Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2 goals make his stats look better, but he was basically gifted those off the work rate of other players. Any other forward could have been there to take them.

The rest of the statline is the worry. Essentially playing 1 down for 90% of the match.

Spending the least amount of TOG too, why? It's not like he's wearing himself out running arc to arc.

The 2 goals make his stats look better, but he was basically gifted those off the work rate of other players. Any other forward could have been there to take them.

The rest of the statline is the worry. Essentially playing 1 down for 90% of the match.

Spending the least amount of TOG too, why? It's not like he's wearing himself out running arc to arc.
That is just a load of stinky s**t. You have no clue.

Waite and Brown kicked 4 and 5 in 30 mins of footy today
When they’re on you get out of the bloody way
And Ziebell came to play today after a poor fortnight. Can’t help but feel like a sideshow

Having a quiet day and still kicking 2 just speaks to how Mason utilises his possessions well and how clean of a kick he is.

When you're next to Ziebell, Waite and Ben Brown ofcourse one of these forwards is going to be the least impactful. Let's not forget how Sydney clamped Ben Brown and Mason was there to save the day.

Did a lot of decoy work higher up the ground to get space for Waite & Brown, and the coach alluded to it. Then still picked up 2 goals. I'll take that.

Did a lot of decoy work higher up the ground to get space for Waite & Brown, and the coach alluded to it. Then still picked up 2 goals. I'll take that.

True, I'm not even remotely writing him off - just needs more and more games. I did mention after the Sydney game his danger would help the others and I think that has happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, its more his work up the ground and pressure acts id be focused on than goals. The later is bonus.

I noticed him in our backline a few times putting pressure on - kind of what Waite did as well, tho maybe not as effective as Waite - and I also noticed times when the forward line had plenty of space and he wasn't there. Neither were plenty of defenders so it was open and that worked for us. Sometimes if you do that on the forward line things work out for the other forwards. Its good teamwork.

Was very disappointed with his first half- a few times right in front of where I was sitting he just didn't go hard enough at the man or ball, kind of faked a bump but didn't commit or put his body on the line. He and Hartung stood out like the proverbial dogs testes in this regard, particularly given the likes of Ziebell, Jed, Cunners and BJ are so consistently tough. Its not a lack of willingness to tackle for either of these guys, you can just tell they don't throw their bodies at the ball in order to win it- both are happy to let the other guy go harder and then attempt to make the tackle.

Still, he is a weapon when he gets his kick/mark game going. Just worried (as Brad has said) that he doesn't have the tools/desire to involve himself in the game when things aren't going his way. I've noticed at VFL level too, when he's 'on' his defensive game is there too, but if he can't get into the game early he literally just dissapears. Its strange, and a bit of a worry, but I'll back him in for now. Has all the offensive tools.

Was very disappointed with his first half- a few times right in front of where I was sitting he just didn't go hard enough at the man or ball, kind of faked a bump but didn't commit or put his body on the line. He and Hartung stood out like the proverbial dogs testes in this regard, particularly given the likes of Ziebell, Jed, Cunners and BJ are so consistently tough. Its not a lack of willingness to tackle for either of these guys, you can just tell they don't throw their bodies at the ball in order to win it- both are happy to let the other guy go harder and then attempt to make the tackle.

Still, he is a weapon when he gets his kick/mark game going. Just worried (as Brad has said) that he doesn't have the tools/desire to involve himself in the game when things aren't going his way. I've noticed at VFL level too, when he's 'on' his defensive game is there too, but if he can't get into the game early he literally just dissapears. Its strange, and a bit of a worry, but I'll back him in for now. Has all the offensive tools.
Pretty strong words from brad. Got any kind of a link?

FYI I think being concerned about his consistency is totally fair.

Folks, please understand that Mason plays the high decoy role, and rate him accordingly. He's the option we use when Browny & Waitey are getting swarmed. When that happens they become the decoy and Mason becomes the target. If Browny and Waitey are getting space to do damage and Mason is nailing his opportunities than he is doing his job well. It's never going to be a simple possession and goals thing with him.

Pretty strong words from brad. Got any kind of a link?

FYI I think being concerned about his consistency is totally fair.

It's what Brad stated about Mason when he was playing in the VFL. Take no notice of the rest of it.

Folks, please understand that Mason plays the high decoy role, and rate him accordingly. He's the option we use when Browny & Waitey are getting swarmed. When that happens they become the decoy and Mason becomes the target. If Browny and Waitey are getting space to do damage and Mason is nailing his opportunities than he is doing his job well. It's never going to be a simple possession and goals thing with him.

I know what you mean, a bit like the sight of Maj forces the opposition to kick the ball to Tarrant's opponent and Taz takes the intercept mark, Tarrant rightfully gets the credit, it never just about stats.

I know what you mean, a bit like the sight of Maj forces the opposition to kick the ball to Tarrant's opponent and Taz takes the intercept mark, Tarrant rightfully gets the credit, it never just about stats.

Your ignorance is glaring. Attempt to hijack another post of mine with this off topic bullshit and you go on ignore. Choice is yours.

It's what Brad stated about Mason when he was playing in the VFL. Take no notice of the rest of it.
You have to wonder if its just lack of time with the main group - You have your captain, brown and waite forward of you, how many guys are going to be looking at woods lead? Not many I dont think. They started looking for him at the end with the swans because he was the only guy kicking straight, but since waite has been back he pretty much has been crumbing for goals. So yeah, I just think a lot of the guys don't even take notice of him - time in the side will likely fix that. They track how often forwards are targeted, and I imagine that those stats will back that up.

Take no notice of the fact that I saw something in front of my eyes that backs up exactly what Brad has said, and saw fit to share it with a group of people interested in analysing players performance? You are seriously unbelievable. I'm a big fan of what Mase brings when he's on, and want to see him succeed, but he clearly has some deficiencies at the present time hence so much VFL football. What could you possibly object to about my post, except for the fact that you don't like my posting because I call out your bullshit in other threads?

The world isn't black and white; and its possible for most of us to criticise elements of someones game while still maintaining support for them, and respect for their positive contributions to the team. Please don't project your own rubbish onto the rest of us.

Take no notice of the fact that I saw something in front of my eyes that backs up exactly what Brad has said, and saw fit to share it with a group of people interested in analysing players performance? You are seriously unbelievable. I'm a big fan of what Mase brings when he's on, and want to see him succeed, but he clearly has some deficiencies at the present time hence so much VFL football. What could you possibly object to about my post, except for the fact that you don't like my posting because I call out your bullshit in other threads?

The world isn't black and white; and its possible for most of us to criticise elements of someones game while still maintaining support for them, and respect for their positive contributions to the team. Please don't project your own rubbish onto the rest of us.

I don't care what your eyes saw, your ocular abilities aren't in question here. You're a biased judge as was just proven by attempting to assign comments from the coach to Mason Wood that have no current relevance whatsoever.

You have to wonder if its just lack of time with the main group - You have your captain, brown and waite forward of you, how many guys are going to be looking at woods lead? Not many I dont think. They started looking for him at the end with the swans because he was the only guy kicking straight, but since waite has been back he pretty much has been crumbing for goals. So yeah, I just think a lot of the guys don't even take notice of him - time in the side will likely fix that. They track how often forwards are targeted, and I imagine that those stats will back that up.

They look for Mason if he gets off the hook, has a good match up, or is the best option.

His role is predominately tactical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back