Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be huge if he could turn into a Brad Hill style wingman for us. Williams is probably even more explosive.

Blistering line breaking pace has never been more valuable than it is in the league atm.

This guy is super quick. Probably one of the fastest I've seen. Once he gets going, it's "see you later" type stuff. Looks to be adding to his bag of tricks as well. A lot to like, hope he gets his chance soon.

Would be huge if he could turn into a Brad Hill style wingman for us. Williams is probably even more explosive.

Blistering line breaking pace has never been more valuable than it is in the league atm.
Spot on.

First time I've seen footage of Williams and he has pleasantly surprised me. I assumed he was the outside type who lacks the inside game but he is. Seems really confident and polished on the outside.

Sneaky chance for a late call up ?

u mean this week? No chance
if you mean late in the year, if he continues the way hes goung, i have no doubt.

The interesting one is that our defence looks very tall alongside their forward line of smalls and fasts. Brad rarely makes changes based on the opposition teams but if there was to be a change, surely Willo would be a fair chance (unless it is Cunners or Goldy who catch a cold). Going to be interesting to see who the match day emergency is.

This guy is super quick. Probably one of the fastest I've seen. Once he gets going, it's "see you later" type stuff. Looks to be adding to his bag of tricks as well. A lot to like, hope he gets his chance soon.
Imagine him getting on the end of a couple of Cunnington 20m handballs. Would be deadly.

Have you seen him a bit?

Is he a genuinely good footballer, not an athlete who can kick a bit like Ats?

Averaging 15.5 touches a game across 6 games this year.

So far this year he has two games where he has cracked 20 touches. In his last game he has 22 disposals, 9 handball receives and most importantly 6 uncontested marks (double his previous best), which means he is getting out into space to receive. This opens the game up, especially considering his pace.

Still needs a lot of weight but isn't afraid to go when its his turn and is capable enough inside.

This 'promotion' to the emgs list is very much an encouragement reward for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond - traded pick 2 to Adelaide which they used to get Carey which got us Wells which got us Josh

This is the only flaw as we are talking Richmond.

If Richmond had of kept pick 2, they would have either picked Wells and turned him into a Richard Tambling before Tambling was even drafted and when Tambling was drafted by Richmond he would have been known as Wells mark II.

Or Richmond would have picked some guy like Tim Walsh at 2 who was actually pick 4.

As it was, they had pick 12 used on Jay Schulz who had to leave (in a stellar trade netting Mitchell Farmer) to become a half way decent footballer much like Andrew Krakouer.

If Boomer is right and this guy becomes a key part of our future, we can use it for lols against:
Gold Coast - "developed" him then lost him.
Collingwood - gave an old guy a long contract that got us the pick in compensation that got us Josh
Carlton - caught cheating so couldn't get Wells who got us Josh
Adelaide - Gave us pick 2 for an ageing Carey which got us Wells which got us Josh
Richmond - traded pick 2 to Adelaide which they used to get Carey which got us Wells which got us Josh
St Kilda - used pick 1 on a seagull instead of wells. They'd have got 4 extra years of service plus Josh and never had to have Goddard wear their jumper.
Sydney - gave us Duck for free. Therefore Wells for free. Therefore Josh for free. I feel like in 50 years my great grandkids are still going to be seeing the benefits of that one.

Let's hope this works out it's going to be lots of fun :thumbsu:

Has Carey claimed credit for Josh yet, like he did with Wells?

Have you seen him a bit?

Is he a genuinely good footballer, not an athlete who can kick a bit like Ats?

Yes, have watched him live in some VFL games, will get another look tomorrow. He really can move. I had originally thought he was an athlete who needed to learn to "footy", but now I think he's both. Haven't seen enough yet to rate his disposal one way or another. Doesn't mean it's bad or good, just haven't noticed any particular examples.

Like I said, I will see him tomorrow and watch him a bit more closely.

Yes, have watched him live in some VFL games, will get another look tomorrow. He really can move. I had originally thought he was an athlete who needed to learn to "footy", but now I think he's both. Haven't seen enough yet to rate his disposal one way or another. Doesn't mean it's bad or good, just haven't noticed any particular examples.

Like I said, I will see him tomorrow and watch him a bit more closely.

Cheers. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

This is the only flaw as we are talking Richmond.

If Richmond had of kept pick 2, they would have either picked Wells and turned him into a Richard Tambling before Tambling was even drafted and when Tambling was drafted by Richmond he would have been known as Wells mark II.

Or Richmond would have picked some guy like Tim Walsh at 2 who was actually pick 4.

As it was, they had pick 12 used on Jay Schulz who had to leave (in a stellar trade netting Mitchell Farmer) to become a half way decent footballer much like Andrew Krakouer.
Off topic - Jay Schulz was at my son's training last night (he and Mark Jamar have some kind of player development business) and was very nice with the kids.

Last edited:
Agree with that. Jayden Hunt is another that comes to mind.
Yep, none of this bullshit 15m sideways stuff to stagnant players; run with it and drill it 50m or 60m to a player's advantage (for example: william's kick to himmelberg? against the toasters last week). Dynamic play like that is far more damaging and less risky than chipping it around or smacking handballs at teammates from 1m away.

Averaging 15.5 touches a game across 6 games this year.

So far this year he has two games where he has cracked 20 touches. In his last game he has 22 disposals, 9 handball receives and most importantly 6 uncontested marks (double his previous best), which means he is getting out into space to receive. This opens the game up, especially considering his pace.

Still needs a lot of weight but isn't afraid to go when its his turn and is capable enough inside.

This 'promotion' to the emgs list is very much an encouragement reward for him.

There's two things you can pretty much garauntee.

1) When he cracks it for 20 touches in the VFL, half this board will ejaculate and want him promoted at the expense of any one of a dozen senior players.

2) If he gets promoted, Brad will have him tagging for 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back