AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Late out with calf tightness - 19/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Parish has more brownlow votes then all of them combined
Brownlow is a midfield comp so a little unfair to blokes like Langford and Stringer... however you point is spot on. I'll never know why some players don't get the 'love' in terms of supporters and others are greeted with open arms failure after failure.

I suspect oppo coaches and our own coaching group recognise the importance of parish.. and he will only get better if he keeps this defensive intent.

I'll never know why some players don't get the 'love' in terms of supporters and others are greeted with open arms failure after failure.
Because people see and think the game differently.

This thread in serious danger of become “haters” v fanboy’s. There is a middle ground here.

Haters in inverted commas because having a view on his football ability is not “hating.” Not directed at you outersanctum.

Lightning hands out of a stoppage though hey.
Anyone can do that if they are allowed to be near a stoppage 😬

I do think we have moved on from Parish as midfield saviour and are better for it.

But Bruno’s “was inside, is now outside” dichotomy isn’t real. Yes the centre bounce mix has changed, but around the ground Parish is still inside plenty of contests. It’s not black and white.

Bruno’s point about Parish’s weakness in taking contact is right I believe. If he could do that he would be elite.

Instead we have what we have. A very good but not elite runner with incredibly sticky hands who is elite at distributing from inside to out. He has worked on the part of his game we really needed him to which was his willingness to tackle and defend. His disposal by foot is average to good.

Overall with this mix I don’t rate Parish as elite but I do rate him as very good. And by that I mean he would be a starter in any team in the AFL except maybe Sydney. And I also mean he is noticeably better than a VFL replacement type like Jackson Hately.

Parish isn’t paid superstar money. He’s paid to be a good contributor and with him maybe behind Caldwell and Durham I’m actually now more comfortable than less about our midfield mix.

I think we gotta have at least one but preferably two of parish, stringer and Durham at every centre bounce. All are elite in that area.

I love parish in cb it’s where he is truly special, but around the ground stoppage and throw ins he is far too selfish. He doesn’t nullify oppo while engaging and if no one goes to him is more than happy to stand alone at stoppage. Which generally frees up oppos best around the ground stoppage player.

For him to take the next step in my eyes he needs to play more team system rather than trying to be a free man at stoppage. In cb he can do as he pleases, but around the ground he is far less effective due to his size.

I think the more balanced and two way our midfield is the deeper into finals we can go.

Also glad to see parish back in form.

11 marks (most for EFC)
5 tackles (equal most for EFC)
6 i50s (3rd most for EFC)
6 clearances (2nd most for EFC)
6 score involvements (2nd most for EFC)
499m gained (3rd most for EFC)

If this is what we get each week I'm pretty OK with it.
I'm not getting into the debate on parish so much, but stats can mean a lot, but they can also mean not much.

An example is that Zac Merrett is rated the 70th best player in the AFL this year according to the champion data stats so far (according to what I heard on SEN today).

Langford, Stringer, Redman, McGrath, McKay, Caldwell, Durham all ahead of him IMO.
It’s a decent list this… does draw a good line between haters (he’s terrible) and the fan boys (he’s top few at club)

Parish is a good player.

We have more depth and quality now.

Better teams have guys like Parish in them but not in their top couple of players. Hopefully that means were on the way up.

I'm not getting into the debate on parish so much, but stats can mean a lot, but they can also mean not much.

An example is that Zac Merrett is rated the 70th best player in the AFL this year according to the champion data stats so far (according to what I heard on SEN today).
And champion data also repeatedly say that it is only a stats based ranking and there are plenty of other factors involved when actually rating players outside the stats. That is what they do. Deal in stats. It is then up to the user to apply those stats to what they are evaluating. They never claim their stats to be the be all and end all.
I find stats important but only when I have watched a game a couple of times and I want to review some stuff. Or before I watch a replay of a game I have seen live or watched live. When I go live I never actually look at the stats until after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone can do that if they are allowed to be near a stoppage 😬

I do think we have moved on from Parish as midfield saviour and are better for it.

But Bruno’s “was inside, is now outside” dichotomy isn’t real. Yes the centre bounce mix has changed, but around the ground Parish is still inside plenty of contests. It’s not black and white.

Bruno’s point about Parish’s weakness in taking contact is right I believe. If he could do that he would be elite.

Instead we have what we have. A very good but not elite runner with incredibly sticky hands who is elite at distributing from inside to out. He has worked on the part of his game we really needed him to which was his willingness to tackle and defend. His disposal by foot is average to good.

Overall with this mix I don’t rate Parish as elite but I do rate him as very good. And by that I mean he would be a starter in any team in the AFL except maybe Sydney. And I also mean he is noticeably better than a VFL replacement type like Jackson Hately.

Parish isn’t paid superstar money. He’s paid to be a good contributor and with him maybe behind Caldwell and Durham I’m actually now more comfortable than less about our midfield mix.
I agree . I did not agree with the fact that Bruno said he has no impact as he does but as you say we do not need him do be something he is not and be the guy in the middle that carries the side.
My argument has always been he is a very good player like you have said but he is not irreplaceable and if he got injured next week then Shiel could slot into his role and have close to the same output.
He can play a role and now we have a different mix in the middle we do not have to worry that he will not bulldoze out of a clearance.
:)

I agree . I did not agree with the fact that Bruno said he has no impact as he does but as you say we do not need him do be something he is not and be the guy in the middle that carries the side.
My argument has always been he is a very good player like you have said but he is not irreplaceable and if he got injured next week then Shiel could slot into his role and have close to the same output.
He can play a role and now we have a different mix in the middle we do not have to worry that he will not bulldoze out of a clearance.
:)
I also think it wasn't healthy for Parish to think of himself as the side's best player.

If players have always been a ball winning gun through their junior career (which he was) they sometimes think themselves above doing the basics, and to me that looked true of Parish as he first broke out. Was racking up 40+ touches but walking on defensive transition.

I reckon Scott deserves massive praise for pulling Parish in line. You could see last year that he challenged Parish on his defensive game.

The fact that this year Durham and Caldwell have emerged as not just stars, but hard and disciplined stars, sets that standard even higher for Parish. If he wants to be number 1 again he's gonna need to earn it.

Too early to be calling Caldwell a star

He has shown this before

In regards to Parish, im not sure what the debate is and there is a still a bit to play out as to whether hes one of our main CBA guys or being puahed down the pecking order or not

The WCE game is 1 game, we played 1 less tall meaning Stringer wasnt required in the middle as much and Caldwell got injured fairly early on aswell

Or has he returned after a hamstring injury and taken time to build back up

For me hes an excellent CBA mid, im still am amazed at his cleanliness and dynamics in the middle, he thrives with more space ie CBA - the greatest space orientated part of the game then general stoppage which usually has both wingers far closer, a half fwd from each side around stoppage ect

I still really like Stringer in at CBAs as the striker, i dont think Caldwell necessarily needs to start in there

Give me Stringer, Zerrett, Parish and Durham as the main 4 CBA mids

I think what were doing at the moment is pretty much that

I do feel if he was uncontracted as a FA right now after seeing Durham then we may have tried to ease him out for pick 10

And champion data also repeatedly say that it is only a stats based ranking and there are plenty of other factors involved when actually rating players outside the stats. That is what they do. Deal in stats. It is then up to the user to apply those stats to what they are evaluating. They never claim their stats to be the be all and end all.
I find stats important but only when I have watched a game a couple of times and I want to review some stuff. Or before I watch a replay of a game I have seen live or watched live. When I go live I never actually look at the stats until after the game.

That model is utterly broken anyway as it is subjective, not objective. They have assigned values to what they think are valuable.

For example, Merrett was top ten in defensive pressure and top twenty in another type of defensive act. He was 72nd for effective disposal and yet that somehow equated to 70th total meaning they value effective disposal far more than defensive pressure and whatever the other stat was.

Quick edit - I understand all models are slightly subjective but their values are what are our of whack.

That model is utterly broken anyway as it is subjective, not objective. They have assigned values to what they think are valuable.

For example, Merrett was top ten in defensive pressure and top twenty in another type of defensive act. He was 72nd for effective disposal and yet that somehow equated to 70th total meaning they value effective disposal far more than defensive pressure and whatever the other stat was.

Quick edit - I understand all models are slightly subjective but their values are what are our of whack.
The model is not broken. People using it as a be all and end all comparison is what is broken. It is a stats based list. That is all it is. Not sure how many times they can say it is not an actual indicator of the best players. It is just a rating based on all the stats they collect. It is not designed to be a definitive list. Merrett obviously rates a bit lower in some of the stats they collect. That is all. If it was broken then the clubs would not pay for it. People just have to see it for what it is. Purely a collaboration of all the stats.

The model is not broken. People using it as a be all and end all comparison is what is broken. It is a stats based list. That is all it is. Not sure how many times they can say it is not an actual indicator of the best players. It is just a rating based on all the stats they collect. It is not designed to be a definitive list. Merrett obviously rates a bit lower in some of the stats they collect. That is all. If it was broken then the clubs would not pay for it. People just have to see it for what it is. Purely a collaboration of all the stats.

The clubs pay for their data because it has alot of valuable data points.

Their playerX rating though is useless clickbait nonsense. No club is paying for that.

I think the CD stats are very useful

Just wish they were easily available to the general public like stats for american sports are, we seem to get all the CD data drip fed to us by a couple of talking heads who have set opinions re trends and use the stats to back this up instead of developing their opinions based on the data.

Also think alot of the footy analysts need to read "Black Swan", they all seem to base their opinion on what successful systems / strategies are, using only historical data and are very slow to accept new game plans that buck existing trends (case in point David King continously writing off the Macrae game plan in 22 and early in 23 because it didnt fit the profile of teams like richmond/dees etc).

The clubs pay for their data because it has alot of valuable data points.

Their playerX rating though is useless clickbait nonsense. No club is paying for that.
Like I keep saying. If you know what it is then it is not an issue. Champion Data themselves have been at pains to tell people what it is but the sheep factor keeps seeing people jumping up and down over nothing in particular. Seems to me the only reason it could make waves is if you do not understand how and why they formulate them. They are a stats based company. They publish a stats based list. That is what they do. It is simply based on recorded stats and not meant to be anything more. Click bate does not come into it as the average joe can not access the data base.

Last edited:
I think the CD stats are very useful

Just wish they were easily available to the general public like stats for american sports are, we seem to get all the CD data drip fed to us by a couple of talking heads who have set opinions re trends and use the stats to back this up instead of developing their opinions based on the data.

Also think alot of the footy analysts need to read "Black Swan", they all seem to base their opinion on what successful systems / strategies are, using only historical data and are very slow to accept new game plans that buck existing trends (case in point David King continously writing off the Macrae game plan in 22 and early in 23 because it didnt fit the profile of teams like richmond/dees etc).
David King should actually watch more footy in real time. He just gets fed a long line of stats and trends from Champion data which can be just stats if you are not actually watching a lot of footy. I am in a situation where I can get access to all the stats from CD due to previous connections but it would get cut of if I started posting random stats that are not generally published.

David King should actually watch more footy in real time. He just gets fed a long line of stats and trends from Champion data which can be just stats if you are not actually watching a lot of footy. I am in a situation where I can get access to all the stats from CD due to previous connections but it would get cut of if I started posting random stats that are not generally published.
The latest thing he keeps saying that has me shaking my head is that Cripps should play more forward like Bont, i know theyre similar height/weight but they are completely different style players.
Also the issue for carlton at the moment isnt scoring its stopping the other team scoring.

Like I keep saying. If you know what it is then it is not an issue. Champion Data themselves have been at pains to tell people what it is but the sheep factor keeps seeing people jumping up and down over nothing in particular. Seems to me the only reason it could make waves is if you do not understand how and why they formulate them. They are a stats based company. They publish a stats based list. That is what they do. It is simply based on recorded stats and not meant to be anything more. Click bate does not come into it as the average joe can not access the data base.

I did not say the whole data base was click bait.

I said the playerx rating is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back