Past 40. Michael Gibbons

Remove this Banner Ad

Still surprised he was let go, talented footballer with a great work ethic.

I just wonder if he had a bit of an attitude issue, maybe getting a bit ahead of himself??

I haven't heard anything, just an observation of a little bit of possible figjam.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I just wonder if he had a bit of an attitude issue, maybe getting a bit ahead of himself??

I haven't heard anything, just an observation of a little bit of possible figjam.

Maybe a bit unlucky and a victim of reduced lists. Out of contract at the wrong time.

Liked the endeavour but didn’t have any real weapons at senior level.

Wouldn’t have been unhappy to see him at the club in 2023, but I’m equally as satisfied that we’ve got his position covered.

Confident but seemed well liked. Just bad timing on his contract compared to a few others who had this year to run imo.

Think he was good enough. Just never played where he should have been.
The obsession with big bodied mids in current coaching circles just meant he born in wrong time for his talents.
The cycle will change at some point where nimble footed mids will come back in vogue.

The obsession with big bodied mids in current coaching circles just meant he born in wrong time for his talents.
The cycle will change at some point where nimble footed mids will come back in vogue.

Wasn't nimble footed enough for it to be a genuine weapon at AFL level.

Wasn't nimble footed enough for it to be a genuine weapon at AFL level.
Maybe no Mark Naley or Vinnie Cat type nimble but still would have been nice to see him play where his best football was.
It is a pity he never really got used how he wanted to and had to compromise.
I wish him all the best. Wonderful fella.

Maybe no Mark Naley or Vinnie Cat type nimble but still would have been nice to see him play where his best football was.
It is a pity he never really got used how he wanted to and had to compromise.
I wish him all the best. Wonderful fella.

His best footy was in the VFL.
Just didn't have the weapons to be a mid at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only two games in the ovens and Murray this weekend but Gibbons with a goal and listed in the best for the Mark Whiley coached Yarrawonga who are second on the ladder.

Jeff Garlett kicked 3 for Albury who are third.

Wangaratta are on top and will be hard to beat. Coached by Ben Reid they also have a carlton connection with Callum Moore going around, he also won the league medal last year. They also have "Juice" Newton (who some will remember taking AFL mark of the year in 2007)

Not good enough IMO. Too lightweight for midfield. Not skilled enough to be a forward. Great VFL player.

He got to live his dream of playing AFL football, when every team had passed him over multiple times. He shouldn't be snaky on Carlton delisting him. Hopefully in time, he will appreciate that he got to play at the highest level and treasure those memories.

I recall a 1 game player from many decades ago, who was interviewed and talked about how proud he was that he got to be part of history, albeit briefly.

He got to live his dream of playing AFL football, when every team had passed him over multiple times. He shouldn't be snaky on Carlton delisting him. Hopefully in time, he will appreciate that he got to play at the highest level and treasure those memories.

I recall a 1 game player from many decades ago, who was interviewed and talked about how proud he was that he got to be part of history, albeit briefly.

Has he been snaky?

I read something where he wasn't happy with the club for delisting him.

I do wonder if there were broken commitments with some of these players (e.g. gibbons and Josh deluca)

I do wonder if there were broken commitments with some of these players (e.g. gibbons and Josh deluca)
I'd say he was upset to be cut when he was as or more productive than quite a few others - clearly contract end dates saved a few.

That's professional sports though, it's a cold business sometimes

Did his hammy in the qualifying final against Albury on the weekend which Yarrawonga won. Three weeks to the G/F if the Pigeons make it through.

Just an update with the ovens and Murray grand final on this Sunday. Yarrawonga take on Wangaratta at Lavington. There is a fair bit of Carlton representation with Yarrawonga who are coached by ex blue Mark Whiley. Michael Gibbons has been selected as an emergency after doing his hammy 3 weeks ago.

Wangaratta are favourites with Ben Reid (son of former Carlton player Bruce) and former blue Callum Moore up forward. Moore was runner up in the league b & f after winning it last year.

Should be a good game.

For those interested Wangaratta beat yarrawonga 12.14 to 13.5 . Michael Gibbons didn't play. Callum Moore kicked 4 and got BOG. Mark Whiley listed amongst the best for Yarrawonga.

Ovens and Murray league would be happy with the crowd of 8747.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back