Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Wood will play and so might TT for one of the slow plodding mids.

I wouldn't describe TT as fast though... still think off HFF is a good role for him especially to start with. Would love for TT to get in, unlike LDU last year I suspect once he's in he'll prove very hard to dislodge - completely different role and he's ready to impact IMO.

Listen to the Scott interview on the nmfc website with sports day. The final few minute just takes an unexpected turn to Wood. Wow.

Listen to the Scott interview on the nmfc website with sports day. The final few minute just takes an unexpected turn to Wood. Wow.

What’s “wow” about it?

Basically they say he hasn’t lived up to his potential and he may never. Has had some excuses with injuriesbut he’s had a good pre season so it’s time to perform.

Its all between the ears for Mason.

Reminds me of Daw before the switch to down back...

I think Wood should be utilised further up field with instructions to use his running capacity to wear his man down. Then slip in to the 50 and present.

I think he plays much better when on the move....constantly.

I don't think playing Wood as a straight line forward who is a 2nd alternative to Brown will do him well....

He might develop into a reliable 2nd target....but not anytime soon..needs to shake that doubt and fear....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What’s “wow” about it?

Basically they say he hasn’t lived up to his potential and he may never. Has had some excuses with injuriesbut he’s had a good pre season so it’s time to perform.

They're talking to Scott and his first performance. Right at the end of it, they single out Wood and put him under the microscope. I just thought that was pretty interesting in a segment that was dedicated to Scott.

Christ. I really want to hear this, but 10 seconds with the hosts has me wanting to hurt small animals.

Yeah I realised i'd lose it so I skipped forward to about the 7 minute mark. I can't listen to AFL media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in the VFL?

can do no worse than andrew mackie. sometimes a change of position will bring out all the one's misfiring talent. Wood at forward is putting too much stress on his body that is not beneficial for him. Hard to explain this but the rigors of being a forward and defender is different, while wood is talented as a forward his assets and suitability is far more likely in defense. His best position is half back flank with runs along the wing.

can do no worse than andrew mackie. sometimes a change of position will bring out all the one's misfiring talent. Wood at forward is putting too much stress on his body that is not beneficial for him. Hard to explain this but the rigors of being a forward and defender is different, while wood is talented as a forward his assets and suitability is far more likely in defense. His best position is half back flank with runs along the wing.
Fair enough. Has he ever played in the defense before? I thought his body had been pretty sound for a while. It's a tough decision in that he has only played 40 games so probably needs an extended run, but as a guy that has been around for a fair while he really needs to do more.

Time to move Wood on. Was it 3-4 years ago that he was hot property for a few clubs. Seems he would be worth nothing, but that is all he offers. Im disappointed because he has potential, but has delivered SFA in his years at the club. Back in the VFL he might do okay, but he does nothing in the AFL.

Is wasting his talent with no desire to attack the ball.
Scotts lack of flexibility to move the side around, when it ain’t clicking isn’t helping our players either.
Scott's lacks flexibility full stop.

Woods role is to create space for BB, but no coaches /defenders respect him enough to give a s**t. Soft footballer.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough. Has he ever played in the defense before? I thought his body had been pretty sound for a while. It's a tough decision in that he has only played 40 games so probably needs an extended run, but as a guy that has been around for a fair while he really needs to do more.

i mean if majak could become an elite defender, wood certainly can. Sometimes a change of position would bring out one's full potential. Mick martyn was once drafted as a forward if what i read was correct.

Scott's lacks flexibility full stop.

Woods role is to create space for BB, but no coaches /defenders respect him enough to give a s**t. Soft footballer.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

His softness is due to a lack of clarity of his role, what is his role, is he the centre half forward? on the other hand if he is on half back flank. His becomes a lot more accountable. His job is to run the ball out with long kick and use his athleticism to advantage. Also he can do 1 v 1 against medium sized forwards. As forwards you need to be the type of people who has a flair of creating stuff, wood is probably a more reactive type player hence forward is not his forte.

In all reality it’s looking like Wood is going to be yet another case of talent we have failed to develop.

In saying that he’ll become a better and more consistent player if 3 things were to happen:

1. He is played closer to goal (because that’s where he actually wants to play). His role has changed significantly since Ziebell went forward.

2. If he plays with 2 genuine key forwards in the team. He HAS to be 3rd or 4th banana. He doesn’t have the physicality to beat the 2nd best key position defender which he is often getting since Waite has left the side.

3. Quicker ball movement. He is a lead up forward not a big time contested marking forward (especially since the concussion). He needs space and quick ball movement to utilise his leading. He is going to continue to be s**t as long as we continue to move the ball slowly and bomb it inside 50.

Unfortunately I don’t see any of those three things changing any time soon. Ziebell has taken his preferred spot in the closer to goal in theforward line, Scott won’t play Larkey (a 2nd ruck isn’t the answer) and our ball movement/game plan sucks ass.

I’d say he’ll be looking at his options come the end of the season, to try find a coach that will utilise his strengths.

In all reality it’s looking like Wood is going to be yet another case of talent we have failed to develop.

In saying that he’ll become a better and more consistent player if 3 things were to happen:

1. He is played closer to goal (because that’s where he actually wants to play). His role has changed significantly since Ziebell went forward.

2. If he plays with 2 genuine key forwards in the team. He HAS to be 3rd or 4th banana. He doesn’t have the physicality to beat the 2nd best key position defender which he is often getting since Waite has left the side.

3. Quicker ball movement. He is a lead up forward not a big time contested marking forward (especially since the concussion). He needs space and quick ball movement to utilise his leading. He is going to continue to be s**t as long as we continue to move the ball slowly and bomb it inside 50.

Unfortunately I don’t see any of those three things changing any time soon. Ziebell has taken his preferred spot in the closer to goal in theforward line, Scott won’t play Larkey (a 2nd ruck isn’t the answer) and our ball movement/game plan sucks ass.

I’d say he’ll be looking at his options come the end of the season, to try find a coach that will utilise his strengths.
All very good points. We really need a proper CHF. Wood would be very tough match up as a 3rd or 4th close to goal

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All of what you say is valid, but the most important point is that, as you say, JZ has taken his spot. It's the most important point because the reason is that JZ is better in it. No amount of sugar coating will change that. Personally, I still think there's space up forward for Mason as well but I can see why the club want him to play a link role, long term I'm not sure how sustainable it is for a player of his size to have their main impact as a crumbing forward that doesn't put much pressure the opposition. The game now relies on keeping the ball inside 50m. JZ is infinitely better at the moment at both marking the ball, making space for and use of the space around Brown and using his agility and aggression at ground level to retain the ball in our 50 and scare the living s**t out of opponents.

Wood needs to lift.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back