Player Watch #32 Tomas Bugg - Departing MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

If the injuries keep going the way they are, we may need to apply to the AFL for special disposition to allow him to play, lest we fail to fill a full team. Perhaps they'll let us if before each game played while technically under suspension, Callum Mills gets to punch him in the jaw.
I'm approaching the injury issue at this point by thinking that this is the point of rock bottom and only way is up.

God I hope Lewis doesn't belt anyone this week though. Just thinking about it is terrifying.

The suspension is the start of Buggy's problems. He rates himself as a niggler and a cheeky chappy but can't keep his cool. Fatal combination and now every player knows his weakness. Every selector knows too that he is capable of losing it. He had better spend some time really building his skills (unlikely) because his noted strength has been exposed big time.

I would be a bit surprised to see him back as a regular, but that could be a good thing since it might indicate some more players available once we get past this injury rubbish.

This is his character test now, and I don't see it as the end for him myself.

Some people might not like it, but 6 weeks sends a strong message, and he got that extra week or two because his incident followed Houli's so closely. Next person will get 8 weeks I would think if they are that dumb to snot someone else like that.

he got that extra week or two because his incident followed Houli's so closely.

I don't understand why this is relevant. Just like Waleed Aly is completely irrelevant, so is the timing of the incident. Otherwise, I would like to see bans doubled over the Easter weekend because players shouldn't be infringing when people are celebrating the resurrection of the Christ.

"Unintentional high contact, low grade impact? 12 weeks! Praise Jesus!"

Serious question, these two got two weeks last year (Rance) and the year before (Conca), is Bugg's hit really 4 weeks worse?

The system is broken. Its trial by media and who is the "better bloke". The action needs to equal the punishment.

The system is broken. Its trial by media and who is the "better bloke". The action needs to equal the punishment.

I think most people would settle for something vaguely resembling consistency.

Agree with Cannon, just because a hit last week was in the media for four days should be completely irrelevant, the action is all that matters. Suspend players on what they actually did, not because its bad timing for AFL PR.

Even looking at it from a Melbourne point of view, Lewis got 3 weeks and Hogan 2 weeks for similar acts to Bugg's this year.

How can the tribunal & MRP even coexist if we are getting such huge discrepancies?

Agree with Cannon, just because a hit last week was in the media for four days should be completely irrelevant, the action is all that matters. Suspend players on what they actually did, not because its bad timing for AFL PR.

Even looking at it from a Melbourne point of view, Lewis got 3 weeks and Hogan 2 weeks for similar acts to Bugg's this year.

How can the tribunal & MRP even coexist if we are getting such huge discrepancies?
What's even weirder is I just spent the night watching your usual Foxtel discussion crap and all the commentary was around how the decision was the right one under the circumstances 'given the recent media'. WTF???? Not one person pulled themselves up and reflected on how daft that is. You don't feel less or more soundly punched based on the most recent weekend headlines. Also how can the MRP rant about its independence as they apparently did today, but at the same time come up with a six week penalty for what last week they regarded as worth two? I get the examining the nuance and all, but that's a pretty big chasm. Some kind of consistency in penalties would be good. Until that's sorted, I don't see how you can even attempt the more vexed question of proportionality

I feel Rance isn't in the same boat is Bugg's hit. However! i will still agree the mrp is a farce because Joel Selwood did exactly what rance did and got off this year

Serious question. If Bugg comes back and completely reels in his campaignery antics do people think he would:

A) become a better player, focussing more on the ball, or;

B) worse, by losing his edge and not doing the things he's gained his reputation for/playing differently on field?

Or C) is he a big enough campaigner to just keep being Bugg. God I hope it's C.

I think Bugg has dealt with this really well - he has come across as genuine, honest and remorseful. I read an article last night, it was pretty much Buggy's rap sheet - what was most apparent was that that he has been the target of other on many occasions, right from when he started at GWS as a teen - the article seemed to imply that it was Bugg's own fault that he was a target. In his first season - while still a teen Bugg had 3 incidents where he was hit in the head (or head butted), none of the players who did this received a fine or ban - seems to me that Bugg is a product of the system he has been playing in really. I hope he trains hard for the next six weeks, builds up trust with the team and then plays a ripper season next year, it would be awful if this was the end of his career.

I think Bugg has dealt with this really well - he has come across as genuine, honest and remorseful. I read an article last night, it was pretty much Buggy's rap sheet - what was most apparent was that that he has been the target of other on many occasions, right from when he started at GWS as a teen - the article seemed to imply that it was Bugg's own fault that he was a target. In his first season - while still a teen Bugg had 3 incidents where he was hit in the head (or head butted), none of the players who did this received a fine or ban - seems to me that Bugg is a product of the system he has been playing in really. I hope he trains hard for the next six weeks, builds up trust with the team and then plays a ripper season next year, it would be awful if this was the end of his career.
I thought he spoke well yesterday.

I thought he spoke well yesterday.
So did I. Campaigner act, and has admitted that and seems genuinely remorseful. Fronted up straight after the game to face the music. Didn't have much choice tbh, but he's done all the right things since the punch. The problem for him though, is that we have a handful of players who can play his role, and if they take their chance while he's out, then Bugg is back at Casey. I personally like him in the team. He's a pest, and every great team has one. He is also a very handy tagger and his negating roles on creative defenders will be missed tbh..

Serious question, these two got two weeks last year (Rance) and the year before (Conca), is Bugg's hit really 4 weeks worse?

Because they linked Buggs action with the one punch campaign then pushed the 'he could have killed him' agenda. The Geelong bloke who elbowed hodge on the point of the chin to start the season got 2 weeks because Hodge got back on his feet. I can guarantee Bugg didn't hit mills 3 times harder or more dangerously than a flying elbow to the chin. But once the media started the one punch can kill crap they were always going to punish the image not the action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel Rance isn't in the same boat is Bugg's hit. However! i will still agree the mrp is a farce because Joel Selwood did exactly what rance did and got off this year
The thing about Rance's hit was that a local footballer was killed by a cowards punch the week before so they didn't want to appear to condone hits from behind.

Because they linked Buggs action with the one punch campaign then pushed the 'he could have killed him' agenda. The Geelong bloke who elbowed hodge on the point of the chin to start the season got 2 weeks because Hodge got back on his feet. I can guarantee Bugg didn't hit mills 3 times harder or more dangerously than a flying elbow to the chin. But once the media started the one punch can kill crap they were always going to punish the image not the action

I dont think the suspension was too far out of line (i probably would have gone four or five). My issue is you cant have guys elbowing people in the back of the head and say its worth four weeks less with a straight face. Intentionally elbowing someone when they arent looking is just as bad of a look as a sucker punch to the gob IMO.

Serious question. If Bugg comes back and completely reels in his campaignery antics do people think he would:

A) become a better player, focussing more on the ball, or;

B) worse, by losing his edge and not doing the things he's gained his reputation for/playing differently on field?

Or C) is he a big enough campaigner to just keep being Bugg. God I hope it's C.

Its a good point. Without his "edge" im not sure he is of any great use to be honest. Of course i hope im wrong but getting inside people's heads is definitely one of his strengths, perhaps his greatest strength.

What these two have in common, and in my opinion it makes it worse regardless of outcome, is that they are both true cowards punches to an unsuspecting opponent to the back of the head.

The trial by media is a joke. I'm fine with Bugg getting 6 weeks, but I want to see the same whacks to the other incidents.

Im' going to say it, because apparently nobody else will (other than the trolls no Bay 13)....... Houli got 2 weeks because the AFL didn't want to be seen punishing an openly Muslim player when they are trying to be as open and inclusive as possible. His lawyer was a genius to exploit this fear and get the best outcome for his client. The fact it happened is a disgrace, and to me highlights the complete inability of the afl, the media and wider society to have frank, respectful discussions about complex and emotional issues.

Im' going to say it, because apparently nobody else will (other than the trolls no Bay 13)....... Houli got 2 weeks because the AFL didn't want to be seen punishing an openly Muslim player when they are trying to be as open and inclusive as possible. His lawyer was a genius to exploit this fear and get the best outcome for his client. The fact it happened is a disgrace, and to me highlights the complete inability of the afl, the media and wider society to have frank, respectful discussions about complex and emotional issues.

Possibly on the recommendation of this level-headed individual.

Oh god.

Makes you wonder though. Islam generates all this social tension due to perceived danger, yet the Catholic church is being shown to have institutionalized kiddy fiddling.... not an eyelid batted.

The devil you know i guess...

Was being tongue in cheek. I find this idea of "Diversity Officers" and other meaningless positions like it quite ridiculous, and it's mildly humorous that this dope has put his cushy AFL job in serious jeopardy by running around clocking people.

Was being tongue in cheek. I find this idea of "Diversity Officers" and other meaningless positions like it quite ridiculous, and it's mildly humorous that this dope has put his cushy AFL job in serious jeopardy by running around clocking people.

What does a diversity officer do? Does one knock on the door of minority ethnic and religious groups like a Jehovahs witness preaching love of AFL?
Do they make sure the AFL players pick up a quota of different ethnic ladies at the bar each weekend?

Laffs at thinking the tribunal wouldn't be biased. People get weighted more for their perception than the actual act. Toby Greene getting 2 weeks earlier in the year was stiff, especially when the umpire said that they had been trying to get him rubbed out for weeks right to his face. Both Bugg and Greene cop a campaigner tax while Bachar got a reduction for good bloke-ism. Maybe if Buggy was skilled in more than s**t stirring or a good bloke player he'd be looking at 3-5.

The thing about Rance's hit was that a local footballer was killed by a cowards punch the week before so they didn't want to appear to condone hits from behind.
True, but potential brownlow medalists always seem to get off

Toby Greene getting 2 weeks earlier in the year was stiff, especially when the umpire said that they had been trying to get him rubbed out for weeks right to his face.
There is a pretty big difference between watching him closely given his recent spate of undisciplined acts, and going out of their way to report him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back