Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it on very good authority, Freo put absolutely NO time into planning for Wood or Turner.....

I find that very hard to believe.

I could believe they had a heavier focus on others, but to suggest they put no time into how they could stop them and exploit them would be crazy.

I got told something last year that made me have real concerns on Wood’s future.

He is consistently in the top 2-3 runners at the club, he has excellent aerobic conditioning and is one of our better trainers. Ultimate professional around the club and away from it with what he eats and what he does out on the social scene.

But.......On game day he is very rarely in the top 10 for distance covered in the game despite have high TOG%.

It isn’t a lack of footy nous imo, he knows how to get to the right areas and he has shown he can find the footy in the past. But his distance covered suggests to me that their is no drive or desire on game day. He just doesn’t give 100%, because if he was those distance covered numbers would be huge (like brown & Turner).

The footballing talent is there but there is serious concerns about the mental side of his game.

I got told something last year that made me have real concerns on Wood’s future.

He is consistently in the top 2-3 runners at the club, he has excellent aerobic conditioning and is one of our better trainers. Ultimate professional around the club and away from it with what he eats and what he does out on the social scene.

But.......On game day he is very rarely in the top 10 for distance covered in the game despite have high TOG%.

It isn’t a lack of footy nous imo, he knows how to get to the right areas and he has shown he can find the footy in the past. But his distance covered suggests to me that their is no drive or desire on game day. He just doesn’t give 100%, because if he was those distance covered numbers would be huge (like brown & Turner).

The footballing talent is there but there is serious concerns about the mental side of his game.

Probably because he knows he going to pull a hammy if he gets into second gear

Put him in the backline. With his overhead ability, skills, size and endurance he could be just what we need. Good forwards make great backmen.

BUT

Do it in the VFL until he is dominating.

Well, FFS. If there is any truth to this at all then I have real concerns about the future of this club. Because if our match committee and coaching team have this data and continue to play him in the AFL then we are absolutely doomed to fail repeatedly. Over the years I've taken issue with some things the Brad Scott era selection committee have done and the biggest issue I've seen is a propensity to gamble rather than playing the odds. You can afford to have one champion player that is coming back a bit underdone and you need them in - say Tarrant for last weekend. What you can't afford is to carry 8 of these blokes on the hope that they'll all come good at the same time. The odds are that they won't. This is a dangerous - and conservative - habit they've formed. Instead of taking a risk on fit (albeit inexperienced) they gamble week after week that players will come good and it is frustrating. If the above information is true I struggle to understand how Wood can be a walk up start week 1 of a new season.

Well, FFS. If there is any truth to this at all then I have real concerns about the future of this club. Because if our match committee and coaching team have this data and continue to play him in the AFL then we are absolutely doomed to fail repeatedly. Over the years I've taken issue with some things the Brad Scott era selection committee have done and the biggest issue I've seen is a propensity to gamble rather than playing the odds. You can afford to have one champion player that is coming back a bit underdone and you need them in - say Tarrant for last weekend. What you can't afford is to carry 8 of these blokes on the hope that they'll all come good at the same time. The odds are that they won't. This is a dangerous - and conservative - habit they've formed. Instead of taking a risk on fit (albeit inexperienced) they gamble week after week that players will come good and it is frustrating. If the above information is true I struggle to understand how Wood can be a walk up start week 1 of a new season.

They done the exact same thing with Aaron Black. Blacky actually said he wasn’t up to playing with his shoulder but they pushed him to keep playing anyway.

They did the same thing without firrito a few years back when he was out of form. Spud said that it was a ‘relief’ to be dropped to take the pressure off.

They pushed Goldy to the brink of collapse when it obvious his off field stuff was having an impact on game day.

I’ve said it time and time again the development of our players and the acceptance of mediocrity under Scott is dumbfounding.

They done the exact same thing with Aaron Black. Blacky actually said he wasn’t up to playing with his shoulder but they pushed him to keep playing anyway.

They did the same thing without firrito a few years back when he was out of form. Spud said that it was a ‘relief’ to be dropped to take the pressure off.

They pushed Goldy to the brink of collapse when it obvious his off field stuff was having an impact on game day.

I’ve said it time and time again the development of our players and the acceptance of mediocrity under Scott is dumbfounding.

It's like the old test cricket side.

It's harder to get out of than in to.

There's a discussion here that isn't necessarily for the Mason Wood thread, but, someone asked in another thread what it is about Scott’s gameplan over the years that leads it to fail so spectacularly at regular intervals and then require us to get redemption.

These types of decisions above - and the selection pattern - indicate to me that there is too much reliance on structure. It makes us brittle at times and it leads to players being selected when not in form / fit because they provide this fabled structure. When every player needs to know the "structure" perfectly then every player becomes indispensable. From the outside in it looks like the gameplan was designed to cover (some well known) deficiencies in the player group from the start of Brad's tenure. Over time these deficiencies have been worked on but the gameplan still is designed to deal with the same issues.

Last edited:
Ffs, Mason isn’t an horrendous footballer because he had been mishandled by the club, he is the way he is because he is flat out scared. The only running he does is away from both contact and potential contact. It has been the case for a long time!

The very occasional moment of “bravery” going back with the flight is all too rare.
If we are serious he should never ever wear our jumper again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ffs, Mason isn’t an horrendous footballer because he had been mishandled by the club, he is the way he is because he is flat out scared. The only running he does is away from both contact and potential contact. It has been the case for a long time!

The very occasional moment of “bravery” going back with the flight is all too rare.

I for one am not blaming the club for Mason’s performances – I’m blaming them for picking him.

I’ve said it before we drafted Polec.
Mason should model he’s game on Polec.
All he has to do is use that big tank of his and make it to the outside of a pack. Get it run with and kick it.

He’d be great at it.

Is it open season on Mason?

He has his impediments but unlike a lot of our players with inherent football handicaps - he has outright star quality if/when he ever pulls it together.

For mine that means he gets a bit more leeway to get it right.

He still has to deliver a baseline level though. I have no issue with him not starring every week but he is invisible way too often. He's had injuries, yes, but he is not 21. He has the body, fitness and strength of a senior player. It is not a conspiracy against him - his career is literally disappearing before his eyes. It's up to Mason whether that bothers him enough to change.

Before he landed on his head after a spectacular mark I wouldn't have said that about him.

Yeah I made a statement yesterday and today I revisited that well, he's now apparently second guessing himself, not wanting to get in other players way etc.

I suppose my frustration is that something clearly isn't right and we should have traded him when we had the opportunity. But we hold onto guys with value when we may actually feel they'll never get there. FYI we're putting a s**t load of work into Mas.

Could we try him on the ball if as it’s been suggested he can’t read the play? We will find out pretty quickly or not if he is a up for the contest in the middle. He has the aerobic capacity (sudposedly). He just seems to talented to not try different things. I still want to believe Mason.

Yep - I have been a fan for years but didn't like what I saw at the back end of last year and this year has been borderline putrid.

Multiple dominant games in the reserves now required before being promoted back to the firsts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back