Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Granted I didn’t see anything but highlights and Merlin’s match report, but this is a real head scratcher.

More so because I did see Campbell last week, and if im honest, too many times previously.

Noble seemed almost surprised by the positive impact of a second ruckman last week, but surely Xerri is at least as capable as Campbell. If X could play four qrts last week, and impact the game in the last, surely he’s got enough fitness to play.
Big difference between a vfl scratch match and the big boys. He will come in when he is ready

Let him develop, let him get comfort being the no.1 ruck then he could join the team in goldstein's final years to be the backup and eventually take over. Goldstein will age and decline in fitness, maybe not right now but soon, perfect time xerri to take over the rein. Campbell is not someone who could easily ditch. If anything, if goldstein goes down, he will form a powerful tandem with Xerri.

Can not believe Campbell retained his spot over Xerri
Genuinely think this is more of a mature head tactic. Too many young and inexperienced players on the field and they could get overwhelmed by facing the old heads at Geelong at Geelong. We need to fashion some semblance of maturity out of whatever we can at this point. I think he'll come in next week to go up against a younger freo side.

It'll only be an issue if it becomes an enduring thing.

Giving Tom who straightened us up last week another crack isn't really a problem.

If in a few weeks X can't get in and Campbell can't get out then we have an issue.

Noble through action showing the playing group play your role and you get a crack.

I have no doubt X will be in the side sooner rather than later but I reckon it's splitting hairs about him missing this week.

I think its as simple as Campbell is filling a structural role that allows Goldy forward and Larkey to stay forward.

Campbell is very well liked and played the role well enough although needs to clunk a few more and kick a goal or two.

Xerri has only played VFL practice matches, needs some continuity and fitness before being thrown in.

Proper match this week, if he can play well he may force his way in.

Campbell has been in good form has earnt him a spot to lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y'know....................I sit back..................and watch the North AFL team...........................and then I think to myself........................HOW CAN THIS BLOKE BE DEEMED NOT FIT ENOUGH TO PLAY AFL! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Y'know....................I sit back..................and watch the North AFL team...........................and then I think to myself........................HOW CAN THIS BLOKE BE DEEMED NOT FIT ENOUGH TO PLAY AFL! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I’ve watched the last two games of VFL and he has had no worries running out games. Doesn’t make sense to me why he isn’t playing

North Melbourne VFL coach Leigh Adams says the mentality with which Xerri approaches his football meant it was a matter of time before he produced such a quality performance.

“He (Xerri) was huge yesterday. I think he played 100 per cent game time, and about 95 per cent of that was in the ruck against two quality players,” Adams told North Media.

“It’s definitely the best game I’ve seen him play and his effort to just keep fighting and fighting was unbelievable.

“I think he felt he had the opportunity to nudge the opposition ruck under the ball a little bit, so when he had the chance to grab it out of the contest he did. It wasn’t anything we went into the game telling him to do, but it worked and he was super impressive today.”

Tristan Xerri - 26 disposals, 21 hitouts, 10 clearances

He has to play soon, there really isn't an argument anymore as to why you shouldn't, other than the fact that Tommy Campbell's playing some good footy and I don't think anyone would wanna see him dropped right now with the form he's in.

It's a bit of an embarrassment of riches for us for once.

As we are very well known as innovators, maybe it's time for our own version of the "3 headed monster" (Goldy/Campbell/Xerri) in the Ruck/Forward slot ;)
Definitely adds a more physical presence to a young team, less midfield rotations but no harm in trying to play all 3. Larkey could be used up the ground which may get him more involved and would be handy as a bail out kick option.

He has to play soon, there really isn't an argument anymore as to why you shouldn't, other than the fact that Tommy Campbell's playing some good footy and I don't think anyone would wanna see him dropped right now with the form he's in.

It's a bit of an embarrassment of riches for us for once.
Embarrassment of riches. LOL.

If he comes in as a forward or chop out ruck who the hell is going to play ruck In the VFL? Haha we have no one

Would love for him to come in as a forward but Tom would have to make way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back