Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t really like the De Goey comparisons.

De Goey was a very accomplished mid at underage level, he became that permanent forward at AFL level that they are comparing a George to.

De Goey has played his best football since at AFL level out of the middle.

I think Heeney or even Zurhaar himself is a better comparison.
Twomey has consistently compared him to Petracca when Petracca played forward.

George was always tipped to spend more time in the midfield this year (as Petracca did) until the knee.

Personally, I'm very happy for him to play forward.

As someone who doesn't watch the youngsters I had NFI who 'the Boy' is. It did concern me he was already 87kg's as that can often mean men against boys. But it seems the basics of his game is strong marking and leap. Which of course doesn't really lend itself to being a big bodied type.

A shame he's out for the year, we seem to love recruiting footballers via the Somme, el Chompo, Perez and now the boy. Probably all are sliders due to their injury concerns.

An interesting strategy and I don't mind it.

There's a bit of Todd Goldstein (royalties to Hearts to hearts) to this selection. While I was in the "best available" camp for pick #23, must admit I had a very quick look at Brayden's profile/footage predraft and dismissed him as surplus to needs. Another medium sized half-forward?

Of course once we draft them it prompts a closer look. Wow some high level talent there! Some real pizzazz to this kid, love this punt.

And when you throw in Thomas, Stephenson, Ford, Curtis Taylor and remember the old Clarko-Hawks forward lines, it starts to mark sense.

The Hawks used foot skills further up field and then the Gunston and Bruest types were still threats from marks as well even post Buddy.

Gotta remember Paul Curtis outmarked Vlastuin a couple of times, so we have blokes who will be a danger in the air and on the deck.

Every chance those 3 highlighted don't have long careers at North. We already need to find space for Phillips, Wardlaw & Sheezel.
I still think our list requires major works for at least the next 12 months. Then we'll get a better idea of how we're travelling.

George is a permanent forward. How many small/medium forwards do we expect to make it. Curtis and Zurhaar? The rest are all midfield/forward or would like to spend time up the ground.

Most teams only have 1 or 2 at most players who started forward but are regularly involved in wing/midfield rotations. You need at least 5 dedicated forwards. Enough of this Nobles 'flexibility'

George is a permanent forward. How many small/medium forwards do we expect to make it. Curtis and Zurhaar? The rest are all midfield/forward or would like to spend time up the ground.

Most teams only have 1 or 2 at most players who started forward but are regularly involved in wing/midfield rotations. You need at least 5 dedicated forwards. Enough of this Nobles 'flexibility'
Nobes philosophy has merit, these kids should be footballers first and be able to play wherever and whenever they’re needed.

Difference is we now have Clarko, Ratts, Viney, Blakey and Boomer teaching them. These kids now have the best chance at becoming footballers.

respectfully disagree, cap on interchange rotations means need players who can rotate through midfield and rest forward. That eased a little with the tactical sub. But also helps to build a midfield that consistently hits the scoreboard.

Every chance those 3 highlighted don't have long careers at North. We already need to find space for Phillips, Wardlaw & Sheezel.
I still think our list requires major works for at least the next 12 months. Then we'll get a better idea of how we're travelling.
Hard disagree on Stepho and Taylor, but Ford is up against it now

Isn’t it funny how different people see football, out of the three, I think Fordy will make it, purely by the fact he’ll end up one of Clarkos favourites. Skilful, hard, fast and dedicated. Reminds me of Jordan Lewis.

but I agree, all three will have to reinvent themselves to be a regular.

respectfully disagree, cap on interchange rotations means need players who can rotate through midfield and rest forward. That eased a little with the tactical sub. But also helps to build a midfield that consistently hits the scoreboard.
Ideally one of your midfielders averages around a goal a game whilst the rest hover around that one goal every two games mark. I think Tarryn Thomas and/or Harry Sheezel are those regularly scoreboard hitting midfielders who can rotate forward.

My ideal forward line is this:
Sheezel Comben Curtis
Zurhaar Larkey George

This alongside a small list of names to be the 7th forward. CCJ, Ford, Taylor, etc.

I do completley understand your point and it doesn't help we are an unfit team.

And that is more than ok, I watched the finals series and pondered how that trio or those two would go. Along with about 8/9 others.

Isn’t it funny how different people see football, out of the three, I think Fordy will make it, purely by the fact he’ll end up one of Clarkos favourites. Skilful, hard, fast and dedicated. Reminds me of Jordan Lewis.

but I agree, all three will have to reinvent themselves to be a regular.

I could see Ford on an HBF. Or I would like to see it.

Every chance those 3 highlighted don't have long careers at North

Bang on TAOist.

The blokes in contention for small/medium half-forward:

Stephenson - should be a lock but .. 5th season, top 10 draft talent, sporadic excellent AFL output yet .. barely registers in the Syd Barker. Issues. TBC

Ford - love this kid but not much AFL opportunity thus far, might have to go to HB to find his way in if he is to make it

Taylor - admire his graft but as discussed not sure about long term / best position

Curtis - lock. Plus probably most adept opportunist (Harry might change that) so has a point of difference

George - TBC but if he produces to the level of U18 highlights, would be a lock

Sheezel - TBC but very likely lock

Zurhaar - lock

Harvey - later draft pick, relatively unknown quantity for his AFL prospects regardless of pedigree. TBC

So in the selection committee of KC, only Curtis and Zurhaar are inked in for 2024+. Everyone else is unproven or has queries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have that much young talent we still need to look at or are on the cusp of selection i’m actually almost relieved we have a genuine reason to really take our time with Boy George, also gives someone like Eddie Ford a real solid chance to make a place in the 23 his.

That’s a great point with Ford. He may not be as talented as Sheezel, George, and Curtis, but he has a 1-2 year headstart on them all with his development. Hopefully he is able to capitalise on it and make a spot in our best 22 his own.

This needs to be his year, as once you factor in Zurhaar, Stephenson, and Thomas, we’re building one of the most dangerous collections of medium forwards in the entire league. You could even throw Curtis Taylor into that group.

Bang on TAOist.

The blokes in contention for small/medium half-forward:

Stephenson - should be a lock but .. 5th season, top 10 draft talent, sporadic excellent AFL output yet .. barely registers in the Syd Barker. Issues. TBC

Ford - love this kid but not much AFL opportunity thus far, might have to go to HB to find his way in if he is to make it

Taylor - admire his graft but as discussed not sure about long term / best position

Curtis - lock. Plus probably most adept opportunist (Harry might change that) so has a point of difference

George - TBC but if he produces to the level of U18 highlights, would be a lock

Sheezel - TBC but very likely lock

Zurhaar - lock

Harvey - later draft pick, relatively unknown quantity for his AFL prospects regardless of pedigree. TBC

So in the selection committee of KC, only Curtis and Zurhaar are inked in for 2024+. Everyone else is unproven or has queries.
New coach they’re all unknown, for all we know we could see Sheezle play midfield and have a similar output to Powell in his first year.
Warlord might be playing off the hbf first few years, ease him into afl.
Stephenson might move back forward and become that player he was in the first year.
we might even see P.Curtis move into that the inside midfield position, kids as strong as an ox.

Exciting times, because we’ll have 100% buy in.

Last edited:
Understand but the point is arguable, as some of the players I listed could end up at HBF or wing.

What our list does point out its Mahony, Spicer and Lazzaro probably don't have long careers at North and possibly full stop.

A reconstructed ACL has a gestation period of roughly 9 months but can be anywhere from 8-12 months. He went down in August so he could be playing VFL in June.
It was the last weekend of Aug so he would have had the op sometime in Sept. Certainly no point rushing him but hopefully he'll be building up is straight line running from March. If he can get a game or 2 in the VFL at the end of year would be great, so I wouldnt be putting him on the LTI.

Any chance someone can post this article (or unlock it). Appears blocked to me without a subscription.
Brayden George's dream of becoming an AFL footballer became a reality on Tuesday night.

The Murray Bushrangers graduate was drafted to North Melbourne with pick 26 on the second night of the national draft.
George, 18, is recovering from a knee reconstruction after suffering ACL damage in the Bushies' NAB League final against Sandringham Dragons on August 27.
But although he's unlikely to play in 2023, the Kangaroos have put their faith in a powerful player who's being compared to Jordan De Goey and Christian Petracca.
Raised on a dairy farm in Girgarre, west of Shepparton, George left home to pursue his footballing ambitions, joining Alex Rance's Academy in Wangaratta and quickly feeling the benefit on and off the field.
r0_0_3361_2241_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Brayden George in action for the Murray Bushrangers. Picture by Mark Jesser

He made his senior Ovens and Murray debut for Wangaratta Rovers in 2021, spending two seasons with the Bushies albeit this year being cut short by injuries.
George missed three months with a meniscus tear but showed enough across the campaign to catch the eye of AFL recruiters.
He kicked 19 goals in eight games, including six against Greater Western Victoria Rebels and five against Gippsland Power.
"Brayden's worked as hard and as diligently as any kid we've had come through the program," Murray Bushrangers coach Mark Brown said.
"He moved to Wangaratta to take up a place at the Rance Academy at 16, he's dedicated the last two years of his life to becoming an elite footballer and he's now got that opportunity.
"With Alastair Clarkson landing at North Melbourne, he's as well-credentialed as any coach in the AFL so that in itself is a really good fit for him. I think Brayden will thrive under him."
Later in the evening, George's Bushies team-mate Caleb Mitchell was picked up by the Sydney Swans.

Re the knee, really hope we don't rush him. I'm happy for us to take the approach GC did with Hollands, just absolutely no expectations around an early return. One concern I do have is around who did the surgery - If any question around that, get in now and ensure it's 100% done to the level we would expect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back