AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay - Worth every penny

Remove this Banner Ad

I know North get a bit of stick on this board, but seriously...can you imagine what it would be like to have to front up every week as a player/admin, or as a supporter over the past 4-5 years? I think they've gone 12w & 81l or so over that time.. and not just losing, getting thumped.

They're basically a breeding ground for young talent that's going to get poached.

At least when we go through a bad patch, we know we have resources to ensure our survival. They've got a Fitzroy '96 smell about them at the moment. Two of my best mates are really concerned about their clubs future.
Get rid of them.

A win this week would see Ben double his games won since since leaving North.
He's also won more games this season than his brother

I know North get a bit of stick on this board, but seriously...can you imagine what it would be like to have to front up every week as a player/admin, or as a supporter over the past 4-5 years? I think they've gone 12w & 81l or so over that time.. and not just losing, getting thumped.

They're basically a breeding ground for young talent that's going to get poached.

At least when we go through a bad patch, we know we have resources to ensure our survival. They've got a Fitzroy '96 smell about them at the moment. Two of my best mates are really concerned about their clubs future.
Absolutely.

They are probably at their lowest point I can remember as a team since Fitzroy. It is even more dire now Tas are coming in who will get all the assistance to be competitive while completely finishing the North/Tas deal, diluting potential talent for North.

North have always struggled for fans being stuck in between Ess & Carl in what was an industrial wasteland and poor community with public housing in the 70s. They reached great heights in the 70s Barrassi era then rejeuvenated in the Carey years when they pioneered Friday night footy. Since then they have become tin rattlers and as you say a nursery for talent the big clubs are exploiting.

There have been some opportunities to relocate but didn't grab it. In hindsight, North should have gone to Qld before the Suns came into it. They then had the chance to win over Tassie but just did not have enough on field success to get noticed and by the time people were making noises, Tas wanted their own team and didn't want them.

Where to now? I hear all the "should have tanked to get Reid" but IMO, he would have been another JHF. Eagles much better chance to keep him. Picks won't work. Maybe a moneyball approach getting hardened 24y old types who have missed their chance through the draft? Senior players they hae recruited have been poor choices.

No idea really, it is dire. Eddie McGuire actually has some good ideas on his podcast in relation to untapped possibilities North of Melb in the corridor to Craigiburn starting with getting footy in to that community and North becoming their team. I actually think it could work but do they have time, AFL backing $$$ or foresight?

I work with someone who is a footy tragic and follows North and even he is gutted at current situation.

Last edited:

I have zero concerns for other clubs since the drugs saga.

I hope they die and I will laugh about it to the supports face, just like they did to us.

No sympathy, they more than most stuck the boots in during the saga years.

During ASAGA, and even the proceding years since 2016, no supporter group enjoyed more schadenfreude and took fuller toll in abusing Essendon players and fans then Norf fans.
Thats on Bigfooty and in general.

I have no care or sympathy for them or their club and what happens to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so to teach them a lesson about sympathy we shall be unsympathetic?=
Who says we are trying to teach them a lesson?

I wont actively cheer for their demise nor take any joy if it happens.
But there is no requirement for me (or anyone) to feel bad for them either, and the way they have treated us certainly doesnt dictate that sympathy be reciprocated.

I have zero concerns for other clubs since the drugs saga.

I hope they die and I will laugh about it to the supports face, just like they did to us.
i feel similarly but i'm slightly more partial to supporting other teams with players i like - such as gold coast/gws. I can feel sympathy for north in the same way that i can feel sympathy for someone failing a test or an exam in school. yeah it sucks and you'll feel bad, but you got yourself into the mess you're in, so i'm sure you can get out of it one day.

what annoys me is how it seems their life entirely revolves around our club - having a 146 page + thread about another club borders in psychotic. have a laugh at our misery and move on, being obsessed is bizarre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back