Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
If we are going to progress through finals we have to address De Goey.
Something has to be done, whether it's a two-man tag, something different.
Well, the media are already comparing him to Ablett Snr. Now, Senior used to murder us, but we eventually found out how to contain him.

So, when does De Goey retire?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Shrewsbury FC
Well, the media are already comparing him to Ablett Snr. Now, Senior used to murder us, but we eventually found out how to contain him.

So, when does De Goey retire?
Are you trying to say scotty turner is making a comeback? Mid season draft?
I like it

Grrr

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
For the 50th time this week I've seen Da Goo On Face take that 'OK' mark over Markov.... and being a one eyed Tige, have come to the conclusion there were 3 blatant free kicks not paid to Oleg..... in the back, head high and unrealistic attempt. :D:D:D.
At least Oleg made up for not standing in the lead up forward's lane that he missed earlier in the game with Mason Cox by getting to the right place against De Goey.

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Bullets, Firebirds
If we are going to progress through finals we have to address De Goey.
Something has to be done, whether it's a two-man tag, something different.
I'm still to hear reasonable reasons why we would not have played Grimes on DeGoey (twice now). U2Tigers and I were incredulous when the Prelim started and Grimes was nowhere near him. As a stopper Grimes has few peers. He's developing still further this year to fill Rance's role, if possible, and while it was not a great game overall, that was what i saw Grimes trying to do last game, fill in for Rance and direct the back traffic to some extent. Think it shows the void Houli leaves as well, love him or hate him.....

Would love to think Markov could cover for Rance in time but he is still miles off that, has the bodily attributes but none of Rance's nous yet. Markov has to be allowed to run first, he'll make a few mistakes as the pace of the game tells him what he can and can't do, like Rance found in his earlier years, but a bank 5-6 games in that role and we'd see the signs one way or another. Hope his injuries have not made him a bit gun-shy. Pin the ears back Oleg! Be brave and take a few on!

Last edited:

sportshow

Team Captain
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm still to hear reasonable reasons why we would not have played Grimes on DeGoey (twice now). U2Tigers and I were incredulous when the Prelim started and Grimes was nowhere near him. As a stopper Grimes has few peers. He's developing still further this year to fill Rance's role, if possible, and while it was not a great game overall, that was what i saw Grimes trying to do last game, fill in for Rance and direct the back traffic to some extent. Think it shows the void Houli leaves as well.

Would love to think Markov could cover for Rance in time but he is still miles off that, has the bodily attributes but none of Rance's nous yet. Markov has to be allowed to run first, he'll make a few mistakes as the pace of the game tells him what he can and can't do, like Rance found in his earlier years, but a bank 5-6 games in that role and we'd see the signs one way or another. Hope his injuries have not made him a bit gun-shy. Pin the ears back Oleg! Be brave and take a few on!
Another good way of nullifying the likes of DeGoey is to not let it get to the forward line at all, or if it does it's under extreme pressure.

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Another good way of nullifying the likes of DeGoey is to not let it get to the forward line at all, or if it does it's under extreme pressure.
Can't say I've seen an AFL game where one team completely denies another team any forward entries as you suggested. The second part of your suggestion is what all teams do to varying degrees for varying periods of time. DeGoey needs a close checking physical defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wish they had a market for under 10 possessions in a game
To make it interesting for you, I'll give you $1.92 up 9.5 disposals for up to $50. Or put more simply you send me $50 or I'll send you $46 on under or over 9.5 disposals. You barrack against him through the game and I'll barrack for him through the game:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom