Past Elijah Taylor - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

Based on the interview on the Swans site, I'm not even sure Oprah could get more than a five-word answer out of this kid!
Bless. Does all his talking on the field.
Always interesting going back and watching some of our more established stars in their early interviews.

Bless. Does all his talking on the field.
Always interesting going back and watching some of our more established stars in their early interviews.
Not exactly jumping with enthusiasm to be at the Swans. I hope he doesn't get too homesick. It's a long way to WA from Sydney.

"What was it like to be picked up by Buddy ?" "Yeah, a bit surreal"

The Swans media training needs to teach newbies other adjectives than "surreal", which has almost become the goto adjective for young Aussies, a bit like Americans with their "awesome". Rather than "surreal" why not use "bizarre", "weird", "dreamlike" "crazy, "funky" "spaced-out", "peculiar" or just plain "strange" ?.

I can imagine Elijah Taylor at the end of his career with many years of Swans media coaching......

"What was it like to be dropped on the eve of a Grand Final ?" "Yeah, a bit Kafkaesque"

Elijah is not one of your pte schl boy types. He is a pure footy player. His confidence in the media will develop over time. While I am very happy with the youngsters we have picked up, I was delighted when we called this kid out. He has the tool kit to be a cult player.

Elijah is not one of your pte schl boy types. He is a pure footy player. His confidence in the media will develop over time. While I am very happy with the youngsters we have picked up, I was delighted when we called this kid out. He has the tool kit to be a cult player.

I really like our picks this year, hope we can develop them into good players!

Sydney’s newest recruits were welcomed to the Swans family this week – and now we can reveal what numbers they’ll be wearing in season 2020.

Dylan Stephens, who was selected with pick five in the AFL draft, will don the number three jumper worn by 2012 premiership co-captain Jarrad McVeigh – who was also a number five draft selection.

Elijah Taylor, a speedster from Western Australia and proud Noongar man, will wear the number 37 guernsey made famous by Bloods Legend Adam Goodes.

It's just a number, it has had good players and s**t players in it just like all the other numbers

Agree

The club didn’t treat it as just a number though

Hold the number to give it to a kid just because he is indigenous
Agree

The club didn’t treat it as just a number though
It's a lot of pressure for the kid, but in the context of Goodes, I get the decision. Wouldn't feel right to have the number go to a kid that could probably never even comprehend the issues Goodesy had to face. Let's hope Elijah can be even half the ambassador for the game that Goodes was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a number romantic (they do matter in footy dammit!) I have to say I am a fan of Taylor wearing the #37 for a few reasons:

1. I have no doubt this went forward with some sort of involvement from the great man himself. We hold it off for multiple years, and only bring it back out when an indigenous player is drafted to us? This has Goodes' fingerprints all over it. I doubt he had the audacity to demand his number only go to an indigenous player, but it was probably a club initiative that Goodes was in support of, and so when the opportunity was presented with our drafting of Taylor, I suspect Goodes was all for it. If he's OK with it, I'm OK with it.

2. It's more than just a coveted number, unlike say 14. Yeah Skilton and Kelly were champs and beloved figures at our club, but their abilities and their numbers didn't transcend the sport. Goodes is revered not just for his ability but also his courage and activism for indigenous people. It's just as important that an indigenous player wear the 37 as it is for a quality player wear the 37. That number and what Goodes stood and still stands for probably means more to an indigenous kid like Taylor than it does for the ordinary Swans fan who just loved watching the legend play.

Of any of our draftees, Taylor probably faces the biggest cultural challenge to make it at AFL level. He is shy, introverted, making the biggest social transition of any of the other guys we have brought in this season, or for quite a few seasons for that matter. I think the club is very much aware of this and are going to be making a special effort to make him feel secure and valued. We got Buddy to pick him up from the airport. We have given him Goodes' old number. I think the club is doing all the right things here to give Taylor the best chance of settling in quickly and being successful for us.

Do eh and Warner know each other well? And isn’t Reynolds from Wa, perhaps they all know each other through the state teams.

Have to admit I don’t get romantic nor nostalgic notions about numbers on the back of shirts. What’s done is done if it is and you move on. Retain memories but move on. What will be will be whatever number is worn and the success or failure will not be any reflection on previous wearers in this case 37 and Goodes. The business of ‘retiring’ shirt numbers is fanciful. By all means revere the player because of his deeds on and occasionally off the field but not a number. His deeds are worth revering.

When Adam first started he was a shy lad, especially in front of a camera. I expect he is still an introverted retiring person but one who dint of training and will became a leading Indigenous spokesperson. Mickey O played a key role in Adam's development.

Who knows how young Elijah goes. However he is going to have a heap of support around him including from Buddy and Mickey. Talent wise he has the biggest box of tricks of any player we have drafted in a long time.

The CBA makes reference to "the return economy flights allocated to parent/family travel in section 19.2 of the TPP Administration Manual" and while i can't find that document itself online, it strongly suggests family travel is included as part of Total Player Payments for players and thus not in the soft cap.
Thanks Arwib. If that's the case that's yet another disadvantage for the northern clubs.

When Adam first started he was a shy lad, especially in front of a camera. I expect he is still an introverted retiring person but one who dint of training and will became a leading Indigenous spokesperson. Mickey O played a key role in Adam's development.

Who knows how young Elijah goes. However he is going to have a heap of support around him including from Buddy and Mickey. Talent wise he has the biggest box of tricks of any player we have drafted in a long time.

Here is Adam as a 17 year old:

He looked a fair bit more comfortable than Elijah did, but still the difference between him then and by the end of his career is clear to see.

But as hard is it is to look at the footage of Taylor and not be reminded of a young O'Loughlin, pigeonholing him with preconcieved notions isn't fair or helpful. He isn't Mick, he isn't Adam. I'm sure the club isn't putting that kind of expectation on him, no matter what people read into him getting the 37 jumper.

Last edited:
Here is Adam as a 17 year old:

He looked a fair bit more comfortable than Elijah did, but still the difference between him then and by the end of his career is clear to see.

As hard is it is to look at the footage of Taylor and not be reminded of a young O'Loughlin, pigeonholing him with preconcieved notions isn't fair or helpful. He isn't Mick, he isn't Adam. I'll back the club in to get the best out of him.

I remember watching Goodes in that grand final day game. He had that terrible undercut haircut that was so popular at the time.

I remember watching Goodes in that grand final day game. He had that terrible undercut haircut that was so popular at the time.

I watched that game too and was impressed at the skinny Adam. I remember being delighted when we drafted him. I agree about keeping expectations low re our new recruit.

I set up the video to play from the interview, but you can rewind to check out the last quarter of the game. He kicked 6 goals that day... recruiters probably should have been paying more attention to it, pretty amazing we got him with pick 43.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back