AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Good numbers in the VFL - 11/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure McKay was playing regularly at VFL level because Thompson and Tarrant were holding him out of the AFL side, not an injury related thing.

I never said it was an injury related thing. I was comparing their AFL games experience at similar ages.

You made it sound like he was filling people with confidence in the VFL. He didn't play every game in the VFL and in his 5th year (2020) he missed half of the season due to no VFL competition.

And, when McKay played in Round 23 of 2018 and the first 3 rounds of 2019, Thompson (retirement year) and Tarrant both featured with Ben in 3 of them. Simply did not keep his spot and didn't impress enough to earn it back.

His regular inability to impress in almost 5 years created a lot of doubts among supporters, to the point that they were literally saying it was too late/he was cooked. Here are some examples of North supporters doubting his ability to make it due to lack of AFL experience/not showing much outside of it;

1144.png
1152.png
117.png
422.png

after 5th game he played about 10 straight

Irrelevant to the point made and Reid still has 6 months on him (practically a season) and 9 months on him in terms of age.

Last edited:

That wasn't the impression I got at all. He/She made it sound like Thompson and Tarrant were killing it.

Perhaps I worded it wrong, maybe not "killing it" but more-so, "showing enough to warrant confidence".

He had his chances in the AFL team, and did not keep it. Tarrant/Thompson played with McKay in 3 rounds between Round 23, 2018 and Rounds 1-3 in 2019. When in the VFL, he was not filling anyone with confidence.

Any player that is uninjured yet fails to play a 5th AFL game until his 5th year at a club would draw more worries than assurances.

This of course lead to North supporters suggesting he was done, which given the circumstances makes sense, but that doesn't always have to be case. Of course, it wasn't, and that was the general point.

Last edited:
Coach said Zac’s playing VFL this week. Should do a 2-3 week block… surely?

Hoping Hayes gets a go for a few weeks (in place of Lav) in the mean time. Zac then needing to earn his spot back. Healthy competition.

Don’t for a second think coach will drop Lav from a winning team. Possibly his Q4 effort saves him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I refuse to get sucked in again.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

great video.

that ground though, picturesque
I used to work down there at the dock yards for BAE Systems. That ground might look great but the wind that whistles across it from the bay never stops. Williamstown have the biggest home ground advantage in footy, playing there is a completely different game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back