Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

I discovered that article last week, and the things that struck me were the observations about the role of his dad.

for instance:

And

Now Linkedin also suggests Mr Dean Sheezel has spent Harry’s whole life as an executive of companies that sell defibrillators.

All of this suggests to me that Harry has learnt his uncanny ability to slow down time from his father, because Mr Sheezel has indubitably learnt how to find more hours in the day than the rest of us.
Any more close finishes and I might have to invest in Mr Sheezel's product.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I've seen Cunners with some quick flick handballs.

But Harry might have him. His hands are ******* lightning
I'd take Powell ahead of him no disrespect. With Cunners nearing his best again, Tommy and Harry inheriting his vision and skill and LDU, WillPhil and Bergman pretty much in the same league it's going to be refreshing watching a team finally that doesn't handball to teammate's feet as a default.

His toe poke sequence has so many high quality instinctive elements to it.

First he read the flight and anticipated the spill and got back to the goal line.

Second, in a split second he had the vision to see no Freo players would collect the poke, the skill to execute it without it going out and the confidence to do it.

Last but not least, he stopped his poke follow through because he might’ve kicked the Freo player diving in front. Could've been kicking in danger especially as those umpires had already gifted Freo a season high and astonishing 34 free kicks.

Was infatuated with him coming to North pre-draft but if you'd pressed me for potential downsides they would've been:

i) Leg speed queries?
ii) Versatility to play roles besides forward
iii) Physicality, especially defensively (he didn't need much of that at U18 level because he was kicking so many friggin' goals)

All of these have been addressed inside 2 rounds.

Always caveat that we still need him cherry ripe for the long haul. But as a prospect - he's a burger with the lot already.

Sheezel didn't test at the combine.

These were his NAB League testing day scores at the start of last season.

Sheezel
Vertical: 77cm
20m: 3.14
Agility: 8.16
Yo-yo: 1040

He finished on par with Olli Hollands in the Yo-Yo test in pre-season testing. We know Hollands then ran a 5:54 2km and won the 2km at the combine with the same time as Jason Gilbee at the end of the year.

So Sheez probably would have finished top 3 or 4 in the 2km at the combine.

That agility time would have been the second fastest at the National Combine from the 68 that were tested and top 10 in the last 5 years of all draftee's. It's only marginally slower than what Izak Rankine ran in his combine.

Daicos ran a 6:32 2km this pre-season just gone.

I think he has a yard on Harry leg speed wise.
I don't want this to just be bias but I think Harry is gonna a much better player.

Daicos is great too but Harry is so complete a footy player in his second game. Its just a matter of him getting more experience and match fitness. he's a scary proposition imo. Sign him for a decade now.

I don't want this to just be bias but I think Harry is gonna a much better player.

Daicos is great too but Harry is so complete a footy player in his second game. Its just a matter of him getting more experience and match fitness. he's a scary proposition imo. Sign him for a decade now.
Reckon that's bias, mate. Daicos is spectacular. Jury will be out on that one for a while imo

Seriously, how is the leg on the kid.

With all due respect, the number of plodders we’ve seen over the last couple of decades that just threw it on the boot, giving their teammates no advantage.

Harry has composure, kicks with penetration AND hits his targets. Just so refreshing.
Wouldn’t mind seeing some of those kicks into the forward 50

Mate, Sheez couldnt have made a better start but 'much better player' than Nick Daicos? Daicos is ludicrous good, as in one of the best 2nd year players ever and already a top 10 player in the league probably. He does everything to such a high standard

Im with you Ferbs, Sheezus is almost 2 years younger than ND and his output is ridiculous for his age. ND is also surrounded with premiership players and our boy has spooners.. ND is crazy good though, but ours might be a bit more..

52A18BF4-8B55-468C-B032-230B7095C5DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Im with you Ferbs, Sheezus is almost 2 years younger than ND and his output is ridiculous for his age. ND is also surrounded with premiership players and our boy has spooners.. ND is crazy good though, but ours might be a bit more..

View attachment 1643184
The stats look good for Sheezel yes, but Daicos did it over 25 games. Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if Sheezel can keep this up for the whole year, but then we'd be talking about Sheezel winning the Brownlow, not just Rising Star...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stats look good for Sheezel yes, but Daicos did it over 25 games. Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if Sheezel can keep this up for the whole year, but then we'd be talking about Sheezel winning the Brownlow, not just Rising Star...
That comparison is at the same age, and yes i understand Sheezus has to do it for longer, but ND has only one year in the system more yet he’s almost 2 years older. So what Sheez has done for his bottom age is incredible.

Daicos is hardly surrounded with premiership players, isn't it just Pendlebury and Sidebottom? That's only one more than us (Shiels)

I'd take Powell ahead of him no disrespect. With Cunners nearing his best again, Tommy and Harry inheriting his vision and skill and LDU, WillPhil and Bergman pretty much in the same league it's going to be refreshing watching a team finally that doesn't handball to teammate's feet as a default.
On handball ability I'd 100% take Powell at the minute.
But Sheez's hands are that fast I reckon he's going to get called for throws at some point, because the Umps just can't fathom he got a fist to it.

That comparison is at the same age, and yes i understand Sheezus has to do it for longer, but ND has only one year in the system more yet he’s almost 2 years older. So what Sheez has done for his bottom age is incredible.
And the Collingwood father son pathway would help. Not to take anything away from Daicos. Dammit, lid is off.

Mate, Sheez couldnt have made a better start but 'much better player' than Nick Daicos? Daicos is ludicrous good, as in one of the best 2nd year players ever and already a top 10 player in the league probably. He does everything to such a high standard
He's a great player I just think think Sheezel will be a level above.

Sheezel looks likely to go forward and kick three goals in the last quarter to win the game. I never thought that about Daicos.

The last player we had who showed that was Boomer. Ben Brown might have done it once or twice but he was already forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back