Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Mountford isn't at McDonalds level. Brown was about 22 and Turner played a specific role in the forward line. Mountford is a midfielder who is a fair way back imo. We just traded for Hrovat and we'll have Ahern up and running next year hopefully. He isn't a great kick of the footy either.

Wouldn't play Mountford ahead of Dumont, Hrovat, Clarke, McDonald, Ziebell or Cunnington. We'll probably draft a top line mid at #11 with significantly more ability too.

I'd like to see Hibberd have a crack in the midfield too.

Selling him a bit short there. He was good even before the change to a tagger. I think the change was to develop his defensive side, make him a more complete player. The 2nd in the B&F is better than any of of young players previously and he should have debuted during the dark patch of the season. If you are are judging players on disposal, pretty much scrub the entire group mentioned above.

Mountford isn't at McDonalds level. Brown was about 22 and Turner played a specific role in the forward line. Mountford is a midfielder who is a fair way back imo. We just traded for Hrovat and we'll have Ahern up and running next year hopefully. He isn't a great kick of the footy either.

Wouldn't play Mountford ahead of Dumont, Hrovat, Clarke, McDonald, Ziebell or Cunnington. We'll probably draft a top line mid at #11 with significantly more ability too.

It sounded like you were having a crack at Brad but then you went on to support why Mountford shouldnt be played and is well behind a number of other players.

Mountford will play a handful of games next year. When he gets his opportunity he really needs to make a strong case to hold on to a best 22 position.

Selling him a bit short there. He was good even before the change to a tagger. I think the change was to develop his defensive side, make him a more complete player. The 2nd in the B&F is better than any of of young players previously and he should have debuted during the dark patch of the season. If you are are judging players on disposal, pretty much scrub the entire group mentioned above.
I don't think he is damaging enough to get a game without being a tagger. If he can tag like Jacobs but get 20 touches a game then he'll probably get game time at some stage.

The group I mentioned are all better kicks than Mountford.

I don't think he is damaging enough to get a game without being a tagger. If he can tag like Jacobs but get 20 touches a game then he'll probably get game time at some stage.

The group I mentioned are all better kicks than Mountford.
No idea where this is coming from, Dec is a super quick, agile inside mid with great endurance who knows how to find the footy, and his disposal is pretty decent as well. Is pretty (or even totally) unique on our list and showed all the signs of becoming a more than solid player in the future. The only reason he was ever given the tagging role was to work on the defensive side of his game, I very much doubt that is the club's long term plan for him.

He kicks the ball like Atley on the run. Too many ahead of him imo. Could try and take Gibsons spot on the wing tho

If they are serious about a reset or whatever they call it then everyone needs a shot to show what they can do at that level.

If they are serious about a reset or whatever they call it then everyone needs a shot to show what they can do at that level.
Very true. I don't think we are serious about it though. 2 mids have left and 2 have arrived. Pick 11 will be a mid too.

If we had been more aggressive during trade week then I'd be more inclined to believe that guys like Mountford would be given opportunities.

We have a lot of players who have a lot to work on with kicking. There will be a lot of rotation of the young blokes this season, mountford is likely (going by last year) going to get that chance. There is a lot to like about almost all of his game, but kicking on the run needs work - he is a first year fella tho.

This year there are lots more rotational positions, being that brad wont have as many 'must keep' players (which he never should of to the extreme he showed). He will get a game, and this year wont be about a locked 22.

Fair enough.

My comment was more in relation to your statement about Brad not playing 'youf'.

In regards to Mountford getting senior games in '17, I think Declan should be aiming for about 5 minimum.

Fair enough.

My comment was more in relation to your statement about Brad not playing 'youf'.

In regards to Mountford getting senior games in '17, I think Declan should be aiming for about 5 minimum.
If he gets 5 then I have significantly underestimated him.....or we are in a world of pain injury wise.

No idea where this is coming from, Dec is a super quick, agile inside mid with great endurance who knows how to find the footy, and his disposal is pretty decent as well. Is pretty (or even totally) unique on our list and showed all the signs of becoming a more than solid player in the future. The only reason he was ever given the tagging role was to work on the defensive side of his game, I very much doubt that is the club's long term plan for him.

Double tick ^

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just scanning through the '15 draft combine results. Dec is pocket rocket. Given (from what I've seen in the VFL) he "has it" on the field, his draft position at 60 is looking like a big win, how far it goes of course is another matter. Plenty of upside with this small cap stock. Buy.

Just scanning through the '15 draft combine results. Dec is pocket rocket. Given (from what I've seen in the VFL) he "has it" on the field, his draft position at 60 is looking like a big win, how far it goes of course is another matter. Plenty of upside with this stock. Buy.
I'm hugely excited about what Dec will show us in 2017, has all the physical attributes and seems to have the drive and determination to make it as an AFL footballer

Wouldn't mind if he plays a bit across half back in the VFL this year as apart of his development. Played well as a tagger, if he could lock down on the best opposition small forwards and provide some dash it would be excellent for us going forward.

Also would be happy for him to continue in the midfield.

He was pushing for senior selection really hard towards the end of last year so I believe he won't be far off now that the older blokes are now gone. Pace is something we need and he has it in spades!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back