Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a team wide trait. Most of them didn't want to take set shots or looked scared stiff about attempting them.
But why? Doesnt Boomer work on goal kicking technique with the fowards every week?

I actually thought of a few occassions he was trying TOO hard. None of those overcommits came off so he got torched on the rebound.

Not reading too much into last night other than we are a fair way off the reigning premiers.

Due to ceiling I'd give him 3 weeks with a clear instruction of what is expected. He needs to be fully aware that if those KPI's aren't meant he's off to the magoos

I actually thought of a few occassions he was trying TOO hard. None of those overcommits came off so he got torched on the rebound.

Not reading too much into last night other than we are a fair way off the reigning premiers.

Due to ceiling I'd give him 3 weeks with a clear instruction of what is expected. He needs to be fully aware that if those KPI's aren't meant he's off to the magoos
In those 3 games would it be asking too much to expect him to kick 3 goals?

I thought he showed good signs. Looked to be everywhere early. Definitely was lacking touch but saw enough signs. If he is fit then he has to play round 1. Especially on a big ground up in QLD. Love that he plays as a traditional CHF type.

Agree completely on playing him. If he is fit there is literally no point not playing him for any game this year. He needs to make or break and won't learn anything "developing" in the VFL. But he clearly is not delivering on his potential for a variety of reasons. We do not have enough seasoned and fit players that we can't be playing guys like him from the start of the year.

sorry guys , Wood is just too injury prone & its sapping his confidence & ability big time. Injured thumb, what next? Cant see him turning it around. Just out of interest can anyone quickly list his injuries over the past 2 seasons?

Had a stinker but can look past it due to his first game back and general lack of continuity.

If he's trying to play as bruise free after 12 consecutive weeks that judgement might change.
This. People forget he's had a horrid run with injury. Subconsciously he'd just want to get through games and get a decent run at it. Once he gets that he will start to add more physicality to his game. I don't necessarily agree with him not giving it all but i also see it from his perspective and ours long term. It's make or break and if he gets another long-term injury the coaches may lose faoth in him.

Not having a go - it is the same thing. Listen to that interview and he could be talking about the attitude to minor injuries. Or concussion, or not punching people onfield when it was necessary.

Is it Rock that talks at Swatta's induction into the HoF and talks about Dennis, at the u19 selections, wanting "resilience", specifically in his players? Back then it referred to the ability to absorb mental pressure and physical punishment and come back. These days its a word more associated with mental toughness and network flexibility. I struggle to see that in a lot of teams these days not just North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. People forget he's had a horrid run with injury. Subconsciously he'd just want to get through games and get a decent run at it. Once he gets that he will start to add more physicality to his game. I don't necessarily agree with him not giving it all but i also see it from his perspective and ours long term. It's make or break and if he gets another long-term injury the coaches may lose faoth in him.

Would be extremely surprised if his instructions didn't include something to the effect of "just get some run into your legs and get used to being back out there."

This isn't a shot at Wood as this occurs with other players, but how many blokes from our 90s side you think miss through this sort of injury?
Probably not too many those guys were as tough as. It's well known Carey played with a torn calf muscle in a final & was just about BOG, but then again not too many like him anymore unfortunately.

Probably not too many those guys were as tough as. It's well known Carey played with a torn calf muscle in a final & was just about BOG, but then again not too many like him anymore unfortunately.
Pushing on in a final is vastly different to risky a worse injury in the JLT.

Less Peacock and more C**k Fighter please Mason. You have the chassis and tank.

Hoping the thumb heals asap and he puts the pedal to the metal come round one, but fearing he'll be oiled up with muscles glistening in the tropical sunlight noticing the admiring looks from the feral Tropical transplanted Victorians over the fence instead.

Less Peacock and more C**k Fighter please Mason. You have the chassis and tank.

Hoping the thumb heals asap and he puts the pedal to the metal come round one, but fearing he'll be oiled up with muscles glistening in the tropical sunlight noticing the admiring looks from the feral Tropical transplanted Victorians over the fence instead.
This

You could apply this too many on our list who are looking more and more concerned with their social media image then ‘bringing it’ consistently in the game.

He is 24 but has only played 26 games so he deserves one more year.

I had very high hopes for him in 2017 but it wasn't to be - really needs to make 2018 his year. I'm sure he is a lock for round 1.

If in 12 months we are still talking about his 'potential' or 'what injury is it this time' - then he will end up down the Aaron Black road.

Not sure where I land on Mase - I hope he makes it - we need him - but it's line ball at this stage of his career.

Long contract and injury is a perfect storm for player regression. He has all of the attributes of a gun, has shown some wonderful stuff.

However he needs to think of this year as make or break. While only 50 26 (jesus, that few, injury doesn't account for all that) odd games in, he would of grown as a person and needs to take that maturity and embed it into his game and realise that he not only belongs, but should be leading this clubs comeback to relevance.

Make your mark mason, this is the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back