Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not post a lot but as you can see from my past posts i used to work for many years with a number of AFL teams recruiting departments - and still love to watch how many of the boys i have followed have transitioned in to AFL system.

So have read with interest many posts in NM threads regarding 2019 draftees and i just feel someone needs to temper the expectations a little for Flynn.

I urge all Roos fans to not put too much pressure on him - he is a very speculative pic and you need to let him develop. Flynn has been injury prone since U16 level and has hardly played any football over nearly 4 years. As a 17 year old he showed promise for Pioneers as a very outside running transition winger/HBF but had a tendency to miss targets and get himself in to trouble. The games he played were predominantly in period where best players were at Nationals and APS footy so its important to realise that he has had no exposure to any football at a high level and you will need to be very patient.

That said he is a wonderful mover with lovely skills on both sides of his body. But he didn't play basically all of U16 year - then missed all of U18 year and this year - and i have heard he partially re-teared his ACL at Arden st earlier this year when participating in his very first contact drill. Also have heard that he was going to play in scratch match a couple of weeks ago but hurt his quad and has been held back again...

So all i am saying his ease off on expectations here on Flynn - he has a long way to go and let him develop slowly because his is not going to come in and make an immediate impact...

I do not post a lot but as you can see from my past posts i used to work for many years with a number of AFL teams recruiting departments - and still love to watch how many of the boys i have followed have transitioned in to AFL system.

So have read with interest many posts in NM threads regarding 2019 draftees and i just feel someone needs to temper the expectations a little for Flynn.

I urge all Roos fans to not put too much pressure on him - he is a very speculative pic and you need to let him develop. Flynn has been injury prone since U16 level and has hardly played any football over nearly 4 years. As a 17 year old he showed promise for Pioneers as a very outside running transition winger/HBF but had a tendency to miss targets and get himself in to trouble. The games he played were predominantly in period where best players were at Nationals and APS footy so its important to realise that he has had no exposure to any football at a high level and you will need to be very patient.

That said he is a wonderful mover with lovely skills on both sides of his body. But he didn't play basically all of U16 year - then missed all of U18 year and this year - and i have heard he partially re-teared his ACL at Arden st earlier this year when participating in his very first contact drill. Also have heard that he was going to play in scratch match a couple of weeks ago but hurt his quad and has been held back again...

So all i am saying his ease off on expectations here on Flynn - he has a long way to go and let him develop slowly because his is not going to come in and make an immediate impact...

I can only see downside in playing him this year. Certainly don’t think your mail is correct about a partial acl tear though

I can only see downside in playing him this year. Certainly don’t think your mail is correct about a partial acl tear though

I doubt it was a partial tear. He would of sat out just about the year in that case.

He did have a setback though, he was back into training just before Round 1, then missed the next 8-10 weeks during the first lockdown.

Interesting. We haven't had a scratch match since the Essendon game, that was a while ago now. Our footy boss mentioned a week ago that he would have had 3 VFL matches under his belt under normal circumstances.

Anyway, he's only a kid so expectations won't be high.

Yep, also, if you go and look at Tom Murphy pre-draft highlight vid, as I just did, you will see a frightening similarity between the 2. Murphy looking closer to the end right now than the beginning. Super hard for these kids to display the ability they had in U-age footy at the next level. Everything gotta go right.

Yep, also, if you go and look at Tom Murphy pre-draft highlight vid, as I just did, you will see a frightening similarity between the 2. Murphy looking closer to the end right now than the beginning. Super hard for these kids to display the ability they had in U-age footy at the next level. Everything gotta go right.

This kid must have something over Murphy, given Tommy was a rookie selection and Flynn 2ND RD.

Sounds like a great opportunity for our development coaches...to teach him from the ground up...OK now i'm worried

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid must have something over Murphy, given Tommy was a rookie selection and Flynn 2ND RD.
Hey, totally....but also probably/possibly.
If you can be bothered, go and watch TM vid, on first page of his thread. Murphy looks sensational.
I'm not knocking Perez, I hope/feel we are completely due to get a 2nd rounder turn into a full jet. I'm purely pointing out what I've seen. Be interested in ya thoughts, for sure. I think TM has been getting groomed for the wrong position. Looks a winger/mid to me.

Thanks for bringing us back down to earth mate. It was getting a bit too cheerful on this forum what with all the glorious things happening in 2020.

Perez certainly looks the part - doesn't anyone with draft knowledge know whether he can play?

I understand he has been injured at both junior and senior level - when he was fit what role did he play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back