Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Iโ€™d give him a go with injures playing down back
thats what made me think of this. we have been crying out for a winger with speed and endurance, and now a hbf replacement for houli, and the bloke isnt even on the 'in consideration' list. at 24 and in the last yera of a contract youd think they would play him if they think he has even a little bit to offer, just to find out. that he isnt close makes me think the club has made up its mind. imho should have gone before menadue.

We need to find another forward who, y'know, actually hits the scoreboard. With Riewoldt looking very ordinary and our pressure forwards struggling to pressure let alone score, why not give Oleg a crack?
remember fremantle tagger hayden ballantyne started as ^ tagger, I have seen a few others recently, even dan jackson in final years, a few others, george costagna started to have success, got a feeling the young quick player from adelaide to brisbane was not much of goalsneak til his final two years at Adelaide

so yes, Drunken Wookie i tend to agree

Fastest player in the league at the moment.

1. Oleg Markov: 37.40km/h v Collingwood, round two
2. Noah Balta: 34.96km/h v Hawthorn, round nine
3. Noah Balta: 34.92km/h v GWS, round three

With or without the ball in hand ;)

With or without the ball in hand ;)
^+1 this​

would not the statistics select (self-select) for without ball (30 f.e.e.t burst to terminal velocity for handball receive) and top10 primarily these instances...
i)Richmond's strategy may(did/does) lend itself to these opportunities
ii)statistically 4% Markov's peakspeedgaptosecond number has such d.i.s.c.r.e.p.a.n.c.y tho' it may well be accurate(i am sure it is) it paradoxically makes this statistically IRRELEVANT insofar as it has selected out a game-style of Leppitsch-Caracella(tho' Dimma may well get the credit) so Bolton, Balta, Markov reside in top ranks when they are never more than bit players in AFL tiers

i)Aaron Davey;ii);Lewis Jetta;iii)James Walker;iv)Chris Judd;v)Campbell Brown
i) Aaron Davey seen as being quickest of ranks, but this is wrong and your lying eyes are deceiving you, it is incorrect perception
ii) Lewis Jetta probably took the baton from Davey, but he is neither the fastest* which if we assume is 100metre metric this distills the concern to speed-endurance
iii)James Walker Fremantle bingo that is your fastest player(because of speed endurance)
iv) Chris Judd not fastest neither just the most occasions seen accelerating from stasis away from packs and his competitors
v) Campbell Brown at Scotch College seen as too slow but Mal Brown briefed Hawthorn athletics coach Bohdan Babijczuc with aim to ameliorate this flaw which he did

which is why Fev won the GF sprint running away
scouts should know(be aware) the flaws with their heuristics, and being slippery around the Ball like Judd Davey Jetta is the true metric their perception discerns
RussellEbertHandball

Last edited:
^+1 this​

would not the statistics select (self-select) for without (30 f.e.e.t burst to terminal velocity for handball receive) and top10 primarily these instances...
i) Richmond's strategy may(did/does) lend itself to these opportunities
ii)statistically 4% number has such d.i.s.c.r.e.p.a.n.c.y tho' it may well be accurate(i am sure it is) it paradoxically makes this statistically IRRELEVANT insofar as it has selected out a game-style of Leppitsch-Caracella(tho' Dimma may well get the credit) so Bolton, Bolta, Markov reside in top ranks when they are never more than bit players in AFL tiers

i)Aaron Davey;ii);Lewis Jetta;iii) James Walker;iv)Chris Judd;v)Campbell Brown
i) Aaron Davey seen as being quickest of ranks, but this is wrong and your lying eyes are deceiving you, it is incorrect pereception
ii) Lewis Jetta probably took the baton from Davey, but he is neither the fastest* which if we assume is 100metre metric this distills the concern to speed-endurance
iii)James Walker Fremantle bingo that is your fastest player(because of speed endurance)
iv) Chris Judd not fastest neither just the most occasions seen accelerating from stasis away from packs and his competitors
v) Campbell Brown at Scotch College seen as too slow but Mal Brown briefed Hawthorn athletics coach Bohdan Babijczuc with aim to ameliorate this flaw which he did

which is why Fev won the GF sprint running away
scouts should know(be aware) the flaws with their heuristics, and being slippery around the Ball like Judd Davey Jetta is the true metric their perception discerns
RussellEbertHandball
The fastest footballer and how fast they really are, is always an interesting conversation.

To run 100m with ball in hand means you have to bounce the ball at least 6 times if the umpires know how far 15m is. The fastest footballer over a 100m sprint, might not be the fastest to run and carry the ball 100m, because it involves being able to hand eye coordinate a bounce and sprint.

Jetta probably is the fastest I've seen be able to run at least 60m with multiple bounces. He's a Nyoonghar man and there have been a few who were very fast. Michael Mitchell who played for Claremont, WA then played for Richmond for 5 seasons in the late 80's early 90's was bloody quick. So was Jimmy Krakouer. A lot of smaller and medium sized Nyoonghar players have good speed.

An Aboriginal player in the 70's and 80's who played for Sturt in the SANFL was Michael Graham - nicknamed The Flash, played a few state games. He was quick and would run and carry the ball with multiple bounces. Famously had a 7 bounce run in a PF then kicked a goal that was the match turner in the last quarter, they made the GF and won by 7 goals, when Port was favourites in 1976.

Aaron Davey was bloody quick but so was his brother Alwyn and his first cousin Gavin Wanganeen. Wangas is the quickest Port player I have seen at SANFL and AFL level. One game, think 1999, he got a centre clearance sprinted off hard chased, bounced with a right hand, veered off to the left, flat out, bounced with his left hand and kicked a goal on his left. Dick Davey was their gun footballer grandfather on West Coast of SA and they get their genes from him.

Shaun Burgoyne is deceptively quick. I have seen him kick a 5 bounce goal for Port, his opponent blows up, but he looks like he is jogging. Look at the Lewis Jetta 2012 GF sprint down the outer wing with Cyril chasing him and at bottom of the screen Burgoyne is jogging along the centre square wing line and decides to go after Jetta and almost gets there before Jetta kicks it.

Judd and Dangerfield probably have the best acceleration over the first 15-20m I have seen. Its blistering acceleration. That was Judd's great advantage. Dangerfield has better speedendurance than Judd.

Walker was bloody quick and had great speedendurance. His average skills meant he isn't greatly remembered.

Oleg Markov would have got his old man Dmitri's genes who had explosive speed over 30-40m to be such a great Pole Vault champion - 2001 world champion anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had this bloke delisted, but to re-use an earlier pun, I think I need to show a little Markov respect. ๐Ÿค™

Enjoyed his game tonight, showed some nice dash, read it well and seems to have really mastered the running at full speed lowering eyes weight off kick. It would be a hell of a bonus if Oleg can come up to the mark for us, him and his Eastern European comrade Balta give us some real penetrating run out of the backline.

I had this bloke delisted, but to re-use an earlier pun, I think I need to show a little Markov respect. ๐Ÿค™

Enjoyed his game tonight, showed some nice dash, read it well and seems to have really mastered the running at full speed lowering eyes weight off kick. It would be a hell of a bonus if Oleg can come up to the mark for us, him and his Eastern European comrade Balta give us some real penetrating run out of the backline.
Agreed. 14 possessions, but 11 of those were kicks. That's what we want to see. It helps so much when a player can accelerate off half-back and break a zone - particularly when teams are flooding back against us. I hope the coaches give Markov license to do this, because based on speeds mentioned earlier, he's the fastest guy in the league. Should definitely stay in vs Essendon even with Houli back.

Agreed. 14 possessions, but 11 of those were kicks. That's what we want to see. It helps so much when a player can accelerate off half-back and break a zone - particularly when teams are flooding back against us. I hope the coaches give Markov license to do this, because based on speeds mentioned earlier, he's the fastest guy in the league. Should definitely stay in vs Essendon even with Houli back.

I think Markov has shown enough to persist with at the moment.

I would drop Aarts/Chol at the moment amongst others before Markov anyway.

Couple of things in his favour.

His speed compliments Balta and I think makes our defence more imposing.

16 minute quarters favour speedy players, see Butler.

We lack a little at times aerially and he improves us with his leap as well.

He is so quick that he can think while he is running which is noticeable and his extra speed enhances our creativity and creates separation for our players up the ground because it catches out defences in a line breaker sense as well as separation from packs

He could help our forward and he is extra support on the flanks so I would give him a bit of reign to improve his game. He is the type of player better players around him in the firsts could help develop his game to and vice versa because he offers something a little different

Best part about his game was his decision making with ball in hand, which if I'm honest, didn't think was a strength of his...

I thought he did a good enough job to hold his spot, but I wonder with Houli coming back whether he will or not...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back