Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the AGM last night and spoke briefly to Blair, who said Oleg has stepped it up at training.

Did Blair have anything else interesting to say?

If Oleg cements a spot its because he pushed past Houli or Bachar is injured. I think he can do it but the two of them have very different skill sets. One is a beautiful kick the other a supreme athlete. Markov, has a big upside but like Menadue, Bolton, Baker, Balta, Miller and Townsend, he needs a lot to go right to break into such a successful team.

Did we have a pair of Bones in the squad at the time? I always thought Bones was Barry Richardson's nickname. Could well have been because Richardson was a physiotherapist.
Richardson had the nickname ... Lolly legs

If Oleg cements a spot its because he pushed past Houli or Bachar is injured. I think he can do it but the two of them have very different skill sets. One is a beautiful kick the other a supreme athlete. Markov, has a big upside but like Menadue, Bolton, Baker, Balta, Miller and Townsend, he needs a lot to go right to break into such a successful team.

old greg markov eying off the flying leb’s spot eh
good luck

Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
Markov - Rance - Houli

He only has to be better than Short, Ellis, Mcintosh, Broad.... not Bacha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Markov - Rance - Houli

This is a good way to look at it. McIntosh is midfield these days. And Broad is a tall. I'd say Oleg is replacing Short & Houli when injured and competing with Ellis for a spot for the best backline in the league. Ellis has fallen out of favour and is arguably better as a wingman, so by the end of the year, if Short/Houli are injured Markov will get games. If Houli retires Markov is first in line unless one of the new recruits starts showing something.

There are only six midfield spots - Nankervis, Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Edwards, Lambert

plus the bench; Graham, Higgins etc.

McIntosh will probably be a defensive winger or a hbf yet not so easy to find room fit everyone in the middle
With Conca OUT Lynch IN. Maybe KMac OUT Ellis IN. Plus I think it’s time for either Butler or Castagna. Conca was more of a ball winner than Kmac. As was Ellis when he played midfield a few seasons back.
Kmac defensive winger?? Is he playing the right sport?
WD.gif

Last edited:
OhYeah....don't stop

hpFOMWD.gif

Markov - Rance - Houli

Agree.

But I'd add a couple of things.

With some tall timber forward of the ball, I reckon we can use shorter wingers than Grigg and KMac. Short, Ellis and Houli are all options up the ground now, which might open up a spot.

And I reckon Bachar has to get real lucky to have 25 games in a row in him. Sadly, his starting to show the signs.

This is the year Markov has to rip it up in VFL and force his way in, because his gunna be required by 2020.

just cant see him becoming a regular player for us

Only way I see it happening is if he moves into Houli’s role as that line breaking half back but as it stands I can’t see us playing Houli, Short and Markov in the same side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back