Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he'll get interest from another club. There'll be plenty sniffing around our playing group with so many AFL standard players unable to crack the regular 22. Though they may wait till his contract expires.
probably a dozen from 18-30 ranking ok, thats 13 with management of theirs with feelers out for guaranteed first-team football with a matching salary, see:Brandon Ellis and Dan Butler

Thats ok, the trick is door the <drafting/recruiting/listmanagement> department to i) receive compensation; ii) makesure depth has correct size*; iii) know/juggle unique ambitions and solipsism of the individual players; and iv) be on same page as Mrs Hardwick

*there can actually be TOO MUCH depth, allow me to explain
i) you need to estimate the <injury gap> risk, so that is nullified, but your squad can have good injury-list years, or bad injury list years, thru nothing more nefarious than random chance;
ii) the list must have some spots open for game-day 22 football, it would hurt esprit de corps if all bar the first 22 are locked out and don't have their chances; and
iii) forward planning 1-5 years ahead, 2021 is more important than 2022 which is more important than 2023 =>etc (Zeno's paradox, temporal bias)

Beveridge drunk his own cool-aid and forgot the balance and depth fallacy

surely the moscow bullett stays?
Select him every game and see how he does. I was surprised how quickly he adapted to senior footy. I think the scenario will be: Markov will be offered a small contact by RFC, dollars and years. 2020 has been a tricky year, players like Ross and Stack aren't flying. Balta, Chol Kmac and Bolton are. CJ can't get on the park. Caddy in for a game and then dropped.

Last edited:
Hope Oleg makes every post a winner from here on and nails down that hb role.

If at the end of 2020 Balta and Oleg have cemented positions in the backline thatโ€™s a huge plus going forward. The 2 best athletes on our list in our best 22 just gives that backline a real explosive look.

Also Oleg ,although in the team for his ground level play, has that extra height compared to Short Bachar and Bakes. Allows him to play on those medium forwards that can exploit you in the air as well at ground level.

Enjoying the little cult following weโ€™re building for the big oleg, hopefully he does a number again tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would consider putting him forward

I agree, less decision making needed and speed to create space and break on lead creates possibiities and goal chances. Even on a change up to create match up issues and point of difference from JR and Lynch and the smalls

What Markov may not realise is although having the speed is handy in a big run, the speed and explosiveness is more effective if his disposals and use is more effective. I am not saying Markov has bad disposal but his explosiveness becomes a bigger weapon when he can find and use teammates after the space he creates when he gets the ball. In this sense peripheral vision and awareness is very important including seeing your teammates like Rioli earlier and not getting tackled later from behind. He should not be afraid to look around and try and bring his team mates into the game because that makes him a more important player because it means his explosiveness becomes more effective and creative

Would consider putting him forward
You can bet McGovern who is in white hot form after yesterday is lipping his lips at Richmond's long bombs to our stationary forwards. Markov should mark him and make him accountable by leading. Dimma mentions it every week, that the opposition flood. Time to do something about it.

You can bet McGovern who is in white hot form after yesterday is lipping his lips at Richmond's long bombs to our stationary forwards. Markov should mark him and make him accountable by leading. Dimma mentions it every week, that the opposition flood. Time to do something about it.
Agreed that we need someone to do this but not Oleg - I think he needs to be behind the ball but reminded to lower his eyes. We need someone like Caddy in there to keep the oppos intercept markers honest - its been so frustrating watching opp defence marking un-oposed so regularly. Caddy despite evidence to the contrary is a pretty smart footballer - not sure Oleg is yet

Agreed that we need someone to do this but not Oleg - I think he needs to be behind the ball but reminded to lower his eyes. We need someone like Caddy in there to keep the oppos intercept markers honest - its been so frustrating watching opp defence marking un-oposed so regularly. Caddy despite evidence to the contrary is a pretty smart footballer - not sure Oleg is yet
Caddy whilst smart would make us pretty slow, but yes he would compete in the air. I was thinking with Markov to be used as a decoy if you like, if you doin't follow me I will be free on the lead. You don't have to be super smart to lead to the ball. Quick and 189cm with a good leap he can't be matched up by small backs, so he might force WC to not sit back in the hole as they do.... as they have all done. He played that role late in the season in the VFL and did okay, and he is in much better touch this year. I think we need something different because our small forwards are not getting the job done this year.

If Oleg stays in I'd leave him down back. Houli was a bit average on a his first game back. If Caddys in it'd be as a fwd. I'd drop either Arts or Chol. Lynch rucked when the ball was up fwd anyhow. Might need Soldo to play more Gametime
Looking at potential matchups in the backline I think Balta to Kennedy, Broad in to play on Darling, Grimes to mind Allen and potentially Markovzorro to L.I.Am Ryan. But this leaves one of Vlastuin, Houli, Short, Baker looking for a new role. Surely Broad comes back given all the tall timber forward for the Eagles, so it is really tough to figure out what happens with the 8th defender.

Looking at potential matchups in the backline I think Balta to Kennedy, Broad in to play on Darling, Grimes to mind Allen and potentially Markovzorro to L.I.Am Ryan. But this leaves one of Vlastuin, Houli, Short, Baker looking for a new role. Surely Broad comes back given all the tall timber forward for the Eagles, so it is really tough to figure out what happens with the 8th defender.
He goes into the forward line..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back