Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

7We owe this kid absolutely nothing. 4 years in the system, was not up to AFL level until this season. He got games when he deserved/earned them & would have gotten more if he hadn't broken AFL protocol & got himself suspended for 10 weeks + injury. More than $1million has been invested in him on wages, fines, coaching, support, operations. The club stood by him when he stuffed up & still gave him his fair chance to play the moment he had earned the right to do so.

It's one thing to leave & another to leave via the PSD. Him leaving via the PSD can only work IF THE PLAYER SUPPORTS IT. If the player were to say " I have chosen your club to continue my career over the plethora of offers i received - but it cannot and will not be via the PSD, as the player wants to avoid any negative publicity and illwill to his former employer as they stood by him after his controversy. We is happy to accept your contract, but if a fair trade cannot be worked out then the player will possibly reconsider his options. He can then point out the fact the club has had a lot of players request to leave over the 5 past seasons and on every occasion a good and fair trade was met.This is a very achievable goal we believe based on how much you value our clients services.

IF the player did that, then the threat of the PSD is over. North have to trade for him fairly, as the player has told them his terms & why. I personally would not be put off by a new employee doing that, as it shows character and loyalty.

So if the threat of the PSD is raised and CCJ and his management allow it, then the club should go as hard as possible on this to remind the rest of the league, & our playing group, that we may be enlightened to player wellbeing & culture, but we are not passive & without recourse. You must reciprocate the goodwill we have extended to you, otherwise you will dealt with by a different bunch of personalities down at the club. Enter, the prick team. Every big company has them. They are rolled out when redundancy and new pay structures are created. They come in and deliver the bad news, be total dicks about it - then disappear. They are used to deal with your bad eggs to allow your key people to remain "the good guy" to your remaining playing group.

Be willing to give a 3rd & 4th (possibly both future) + CCJ for their future 2nd & Tarrant. That is more than fair. They get CCJ for a 1 round pick upgrade & a 4th rounder for Tarrant. The more i think about it, the more i thing thats not even fair - CCJ is worth more than a bloody 3 to 2 pick upgrade - in reality we should get a future 3rd or 4th back as well.

Last edited:

North saying they believe pick 38 is fair for CCJ. I'll be ******* annoyed if we trade him for pick 38!!

reading that is funny - "The history that a ruck forward his age is worth pick 38"

Does anyone here know what history he is talking about?

One of the biggest bargains in trading history was when we got Toby for a 3rd rounder. This was a total bargain at the time & obviously in hindsight a total steal.

Toby was taken pick 35 in the draft 3 seasons earlier.

CCJ was taken 1 round earlier than Toby, therefore the return should be higher. If we are willing to also send a later pick back there way too - then that is clearly where the history shows his value at - his trade value right now is much higher than what Tobys was then - the big man/ruck has only increased since 2016 with the game rule changes etc

just get rid of ccj

any pick around 30 is fair, so if its 38 so be it....astbury, jack graham, nank and lambert all good value pickups by us and the players themselves all ended up happy to come to us and are/were tremendous clubmen and terrific premiership players.

ccj was offered a lucrative deal and we, and he and his manager know he aint in our best linup yet, and is 5th or 6th banana behind lynch, jr, nank, soldo and probably equal with ryan.

so we suck it up as i will guarantee the playing group would not give 2 hoots if he goes at 20 or 38 and soldo and young ryan would be licking their lips as more opportunity for them.

and seriously we all need to accept that its a brutal business and pull our heads in and if a fella like georgie costanza was offered 4 years at 2 mil elsewhere 75% of tiger fans would be prepared to pack his bags for him and an exchange pick would not be an issue.

just get rid of ccj

any pick around 30 is fair, so if its 38 so be it....astbury, jack graham, nank and lambert all good value pickups by us and the players themselves all ended up happy to come to us and are/were tremendous clubmen and terrific premiership players.

ccj was offered a lucrative deal and we, and he and his manager know he aint in our best linup yet, and is 5th or 6th banana behind lynch, jr, nank, soldo and probably equal with ryan.

so we suck it up as i will guarantee the playing group would not give 2 hoots if he goes at 20 or 38 and soldo and young ryan would be licking their lips as more opportunity for them.

and seriously we all need to accept that its a brutal business and pull our heads in and if a fella like georgie costanza was offered 4 years at 2 mil elsewhere 75% of tiger fans would be prepared to pack his bags for him and an exchange pick would not be an issue.
The issue is that they're offering us pick 38 yet are going to sign him for 4 years on decent coin. The deal they're offering shows that Norf think CCJ is a very good prospect, yet they're trying to give us peanuts for him. It doesn't make sense.

7We owe this kid absolutely nothing. 4 years in the system, was not up to AFL level until this season. He got games when he deserved/earned them & would have gotten more if he hadn't broken AFL protocol & got himself suspended for 10 weeks + injury. More than $1million has been invested in him on wages, fines, coaching, support, operations. The club stood by him when he stuffed up & still gave him his fair chance to play the moment he had earned the right to do so.

It's one thing to leave & another to leave via the PSD. Him leaving via the PSD can only work IF THE PLAYER SUPPORTS IT. If the player were to say " I have chosen your club to continue my career over the plethora of offers i received - but it cannot and will not be via the PSD, as the player wants to avoid any negative publicity and illwill to his former employer as they stood by him after his controversy. We is happy to accept your contract, but if a fair trade cannot be worked out then the player will possibly reconsider his options. He can then point out the fact the club has had a lot of players request to leave over the 5 past seasons and on every occasion a good and fair trade was met.This is a very achievable goal we believe based on how much you value our clients services.

IF the player did that, then the threat of the PSD is over. North have to trade for him fairly, as the player has told them his terms & why. I personally would not be put off by a new employee doing that, as it shows character and loyalty.

So if the threat of the PSD is raised and CCJ and his management allow it, then the club should go as hard as possible on this to remind the rest of the league, & our playing group, that we may be enlightened to player wellbeing & culture, but we are not passive & without recourse. You must reciprocate the goodwill we have extended to you, otherwise you will dealt with by a different bunch of personalities down at the club. Enter, the prick team. Every big company has them. They are rolled out when redundancy and new pay structures are created. They come in and deliver the bad news, be total dicks about it - then disappear. They are used to deal with your bad eggs to allow your key people to remain "the good guy" to your remaining playing group.

Be willing to give a 3rd & 4th (possibly both future) + CCJ for their future 2nd & Tarrant. That is more than fair. They get CCJ for a 1 round pick upgrade & a 4th rounder for Tarrant. The more i think about it, the more i thing thats not even fair - CCJ is worth more than a bloody 3 to 2 pick upgrade - in reality we should get a future 3rd or 4th back as well.
Haha enter the 'prick team'...oh yeah the good/bad guys of corporate management...familiar with them when I was working!🥴

This is all part of the posturing.
Norf supporters expect this to be done today and will be desperate to get it done before the FA window shuts on Friday.

This will play out until next week. Sit back and enjoy the angst from our North friends. Just like Blues supporters it’s the only time of year I enjoy hearing from them.

North are taking the p. they want to give us 38 for him plus they want a late pick as well lol. You know what f them let him go through PSD he has already showed his loyalty. Just hope another club picks him up.
I think North has first pick in the PSD as well. So they get Jones that way too. In that scenario Tarrant is forced to come to us by FA. In which case we don't receive Chol the compo. pick. Its just a matter of doing the sums on numerical value of all the points gained and lost. And whether we miss a chance to work with say, the dogs to get them Darcy.

I think North has first pick in the PSD as well. So they get Jones that way too. In that scenario Tarrant is forced to come to us by FA. In which case we don't receive Chol the compo. pick. Its just a matter of doing the sums on numerical value of all the points gained and lost. And whether we miss a chance to work with say, the dogs to get them Darcy.
Tarrant will come to us as a DFA if we don’t trade for him. It won’t affect the Chol compo.

Mod notice
Hi Guys,

north supporters are getting upset and reporting posts for making fun of them..so if you coul....

Sorry I can't finish that without laughing.

North Supporters if you are getting offended at what Richmond people say about you on the Richmond board then I suggest you don't read the Richmond board....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting the rumour that CCJ has told North that he won't walk though the PSD. Hope it's true and North produces something reasonable. Even if it is 40 and next year's 3rd. 40 is garbage for CCJ

Hi Guys,

north supporters are getting upset and reporting posts for making fun of them..so if you coul....

North Supporters if you are getting offended at what Richmond people say about you on the Richmond board then I suggest you don't read the Richmond board....
This is just taking the piss

They come on here and report us but are disgusting with their comments on their board
tell them to piss off if they dont like what they read Sterge

Just leave this trade hanging until the end and if their offer doesnt get to where we want it - Let him go PSD
Pick in the 50's is rubbish and we dont need it and its a nothing pick for points .

And this business about Tarrant effecting the Chol compo is just laughable
1. 33 year olds wont get a compo
2. We can structure his contract to 1 year plus trigger so it doesnt effect it
3. Can take him in the PSD and the chol compo will already be traded out
4. Even if the secret herbs were applied it would only drop back by 6-7 spots to the next band

5. Meanwhile Cj has a few things to think about
* Is Doggies / Hawks / Saints a better fit , will another team swoop
* Will Richmond Convince him to stay ?
* He is in SA and Port letting Ladhams go , Will he tour Alberton whils on holidays

Let it drag on and go to PSD - Tigers are 3 x Premiers and Norf are just a sh!t stain bogan minnow club
We dont need rubbish picks

Hi Guys,

LOL -#lolnorf

One point to add is that North Melbourne are only offering CC-J that large contract because a) they can as they have the cap space, and b) they are far from a destination club right now so offering overs is vital for them to attract players. They are not offering him that amount of dollars and years because he is worth that much. I think that is being forgotten.

That said, I feel like he is worth pick 18-25. That’s my gut feel “based on factors” to quote David Brent. He’s going to be a decent or even very good player for them.

The way it’s shaping up though we will be forced to take unders. I hope we can get a bit better than 40 though.

Can’t believe it but I actually liked David King’s suggestion of a swap of either pick 26 or 28 and CC-J for pick 20. Not sure what the points on that look like but that seems more valuable than 40 to me.

Last edited:
Can’t believe it but I actually liked David King’s suggestion of a swap of either pick 26 or 28 and CC-J for pick 20. Not sure what the points on that look like but that seems more valuable than 40 to me.
That's the trade to make, the downgrade of 20 to 26/28 plus Pick 40 values CCJ around Pick 30 which is totally fair for both sides

One point to add is that North Melbourne are only offering CC-J that large contract because a) they can as they have the cap space, and b) they are far from a destination club right now so offering overs is vital for them to attract players. They are not offering him that amount of dollars and years because he is worth that much. I think that is being forgotten.

That said, I feel like he is worth pick 18-25. That’s my gut feel “based on factors” to quote David Brent. He’s going to be a decent or even very good player for them.

The way it’s shaping up though we will be forced to take unders. I hope we can get a bit better than 40 though.

Kingy clearly been reading this board. That trade has been suggested a number of times already

Hi Guys,

Wow that is soft 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back