Past #30: Jarrad Waite - will retire at end 2018 - 60 NM games/120+ NM goals - Shinboner - thanks W80

Remove this Banner Ad

What would be the reasons we'd want to lose Waite:
  • Money obviously isn't an issue
  • I don't think there are any KPFs able to play most of the season banging on the door, so he's not holding back the development of any of our young players. And it would be a brave person these days who would drop Waite to give Daw a clear go at that position?
  • Do we need to clear his spot for one of our three draft spots; After Hansen, I'd have thought that there would be others more at risk?
So like many others, I'm both bemused and confused by the delay in offering Waite another year.

What would be the reasons we'd want to lose Waite:
  • Money obviously isn't an issue
  • I don't think there are any KPFs able to play most of the season banging on the door, so he's not holding back the development of any of our young players. And it would be a brave person these days who would drop Waite to give Daw a clear go at that position?
  • Do we need to clear his spot for one of our three draft spots; After Hansen, I'd have thought that there would be others more at risk?
So like many others, I'm both bemused and confused by the delay in offering Waite another year.

Thinking back Waite played in all our wins bar Gold Coast and Brisbane

Does this help us long term?

Thinking back Waite played in all our wins bar Gold Coast and Brisbane

Does this help us long term?

meh.

He played 5 blinders during the season.

We lost 4 of those matches

I'm not against him playing another year. He does deserve it. I just hope most of it is in The vfl helping souva

Me neither.

If we don't trade heavy, he deserves another season, based on output and to lock up some coin.

I'm just spewing we didn't land him 8 years ago.

Waite should go around again.

Young KP show promise but not to be relied upon just yet.

Unlike Hansen who's footy last year was rubbish hence delisted as no point keeping, Waite's is still excellent so keep him on to help the team and mentor the young guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should keep him for one more year for sure.
Play him deep forward tho.....he's still brilliant when he plays. Good for the young guys to learn off.
Still need to keep some mature players to stay competitive through a rebuild.
We've had a shocking run of injuries the last 2 years hopefully we have a run like tigers this year waite can just be surplus to needs

On E6853 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sides that aren't in contention shouldn't be playing a bloke that turns 35 in Feb fmd. Do I need to mention he's played 24 of our last 44- fmd.

I cannot get my head around what direction we as a club are taking. Waite fit is an awesome footballer, just a waste of time at a club so far from contention it isn't funny. I'd be tapping B McKay on the shoulder and telling him it's time.

Him getting another year is a major concern.

Sides that aren't in contention shouldn't be playing a bloke that turns 35 in Feb fmd. Do I need to mention he's played 24 of our last 44- fmd.
cant turn a whole list over in 12 months,

I cannot get my head around what direction we as a club are taking. Waite fit is an awesome footballer, just a waste of time at a club so far from contention it isn't funny. I'd be tapping B McKay on the shoulder and telling him it's time.

Ben got a taste in the last game, pity it turned out as it did but thats how it rolled, besides he is looking more and more to be a defender that a fwd anyway,

its hardly a concern, he will likely be a spareparts/back up player towards the end of next year.

cant turn a whole list over in 12 months,

Ben got a taste in the last game, pity it turned out as it did but thats how it rolled, besides he is looking more and more to be a defender that a fwd anyway,

its hardly a concern, he will likely be a spareparts/back up player towards the end of next year.

I realise that but 35 is past retirement age regardless of the state of our list. I think people do not realise how ordinary we actually are. I've come to terms with it. We wanted Stephenson as he impressed us , but figured he'd be gone by our first pick in the draft. I don't think we saw fourth last coming.

Yeah he will become a defender if we play him there I suppose.

You again imo do not use 35 year olds as spare part anythings, we cannot be serious if Waite plays on.

I do not see what keeping Waite on the list does for our prospects next year

Unless we are delusional enough to think we are top 4 material as a list.

Thanks for the memory’s W8 time the get more games into our young ones.

BBB as our sole tall with Preuss and Goldy rotating in the forward line. The rest of positions go to our small to mid forwards.

I realise that but 35 is past retirement age regardless of the state of our list. I think people do not realise how ordinary we actually are. I've come to terms with it. We wanted Stephenson as he impressed us , but figured he'd be gone by our first pick in the draft. I don't think we saw fourth last coming.

Yeah he will become a defender if we play him there I suppose.

You again imo do not use 35 year olds as spare part anythings, we cannot be serious if Waite plays on.
There's a couple of reasons to keep Waite, most obvious that he's the most exciting bloke on our list when fit. In a year where our prospects frankly aren't looking great, there is a real concern that the (unfortunately) majority of our supporters who only show up when the going is good won't be attending games, which is a real concern as we are so aggressively expanding and building our brand. Someone like Waitey gives casual fans a reason to watch us play.

Secondly, both his on and off-field leadership and presence around the group are hugely important and highly rated internally, especially with a young side. Furthermore, there is no point keeping average senior players round when you could have elite examples to the young guys. All our young forwards would be seeing W80 and Browny as the benchmark.

Thirdly, next year's draft is looking far superior to this year's, which likely means that we have a better chance of getting a quality kid with our last pick in 2018 than the quite shallow pool available this year. Waite retiring at the end of 2018 gives as an immediate list vacancy.

Finally, his versatility means that we can play him on a wing and still expose our young forwards.

So yeah, that's the reasons I can see for keeping him on for another year. Still not sure what the right call is, so we'll wait and see!

If the speculation about the 2018 superdraft is correct...

A draftee gets two years. So in a weak draft year, don't' take a fourth rounder for a low potential prospect, give someone like Waite a year longer and leave another list vacancy for the 'Superdraft'.

Waite seems to be a solid citizen, not against one more year on modest coin to bring through the kids.

Brad doesn't rate early draft picks so he will be doing everything possible not to get the No 1 pick which means playing Waite imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back