Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg. intercept marks per game

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue is that their legspeed are not good.

Last year with logue mackay corr, we got beaten a lot on speed
McKay, Corr and KDawson are all some of the fastest defenders in the comp. As is Chom. Corr may have lost some toe due to injuries but when he arrived at north he was as fast as anyone in the side.

I think the issue is that their legspeed are not good.

Last year with logue mackay corr, we got beaten a lot on speed
Not sure what you are on about here. Comben and Logue are both very fast for key defenders - see link below. Both Corr and K. Dawson are quick too.

Someone mentioned earlier that before his last year or so of juniors he was midfielder before growing.

Makes alot of sense as to why he looks a clueless as a forward. Our structure doesn’t help but seems to run to the wrong spots. The fact that he wasn’t always a forward makes me feel more comfortable sending him back as I don’t think he’d make it as a forward.

He’s playing really well as a defender and looks extremely confident down there which is important for his football and body. Confidence a massive thing after a big injury and effects how your body reacts to movements in the air and landing. I think we leave him down there. Like others have said, lock him in as part of the defensive spine for years to come

LoL...he plays 2sec's in the forward line and people are having a go at his forward play and wanting him to somehow kick 10 goals in a total of 40mins of forward time all season:D.
Run's to the wrong spots as opposed to the regular forwards who just runs away from the ball carrier...give me a break!

Last edited:
Be different in the ball came in differently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely. Until it does though, I'd rather he be down back intercepting and warding off much uglier 100+ point beltings. Forward line and its delivery needs urgent repair, but Clarko and Chom should focus on what he's best contributing to the team for now.

LoL...he plays 2sec's in the forward line and people are having a go at his forward play and wanting him to somehow kick 10 goals in a total of 40mins of forward time all season:D.
Run's to the wrong spots as opposed to the regular forwards who just runs away from the ball carrier...give me a break!

There's plenty of nuts around these here parts, fyi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not going to win games without some help for Larkey, we don’t have anyone promising coming through as a KPF.

There is no option but to move Chom forward once Logue is back.

I actually think he is going to be better as a defender but we don’t have the luxury to not have him competing as a forward for us and chopping out Larks.

Our % of scores from inside 50s must be one of the lowest in the league. Until we address that we aren’t scoring 100 points in a game.

I was wrong about Comben's capability as a defender✋

Just let him have some continuity, Petrie could've kicked way more goals if he wasn't a swingman for half of his career

I think we have found our CHB for the next decade, and now others are starting to see it the same way.

Nine things we learned

7) North has found a key defender for the next 10 years

There's no denying North Melbourne is in dire straits, but there is at least one silver lining: Charlie Comben's transformation into one of the competition's best intercept defenders. Originally drafted as a forward and having endured a torrid run of injuries that saw him play just two matches in his first three years at North before a horrific leg break in 2023, Comben's shift in the backline was originally out of self-preservation. But it has turned out to be a masterstroke. Comben is currently ranked third in the competition for intercept marks with an average of 3.8 per match, behind only Sam Taylor and Harris Andrews (two All-Australians). Yes, North is still conceding 100-plus points every game, but it could be a lot worse if Comben wasn't there. Only 19 games into his career and with only eight played in the backline, Comben is playing like a far more experienced player and will be instrumental in whatever rise North Melbourne manages this year and into the future. – Sophie Welsh

XFoGLehx.jpg

Charlie Comben competes with Todd Marshall during the R11 match between North Melbourne and Yartapuulti (Port Adelaide) at Blundstone Arena on May 25, 2024. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos

I went to VFL games swapping ends each quarter to watch him play forward, and I'm convinced he could become the Drew Petrie replacement we've been needing since the end of 2016. Playing in defence this year for Chom is the equivalent of Drew's 2006. We needed Drew in defence that year, he acquitted himself brilliantly, but we needed him to go forward the following year, and he was even better. I remember thinking it was such a shame to move Drew out of defence where he was destined to become All Australian at some stage. I feel the same way about Chom. But if he can be even half as good as Drew as a forward-ruck, then bring on 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back