Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Really thought he’d develop into a handy running back in Houli mould
Looks to lack confidence at afl level , last couple of appearances almost put a line through him , good luck Oleg get back in the frame kiddo
Same here Bo, was thinking exactly the same thing with Markov...a Houli replacement of HB! Just not sure what has happened with him?!?
Injuries?!? prolly no consistency in game time, lack of confidence?!? Very disappointing!
Both of our speediest recruits in Markov and Menadue just not getting there!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/running-amok-your-clubs-speed-machines-and-endurance-beasts

Fastest in the AFL - clocked at 37.4km/h. That is seriously fast!

Jason Johanissen is the only other player clocked above 36km/h, with his top speed being a full km/h slower, at 36.4km/h.

Essentially, he would be the fastest player in world soccer by .5km/h (https://the18.com/soccer-news/fastest-soccer-players-in-the-world-today-2018-edition) and the fastest in the NFL by almost 2km/h (https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/othe...s/nfl-fastest-players-quickest-field-13626771)!

Surely we can find a way to better utilise him than we have to date. As a half back, he is a long way back in the queue. Speed is not his only outstanding attribute; he also has a great leap and good foot skills. At 188cm, is there scope for him to play the "Jaidyn" role (stephenson or hunt) as a mid-sized forward?
Replace Menadue in the GF sprint. 🤭

That's because he's an athlete. Perfectly suited to "pre-season".
Saw him play his first game against Doggies back when we played that sideways sh!t brand of footy and that night looked amazing. Took the game on across hb with run and carry it was a breath of fresh air compared to what we had been serving up.
Since then diddly-squat !!

From memory drafted because of his physical attributes and his DNA (both parents were Aussie reps in athletics if I'm not mistaken) with a view to develop his footy skills over time. Just don't think he's got the consistency and composure to be a good player. However, now it's known fact he is the world's fastest AFL player lets cash in at the trade table!
Yep, composure and confidence seem to be an issue. Which is why half back is the worst place for him.

I think he has shown enough at VFL and AFL level to give him another year, considering his attributes and the injuries he's had (which are not really recurrent - he has injured his quad, knees, and shoulder - and therefore not a reason to delist him).

Yep, composure and confidence seem to be an issue. Which is why half back is the worst place for him.

I think he has shown enough at VFL and AFL level to give him another year, considering his attributes and the injuries he's had (which are not really recurrent - he has injured his quad, knees, and shoulder - and therefore not a reason to delist him).

Disagree he has shown anything at AFL level. Reminds me of the players we had when we were a bottom 4 team. Young players will be going past him at light speed. I had C.Ellis and Lloyd way ahead in terms of value and potential. They proved to have trade value. Markov I doubt would get any interest so he remains as one of the first to go once his contract is up imo. Keep as a VFL player if he's happy with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid write up in this week’s VFL report on Oleg - reckon they’ve found something by putting him forward. 11 marks and two goals is a pretty decent outing. Fastest player in the AFL indeed!
Is it as simple as just being played in the wrong position for Oleg with the fast leg!

No spot for him in our best 22 atm as there’s a large queue and he’s proven to be awful when promoted. Egg has gone passed him and probably stolen his career.
He still contracted for another season, so career is not yet done and dusted. Will be either traded or kept on the list for another season.
The coaches will need to find another role for Oleg, that is why he was playing forward last week in the VFL,

He still contracted for another season, so career is not yet done and dusted. Will be either traded or kept on the list for another season.
The coaches will need to find another role for Oleg, that is why he was playing forward last week in the VFL,
I wish him well as a forward, but even Weller has him covered. We have so many blokes well ahead of him in that spot. Will see out his career at PRO as I can’t see who would want him and what he would gain in terms of a trade.

I wish him well as a forward, but even Weller has him covered. We have so many blokes well ahead of him in that spot. Will see out his career at PRO as I can’t see who would want him and what he would gain in terms of a trade.
A few clubs interested last year, that why he got a 2 year extension. This year's form has been underwhelming and some of the 2017/2018 draftees have overtaken him.

His value has dropped, especially now that fringe players are worth very little with the SSP rules. Needs a good preseason and to find a role where he can compete for a senior spot to save his career.

We don’t have many of these medium forward types outside of really Caddy. I’d still classify Mav as a small forward.

Unfortunately for Oleg is that with Jack and Lynch, and the continued emphasis on tackle pressure, and with one of Balta/ Chol as second ruck, I can’t see a place for Markov unless another injury crisis strikes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back