Past #35: Declan Watson - won't be offered a new contract - Thanks Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Live draft bidding was North Melbourne's version of buying off the plan.

It's like a couple of the recruiting team went on a 3 day "Get rich from draft bidding" conference in Seminyak and came back convinced there was untold draft wealth sitting waiting to be plucked for free in all other academies and father-son picks.

Then the one ****ing time they should bid on a Queenslander, they don't and Harris Andrews trots off to Brisbane for pick #61. Brilliant.

I will stand corrected, but we did bid on Andrews, didn't we?

Edit: doesn't look like we did. Unsure who I'm confusing him with. Maybe Steele.

I can begin to understand why Joyce’s and McMahons don’t have jobs anymore.
It’s not the things you get right it’s the colossal fu** ups that kept occurring
But McMahons wasn’t in charge until the 2017 draft. Announced oct ‘16 that he was coming over. LDU/Walker/Xerri was his first real draft.

And is he confirmed out anyway?

But McMahons wasn’t in charge until the 2017 draft. Announced oct ‘16 that he was coming over. LDU/Walker/Xerri was his first real draft.

He was definitely part of the 2016 draft contingent albeit a late inclusion - was in the Simpkin pre-draft discussion video.

I like Papley, Jones and to a lesser extent martin.
id expect they would cost a high draft pick for papley and a 30-40 pick for each of the others the others.
Apart from those three everyone else bandied about seems a bit meh.
Thats a bit of a shame as i dont think this years draft crop is much chop.
Would have been a good year to trade for players.

I think I recall him being around but the whispers are strong that he’s going.

So Rhys Harwood is our Queensland Talent scout.

This is from 2017:

There are two new faces in charge of North's division this year, with long-time Geelong recruiter Michael McMahon taking on the list manager's position and Mark Finnigan elevated to recruiting manager. North have elected to have additional full-time staff ahead of expanding their network of part-timers (they have eight in part-time positions around the country, including a manager in Western Australia). Each of the club's recruiters look after particular areas. Ben Birthisel follows the South Australian and Northern Territory talent, Rhys Harwood keeps across the players coming through in Queensland, New South Wales and Tasmania, and Finnigan oversees the Victorian region. Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks, and Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players. Former Dees scouting boss Barry Prendergast is in a talent ID role for the club's Next Generation Academy, which could produce a talented pick next year in Tarryn Thomas. Former list manager Cameron Joyce, who has moved into the football manager's seat at Arden Street, remains on the club's list management committee.
So Rhys Harwood covers Tasmania, NSW and Queensland and all he has to show for it is 4 flops from QLD?

So much wrong with this from a football department, resources and soft cap perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was it ever reported that he was battling chronic fatigue. No wonder he couldn’t get a run at it this year.
No it wasn't. However he missed weeks without an explanation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back