Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

What's so hard to understand is that you've witnessed one or two incidents where you reckon Wood lacked effort or desire, and have allowed that to become your entire perception of the guy.

The rest of us know that was one of his weaknesses in the early days, but it just hasn't been there the last couple of seasons. Unfortunately, he's been cruelled by injury (at least one of them arising from him being too courageous) since, so hasn't shown his superior skills.

Then we've got the guy that you salivate over, who has a fundamental weakness in his game, and you're applauding him for effort, desire. It's not under 12s mate, you don't get a participation trophy. If it's not AFL standard, it's a problem for the team.

Bottom line: JMac's tackling is still crap, but Wood's "not hard enough" weakness is no longer there. Not hard to understand.
Edit... one or two a quarter in EVERY GAME HE HAS PLAYED.

Whatever mate, you know what? I don’t even care anymore. I have been glowing about his talent since he first got here, I have continually picked him as my impact player every upcoming year.

I’ll but a Mase badge for my boy and cheer his every move this year... but if I see one squibbed contest I’ll be back here calling it out. Until then I’ll leave you to the Mase love fest.

Whatever mate, you know what? I don’t even care anymore. I have been glowing about his talent since he first got here, I have continually picked him as my impact player every upcoming year.

I’ll but a Mase badge for my boy and cheer his every move this year... but if I see one squibbed contest I’ll be back here calling it out. Until then I’ll leave you to the Mase love fest.

No worries, my view is that you won't be back here as much on Mason squibbing as I would if I wanted to come and point out every missed JMac tackle.

But we'll see.

In fairness to Phillyroo i do get where he is coming from in regards to mason not putting in 100% in every contest. 3 years ago he put in some dismal half hearted efforts (against port and freo from memory). I'm not talking about how he played but i do remember him opting to ghost behind a few contests instead of impacting it. Similar to what you do in training to highlight "hey if this was a game i would have given a contest but it's only training so it's probably best if i don't cause any unnecessary injuries." I get it - he's been hit hard by injuries in the past so he may have had that in the bad of his mind. I know for a fact he copped a stray and 2 years ago he came out harder - end result is schofield falls across his knee and he gets injuried and he also gets concussed in a marking contest.

So on one hand he needs to protect himself (he had contract negotiations going on in the background too and he can't get a juicy contract if he's injured) and on the other he needs to do what's right and hit the contest. The fact is he ghosted a few times in 2015 but for the last 2 season's i haven't seen him do it.

He has all the tools to be a top 5 forward in the comp. He just needs to string some games together.

I just think you are flat out seeing things. And you havent been a fanboy of his at all. Like ever.

If he was genuinely running away from the ball, not putting in effort, the coaches would just be all over that.

Seriously, this doesnt happen. Is he an inside mid, or a gritty defender? No, and I am pretty sure the coaches wouldnt have him playing that way.

Could he attack the contest more, probably, but running away from it.... not everyone is there to attack the contest. People with big engines like him are relied on to spread and spread and spread from contests, and play lead-up forward.

I think that when actually on the park mason is prone to work ethic issues at times. The six or so weeks of footy that he played in 2016 showed how he can play when he's hungry and wants to work for it. Think back to him courageously going back into the pack when he got knocked out against *. Or his game against the Hawks that we just lost, he had 4 or 5 big chase down tackles from behind.

I don't think that intensity was in his game last year. He can't rely on talent alone he has to work for it. Other wise he will be just a wasted talent.

It would also help if he didn't keep getting injured.

I'm not seeing any connections for these Wood/MacMillan claims.

Mate, you might have missed it, but Philly has had a hard-on for JMac for a long time, at times claiming he was the only real JMac supporter amongst us (a misconception, of course, but not relevant here). He's always been the opposite with Mason, and is happy to consistently criticise him.

I like both players, and was just pointing out the hypocrisy of accepting one player's weaknesses and hailing him a star, whilst consistently sniping another (superior-skilled) player for a weakness that he probably had in the early days, but not so much in recent seasons. On the one hand, exaggerate Mason's weakness by saying he squibs it 4-8 times a game, and on the other, play down to the point of ignoring the fact that JMac still doesn't stick tackles.

So, no other connection than the inconsistency of treatment by one poster. I never jumped on it before, but for Philly to come back from his self-imposed ban for the sole purpose of getting stuck into Mason didn't sit well with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of his biggest fans and I know his ceiling is higher than nearly anyone on our list but if he keeps up this sort of output I worry his development curve may follow that of one A.Black.

I disagreed with phillyroo 12 months ago but some of the signs are there now.

Hopefully that was him just trying to get to round 1 unscathed.

I only can think back to that hawthorn game at the dome, he looked the real deal that night

One of his biggest fans and I know his ceiling is higher than nearly anyone on our list but if he keeps up this sort of output I worry his development curve may follow that of one A.Black.

First hit out of the year coming off a broken thumb in a game we were smashed in.

I’m prepared to cut him some slack.

First hit out of the year coming off a broken thumb in a game we were smashed in.

I’m prepared to cut him some slack.
I'm not. He's a 24 year old bloke with all the talent in the world, playing a sport for a living and earning buckets more than 99% of us ever will. He wasn't trying, just straight up wasn't trying and that is so far from acceptable I'll be dissapointed if he doesn't start in the 2s.

I'm one of his biggest fans ability wise, but if you aren't trying, you don't deserve to be there. It was embarrassing.

I'm not. He's a 24 year old bloke with all the talent in the world, playing a sport for a living and earning buckets more than 99% of us ever will. He wasn't trying, just straight up wasn't trying and that is so far from acceptable I'll be dissapointed if he doesn't start in the 2s.

I'm one of his biggest fans ability wise, but if you aren't trying, you don't deserve to be there. It was embarrassing.

He also plays in a side with the worst forward delivery in the AFL.

He also plays in a side with the worst forward delivery in the AFL.

True.

But so does Turner.
So does Brown.
So does Hrovat.

He can't just hide behind that forever. Time is now.

Probably his worst game. Lacked confidence. Had a shot from 50 out in the 2nd and didnt make the distance.

Not sure he plays round 1, might need to come back through the VFL.

Had a stinker but can look past it due to his first game back and general lack of continuity.

If he's trying to play as bruise free after 12 consecutive weeks that judgement might change.

I'm not writing him off but he needs to get his s**t together. Made of glass at the moment and comes back like it each time as well. He's too old and had too long on the list to keep on in this way as a non KPF in between forward. A sore thumb doesn't mean he can't run his arse off, burn opponents and apply pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back