Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - T3 for HOs, T11 for clearances, T4 for tackles AFL-wide after 13 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

His taps were a lot more softer and shallower than usual and it seemed to work for us.
Has never lacked the brute approach. With each game, he will learn more finesse, build his craft and our mids will start understanding his tap work better. Hasn't even played 50 games yet. Far from the finished product but good upside.

Yeah gotta give him credit, he's been far better than I thought. I still worry about the footy IQ and ruck/tap craft but he's also never played a full year in the role as the no. 1 so some time needs to be given for him to develop.
I'd like to see him block a bit more and let the mids grab possession as well as sticking those marks but baby steps.

Continues to build. If he can continue to develop from this base over the next 2-3 years someone will have to drag the role from his hands. Could be a good win because a more mobile ruck sized option forward could be the perfect foil for Larkey if we can put a small next to them.
This is where CCJ's injury has killed us, regardless of what anyone thinks of CCJ it's clear what Clarko's game plan is and how much this has affected it this season.

Mmm sweet sweet invisible internet affirmation

Homer Drool GIF
Wipe your mouth.

This is where CCJ's injury has killed us, regardless of what anyone thinks of CCJ it's clear what Clarko's game plan is and how much this has affected it this season.
Yeah. I mean I don't rate CCJ at all to be honest, but sure. I think he's a placeholder at best.

Yeah gotta give him credit, he's been far better than I thought. I still worry about the footy IQ and ruck/tap craft but he's also never played a full year in the role as the no. 1 so some time needs to be given for him to develop.
I'd like to see him block a bit more and let the mids grab possession as well as sticking those marks but baby steps.
His tap is improving, agree with the last paragraph wholeheartedly.

Well, benchwarmers are important role player who could come in handy sometimes.

Now it's very risky if xerri goes down longterm.
As in risky having CCJ as next in line? Agree.
Risky having your main ruckman go down longterm, obviously, same as any key player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xerri has been the big success story this season for us. I know he still has his detractors, but I think they've been spoiled by having one of the best rucks of the past 20 years in their team. Xerri plays differently and clearly isn't the elite tap ruckman that Goldy is, but he's a lot tougher.

The next steps are to get him to start plucking some more marks and blocking the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back