Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not giving up on him either, after last weeks defensive turnover debacle.

I'll wait and see how he goes when he's getting decent opportunities.
Perhaps a simplified approach would benefit Wood. He gets lost up the ground, his best game last year was at the SCG, routinely found himself close to goal and playing across the arc. I'd like to see him spend more time inside 50, and Ziebell could be used as the hit up forward. I also think Campbell could be right in the mix for a run.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps a simplified approach would benefit Wood. He gets lost up the ground, his best game last year was at the SCG, routinely found himself close to goal and playing across the arc. I'd like to see him spend more time inside 50, and Ziebell could be used as the hit up forward. I also think Campbell could be right in the mix for a run.

He had a s**t game mate but most of the team did. Think he's footy smart so doesn't necessarily need a dumbed down role.

It's useful to laterally apply Denis Pagan's bad boy rule (for assessing the risk-benefit of recruiting so called "bad boys") - would this player be top 10 B&F on your list if they get it right?

If everything clicks for Mason Wood he's AFL top 100 talent at the least. So unfairly he gets some concessions.

As a point of contrast Jame MacMillan is an experienced club leader in defence and I'm less willing to overlook his tackling deficiencies no matter how many times he gets it because he's hardly balancing it up with breakneck rebound or precision passing to balance the equation.

He had a s**t game mate but most of the team did. Think he's footy smart so doesn't necessarily need a dumbed down role.

It's useful to laterally apply Denis Pagan's bad boy rule (for assessing the risk-benefit of recruiting so called "bad boys") - would this player be top 10 B&F on your list if they get it right?

If everything clicks for Mason Wood he's AFL top 100 talent at the least. So unfairly he gets some concessions.

As a point of contrast Jame MacMillan is an experienced club leader in defence and I'm less willing to overlook his tackling deficiencies no matter how many times he gets it because he's hardly balancing it up with breakneck rebound or precision passing to balance the equation.

He may be “footy smart” but to me his onfield performances and (admittedly anecdotal) comments from various parties tend to indicate that he may be mentally overthinking his approach at times. His set shot kicking over the last season or so as opposed to his exceptionally accurate crumbing goals over the same period may be another symptom of a player that needs to be more in the moment and less intellectual about their football, at least in the short term. It is possible that playing a clear, defined, close to goal role (see ball, win ball, kick goal) might be beneficial in the short term – or at least bring it to a head. For mine he’s also shown the most in the last year or so when playing as a crumbing style flanker role rather than up the field as a decoy, transition or whatever the hell he has been doing. You can’t play decoy when you don’t take marks, don’t tackle and don’t get near the ball – therefore maybe time to show your hand and fight for goals. The bloke has undeniable talent, attributes and is physically as ready as you can be. We either find a role to let him blossom in the short term (with potentially more creative roles down the track), we persist with the current system or we drop him and rethink the approach. I’m not necessarily attached to either approach right as of this moment but I don’t think a player who has essentially been playing up the ground a lot gets a free pass on delivery like say someone like Brown or JZ. He’s not playing deep forward so he is part of the problem of not getting it there as of today.

Last edited:
I'm still holding on Mason Wood stock. He had a sub-par start but his stop start career means he's never built a strong enough baseline to just turn up and deliver.

As said earlier, he tends to reflect the side's tempo rather than set it. But that means when the side is breaking even or on top, so does he.
I too am still holding out for him but what you've written there makes him sound like a soft front runner.

Campbell will play before Larkey
And the irony of that will be that Brad has never wanted 2 ruckman in the side.

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell in - especially at Marvel - as we need another big body.

I think it's time for Larkey though to be given an extended time in the one's - he is the future of the forward line.

I too am still holding out for him but what you've written there makes him sound like a soft front runner.

Wasn't the intention. Not every bloke has the capability to stand up and change the direction of a game, in fact few do.

Wood almost has it but I can't see him turning a game around if the midfield were getting trounced like Waite could.

I was pretty sceptical of Maj and the glimpses of potential over a number of years tended to frustrate but based on his 2018 form Im pretty glad the club persisted......Id like to think Mason deserves the same opportunity......

Wasn't the intention. Not every bloke has the capability to stand up and change the direction of a game, in fact few do.

Wood almost has it but I can't see him turning a game around if the midfield were getting trounced like Waite could.
He doesn’t need to stand up and change the game.
I’d be happy for a contest and or a maybe a tackle.

Just something Mason, do something..

He doesn’t need to stand up and change the game.
I’d be happy for a contest and or a maybe a tackle.

Just something Mason, do something..

He was poor, no argument there. Just reiterating not every bloke (in fact very of them) are absolute professionals who put out to a high personal standard every game they play.

Honestly, Andrew Swallow and perhaps Ben Jacobs after turning tagger are the only blokes who have delivered to their best possible standard in every single game they've played in the last 5 years. Scott Thompson might just sneak into that little group too.

Everyone else has been a flakey pretender at some point.

He's not even a top 10 talent at this club, one of the most "evenly talented" (nicest way to put it) in the league. Talent wise across the AFL he's completely irrelevant.

He was poor, no argument there. Just reiterating not every bloke (in fact very of them) are absolute professionals who put out to a high personal standard every game they play.

Honestly, Andrew Swallow and perhaps Ben Jacobs after turning tagger are the only blokes who have delivered to their best possible standard in every single game they've played in the last 5 years. Scott Thompson might just sneak into that little group too.

Everyone else has been a flakey pretender at some point.
That’s a cop out, you make the players sound like school kids.
They are paid professionals.
Why haven’t they been instilled a high professional work ethic along with high professional standards.

I guess brads standard of first and foremost creating high quality humans doesn’t mean reliable ones. These blokes are just going thru the motions and it’s pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to understand what is going on within the coaches box, if the bloke isnt getting it move him onto the wing, or place him at half back.

Wood has been underperforming, we know this, however the ball went inside 50 about 40 times, how many were directed towards him? and how many to some sort of advantage? Not many.

What talent have we developed in recent years? every stagnates or goes backwards.
How do promising Talants like, Wood, Lmac, Black, Harper all show so much and then spud it up?
if they are not performing, drop them, or try them elsewhere on the ground.

My assessment wasn't based on one quiet game on the weekend. He has huge upside, and at 25 we have only seen glimpses. Given he is playing high, 13 possessions and a little over a goal a game can't just fall back onto delivery. Hence my suggestion getting closer to goal and letting him jump at it might benefit his confidence and as a result his consistency.

And the irony of that will be that Brad has never wanted 2 ruckman in the side.

I don't know if that's true in and of itself. I think he's been unwilling because of our lack of run in the middle, understandably so, but you are right that it may be time to reassess. We are not short of runners in the midfield now and need to structure accordingly rather than running Goldy into the ground.

I was pretty sceptical of Maj and the glimpses of potential over a number of years tended to frustrate but based on his 2018 form Im pretty glad the club persisted......Id like to think Mason deserves the same opportunity......

I'm on record as being on the more supportive side of Maj's inclusion but I don't think it's unfair to say that even when Majak had poor games getting near the ball or his opponent was never really the issue. The problem as it stands today with Wood is that he is invisible for massive amounts of each game. Not beaten - not even in the contest. Majak was always able to draw the ball and contests.

That’s a cop out, you make the players sound like school kids.
They are paid professionals.
Why haven’t they been instilled a high professional work ethic along with high professional standards.

I guess brads standard of first and foremost creating high quality humans doesn’t mean reliable ones. These blokes are just going thru the motions and it’s pathetic.

Mate I agree with you and have the same questions.

Not all players or all teams are created equal.

In 2016 with it all on the line why did we front up against an injured bulldogs playing like we had it in the bag while every one of their blokes played like his career was on the line? How did they go on to win a flag with arguably the worst list to ever do so?

Attitude.

He's on his last year to deliver for my mind. It's now or never, otherwise I'm done caring and I'm done seeing him play.

I was similar with Maj on his year to defence, I promised that was my last year of patience with him and surprisingly he delivered and became one of the better defenders in the league, it was remarkable.

I dno who said what to Daw during that year, but for him to turn things around like that was nothing short of a miracle. Someones gotta have that talk with Mason.

Very skilled.

The grab in the pocket against Hawthorn would have to be some of the most boring commentary you'll ever hear.
I remember harper kicking a great goal against Richmond in 2012 think it was the same game Petrie took Rance to the cleaners... now that was probably up there as the very worst commentary.

It might only be round 2 but l think its time to move Wood down back and McKay up forward or play Larkey. His performances during his time at North have been poor to average. Taking into account all the injuries he's had l cant see him getting any better than what we see now. We need to get more game time into Larkey so l would rather this than have the mediocre performances that Wood has been giving all these years. His good to great games are few and far between.

It might only be round 2 but l think its time to move Wood down back and McKay up forward or play Larkey. His performances during his time at North have been poor to average. Taking into account all the injuries he's had l cant see him getting any better than what we see now. We need to get more game time into Larkey so l would rather this than have the mediocre performances that Wood has been giving all these years. His good to great games are few and far between.

Where has this Wood down back stuff come from that's popping up on here regularly? I have seen ZERO evidence that Mason Wood has the attributes to be even a remotely competent defender. If he's not playing well enough to be a 3rd tall or winger in this team there is no place for him as it stands unless he demonstrates an ability to perform in that role. We're not trying to find the perfect spot for a player that has proven their ability here. It's not playing Higgins in the middle or off half forward. He does not deserve a spot somewhere just because he's not injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back