Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

For a rebuilding team, I’m concerned that round of none of Wood, Nielsen, Durdin, Daw, Or McKay are playing (or Larkey for that matter). Then of course there is Preuss.

It makes sense. Burn first rounders on KPP's, ignore drafting mids, the don't play the KPP.

It's brilliant in its simplicity

Really disturbed hes not playing. To be a poor side and have 4-6 year players in the twos is not great. Delisting a few wont help. This is heading for list hell.

A few things to work on??? Been hearing that for years, so why give him the big contract when the swans wanted to pay up for him? The dudes career is half over now, if fit play him. This is just becoming irrational drivel.

A few things to work on??? Been hearing that for years, so why give him the big contract when the swans wanted to pay up for him? The dudes career is half over now, if fit play him. This is just becoming irrational drivel.

He hasn't looked that fit, nor ready for AFL level play, from what I've seen of him this year. He's probably just not ready.

He hasn't looked that fit, nor ready for AFL level play, from what I've seen of him this year. He's probably just not ready.
Why’s that TT, I thought he was basically recovered from his knee at the end of last season, borderline could have played but wasn’t risked, then just the thumb setback wouldn’t impact fitness?

Why’s that TT, I thought he was basically recovered from his knee at the end of last season, borderline could have played but wasn’t risked, then just the thumb setback wouldn’t impact fitness?

Dunno mate. Just as worrying has been the large number of players who HAVE played AFL and appeared as unready as Wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laziness

That's the word that came to my mind when Bard mentioned "he has a few things to work on".
There are so many paganisms that would apply to Masons situation.

I think Mason does the bare minimum well.
Looks good in the time trial and out on the track.
But it seems he has a considerable lack of effort on improving the weak side to his game and that his raw talent is not enough to get him a gig week in week out.

There are so many paganisms that would apply to Masons situation.

I think Mason does the bare minimum well.
Looks good in the time trial and out on the track.
But it seems he has a considerable lack of effort on improving the weak side to his game and that his raw talent is not enough to get him a gig week in week out.

History's filled with unfulfilled talent types. I still hope like hell his body holds together and he strings good games together. If he does have an injury free run the rest is up to him. Put up or shut up time will be upon him before he can blink if he doesn't apply himself fully soon.

History's filled with unfulfilled talent types. I still hope like hell his body holds together and he strings good games together. If he does have an injury free run the rest is up to him. Put up or shut up time will be upon him before he can blink if he doesn't apply himself fully soon.
The injuries to talented personnel as opposed to depth talent at North is ridiculous. We need to strike gold soon.

Not a fan of the four yearer he got and the comfort it’s seemed to have provided him. I’m hoping the next time he comes into the 22 he doesn’t depart it for a while.

IMO he doesn't go hard 90%+ of the time. You see him regularly step up his intensity - which begs the question as to why the step up exists. He should be pushing for that level all game. I'm hopeful it's still injuries nagging at his mind. Tick tock.

Edit: Realised I wrote that wrong. I don't mean he doesn't go hard, I mean that he doesn't push as physically as he can on the contest in 90% or more contests. If he wants to be a great player at AFL level it just won't cut it in the positions he's playing.

Last edited:
Wood, Black, Bastinac, Dumont, Mullet, Durdin, Nielsen. Almost like there's a trend...

So many weak and mentally weak players we’ve had - is that drafting or coaching issue.

Can’t we have a kid come out and brain it from day dot.
We have a circle jerk when a player gets 20 touches in the vfl

Ability to play half-back?

Don't know if you are taking the piss, but I reckon that makes good sense.

Contemporary HFF is probably the most demanding position to play these days, and he may not have the mindset to play the position. He's not really a "work horse" type of player.

Needs to look at the type of game that Waite played yesterday and work on modelling his game on that. He ain't going to be a star forward/goal kicker like Browny but with his running power, marking and skills he needs to be able to get all over the ground and have an impact like Waite did.

Needs to look at the type of game that Waite played yesterday and work on modelling his game on that. He ain't going to be a star forward/goal kicker like Browny but with his running power, marking and skills he needs to be able to get all over the ground and have an impact like Waite did.

This. Wood has the perfect player to model his game around and he plays in the same club, trains together, and mentor/give advice whenever. Waite is also a great example of a player who just couldn't stay on the park when he was younger but that you can still have a long career if you keep at it. This is what Wood is frustratingly experiencing now but there's still a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

Yep. Part of the reason I'm so harsh on him not showing the intensity needed often enough. He's not going to play a position where he's going to be able to just bob up and do the odd flashy thing. He needs to motor all game and use his agility, speed and size (against mids) to open up the middle of the ground. Can still play a CHF - CHB floating role. Less emphasis on the term floating though. Needs to power through. Still time and I still think he can come very good for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back