he got injured. He looked very good in one of the preseason games. But yeah, obviously it was marred by the injury
I know. I saw most of it in Jan / Feb match sim :)
Problem is he broke down before round 1 so there was an issue . Maybe he did not need to have as much work early on.:)

Just because you dont win doesnt mean you havnt had a great race
If you lead until the 100 mark and fade out and finish in the back half it is not a great race. In fact it is pretty bad as a large percentage of horses do not fully recover after blowing up in the last 400 meters or so. Parish did not make it to round 1 so it does not matter how good he was in Jan or Feb. The idea is to set your season up. So far his season is a bust. Missed two. Took 3 to get going and is now out for 3 to 5 weeks. You do not think they will not be looking at his pre season now ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you lead until the 100 mark and fade out and finish in the back half it is not a great race. In fact it is pretty bad as a large percentage of horses do not fully recover after blowing up in the last 400 meters or so. Parish did not make it to round 1 so it does not matter how good he was in Jan or Feb. The idea is to set your season up. So far his season is a bust. Missed two. Took 3 to get going and is now out for 3 to 5 weeks. You do not think they will not be looking at his pre season now ?
They look at everyones PS at the end of each year

And they'll all agree that having an injury at the end of his preseason was problematic.
Obviously if injuries could be avoided the week of the season starting then we wouldnt have any injuries during that time

I dont think missing 5% of PS even towards the end equates to a poor PS

Guthrie missed longer and Scott said hed had a great PS, this is said many times

We can't always predict when soft tissue injuries will occur, there are plenty of variables

The issue may more so be whats happened since initial injury to now

If hed missed 2 games and then returned and no reinjured it wouldnt be an issue

Obviously if injuries could be avoided the week of the season starting then we wouldnt have any injuries during that time

I dont think missing 5% of PS even towards the end equates to a poor PS

Guthrie missed longer and Scott said hed had a great PS, this is said many times

We can't always predict when soft tissue injuries will occur, there are plenty of variables

The issue may more so be whats happened since initial injury to now

If hed missed 2 games and then returned and no reinjured it wouldnt be an issue
But he did return and did get injured again and he now has a history of calf issues so obviously 95% of his pre season was an issue . Maybe he needed a Jake Stringer pre season where he was eased into the program a bit more. You can spin it any way you want but his season is now in trouble.

But he did return and did get injured again and he now has a history of calf issues so obviously 95% of his pre season was an issue . Maybe he needed a Jake Stringer pre season where he was eased into the program a bit more. You can spin it any way you want but his season is now in trouble.
Jake Stringer is a far different athlete and has far different injury history, hes also considerably older. Its comparing apples and oranges

Sometimes injuries are originally unavoidable, i think the injury list across the AFL is showing that

I just dont buy that a great PS necessarily means playing round 1
Like a preseason calf injury?
No idea what your saying here

No idea what your saying here

His 'excellent' preseason included a calf injury. He's now out, again, with a calf injury.

Best evidence synthesis highlights chronological age and previous history of calf strain are the strongest risk factors for future calf muscle injury.

All preseasons are excellent until you break down with load or injury. If you're not getting through the preseason without breaking down, you haven't had an excellent preseason, you've have an excellent block of training then gotten injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back