AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay - Worth every penny

Remove this Banner Ad

I was one who said we should move heaven and earth to get this bloke last year.

A genuine solid big man that can mark and defend a proper KPP is worth their weight in gold.
Absolutely. It is one area we have been lacking forever. Even Fletch struggled against the big gorillas.

Zerk was good but not in the same weight division. McKay's highlight package against Hawkins was all I needed to want us to throw everything at him.

To me this is as big a signing as what Lloyd was. A player you can build a flag off. Scott massive reason we got him & Goldy.

When we have McKay, Reid & Ridley all in the same side it will be amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked really shaky under the high ball a few times yesterday. Missed some chances to take an intercept mark or get a fist in. Had a complete fresh airy at one stage which may have led to the Harrison goal?

A player of Mihoceks size and speed should not be beating McKay. I have actually been impressed with his speed tho. He shut down Hill one time when he was in space.

Poor yesterday but hopefully he bounces back next week

I reckon he just had an off game yesterday, it happens. Ben’s been impressive this year and seems like he has a great attitude and good composure.
Cannot wait to finally see Ben and Harry line up on each other, should be a cracker.

Harshly judged yet again IMO. Few dodgy decisions went against him and beyond that I thought he held his own. Did he even play on Mihocek?
There was some really soft blocking calls last night, based on that threshold he was very stiff with the blocks mihocek and other put on him. Still he did drop a couple of sitters but he usually gobbles those up so im putting that down to not being used to that atmosphere.

Elliott said after the game that it was quite breezy on the ground ..wonder if that impacted marking as Pirs had a few high balls into the forward line. The one where he infringed on Mihocek..he had his eyes on the ball running back..very tough.

And now has played in a draw against the Pies on ANZAC Day. Would never have done that at North.
He's also never won an Essendon vs North game

Warning Jeff Goldblum GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back