Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting TI, I actually thought the opposite early, he couldn't seem to close on Hawkins, but a ripping debut and long overdue imo, has been victim of a very stable senior defence. Had my heart in my mouth a couple of times just from his kicking style but the execution was fine.

Now...does he swing? Am I right in saying he didn't excel up forward in the VFL, but worth a try?
In all honesty I'd rather not even bother trying to use him as a forward. Looks a complete natural down back and showed today he is up to it at the highest level (albeit against a forward line that isn't a powerhouse by any means). I'd rather him starved of opportunity and playing his role in defence at VFL level until an injury. We've been blessed the last season and a half with our defence being fit, but we have to remember the history some of those blokes have.

Wouldn't mind throwing him in against a tall team at the expense of Broad. Grimes play small, Rance can play small or tall or loose. Still a lot of versatility in there and frees Rance up to intercept.

Interesting TI, I actually thought the opposite early, he couldn't seem to close on Hawkins, but a ripping debut and long overdue imo, has been victim of a very stable senior defence. Had my heart in my mouth a couple of times just from his kicking style but the execution was fine.

Now...does he swing? Am I right in saying he didn't excel up forward in the VFL, but worth a try?
He’s had shots in the Ruck and played forward as a kid, but I think BL is his go.
I thought he was still good early with some nice interceptions and hard tackling.
It was a massive task on Hawkins for a first gamer which he can hold his head high. He at one stage looked spent, but he kept wielding himself to get more out of himself. He’s a victim of a powerful BL which he’s just going to have to be patient.
Moore kicked five in the vfl where it was horrid conditions for big blokes. So he’s ahead of him in that area.

Last edited:

For a young KPB is was a great debut. Especially against a really decent KPF (I know people will disagree, but Hawkins is decent). Really looks like an experienced AFL player. Need muscle and some conditioning. But did a lot of work that you'd expect a player of 50+ games to do. Kicking looks weird, but works.

Great game for him. Knows he can play AFL level. Should really help his development.

Dave will come back against the Swans. But good on you Ryan!

Rance isn't actually a big guy. Looks big because of ridiculously lean physique and tiny waist. Whenever you see him off the field in casual wear (especially a slim black shirt) he looks tiny by comparison! Once Garth stacks a bit of muscle on he'll find a bloke like Hawkins much easier to deal with. Definitely held his own today though. Props to him.

I meant height. Rance is 194cm. Garth looks closer to 195cm. Definitely taller than 192cm from what I’ve seen

Does anyone think Garth could replace Broad when Astbury comes back?
Good question, but I think Broad covers more ground better and links up in chains better at this stage of their careers. Garth plays mainly an Astbury style one with some Rance moments. He wasn’t expected to get a game , but injuries hit which opened a door so he would be ecstatic.
I was impressed with his maturity and in all seriousness we didn’t lose a beat and keeping Geelong to 65points was a good indication. It’s really difficult in having to drop him as he played a ripper on probably the AFLs most physically matured side. Broad also played a damn good game IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not look out of place one bit.

yep he slotted in very smoothly.

i must admit i was a bit unsure when i saw him line up on Hawkins, but he handled himself very well.

the desperation he showed was equal to any of our other defenders.

very good spoiler of the ball as well which is a big positive.

If
I'd be more inclined to have Broad move up to play in McIntosh's position, drop McIntosh to find some form in the VFL, and keep Garth in for a little while.

In saying that, he'll probably be the one who makes way for Astbury. McIntosh is extremely lucky to have played every game this year.

Talk about a baptism of fire, Ryan handled himself extremely well considering the huge task.
I would be lying if I wasn't concerned about leaving him on Hawkins anyway he will be better for the experience.
Is going to be a solid defender for us for a long time, I'm looking forward to see how his career flourishes.

RICHMOND debutant Ryan Garthwaite was reduced to tears when he received the call from Damien Hardwick that he would be fulfilling a lifelong dream against Geelong at the MCG.

The second-year defender was thrown in the deep end on Sunday, sent to in-form forward Tom Hawkins after David Astbury failed to overcome an ankle injury.

Garthwaite said it was hard to keep his emotions in check when he was told of his selection just 24 hours before the match.

"He told me and I tried to keep my emotions together, when you get that it's a dream come true and (I) shed a few tears," Garthwaite told AFL.com.au.

"When he rang me, I was just sitting in my room, it was that surreal feeling.

"When you start Auskick at the age of six, it's your dream to play AFL football. When that call finally comes, it's like, 'Hang on, it's finally here'.

"The family weren't originally coming down for the weekend but as soon as I told them, they jumped in the car and came straight down."

Hawkins kicked two goals in an ominous first term before Garthwaite found his feet.

"I just needed to reset again, I was getting a bit high up the ground rather than covering the back space and that's how he was getting them," he said.

"Lining up on him is another opportunity to improve, obviously he's a well-known footballer and a big lump of a lad.

"When I go out there I accept any challenge that's thrown at me, I'm a competitive person and that's the way I play."

garthwaitefamily.jpg

The Murray Bushrangers product typified the Tigers' intensity with a gusty smother to deny Cat James Parsons a certain goal in the second term, something he described as second nature.

"I think that's another part of my game is my competitiveness and my desperation," he said.

"I got pushed in the back, slid on my knees and crawled to get the hand out there. We all celebrate that, there were countless times the boys got a smother in today.

"That's just who we are at Richmond."

Hardwick said it was rewarding to unveil the club's second debutant of the season after 2017 first-round draft pick Jack Higgins forced his way into the side in round three.

"To see young Garthwaite come in, he's a very popular member of our footy club, one for his character but two for his incredible work rate, the way he approaches his training," he said.

"For a first-game player to play on one of the premier forwards in the competition, he'll certainly learn a lot.

"We've always known he's going to be a pretty good player, he's a David Astbury-type clone."
And as for the 19-year-old's Gatorade shower after the 18-point victory.

"It took my breath away to be honest, it felt like there were 50 Gatorade bottles being thrown at me," he said.

Recruited from the Bushrangers via Corowa-Rutherglen, Garthwaite was taken at pick No.72 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

Clearly Broad is the weakest link in defense but I reckon if he's to be dislodged it needs to be by a defender with more attack in his skillset. Garth is more your Astbury/Grimes replacement.

The Murray Bushrangers product typified the Tigers' intensity with a gusty smother to deny Cat James Parsons a certain goal in the second term, something he described as second nature.
"I think that's another part of my game is my competitiveness and my desperation," he said.
"I got pushed in the back, slid on my knees and crawled to get the hand out there. We all celebrate that, there were countless times the boys got a smother in today.
I think Rance isn't getting enough credit for this play.
He shoved Garthwaite in the back to propel him forward.
IMO it was an intentional shove to get the young fella into the position he was.
Bloody smart footballer is Rance.

Clearly Broad is the weakest link in defense but I reckon if he's to be dislodged it needs to be by a defender with more attack in his skillset. Garth is more your Astbury/Grimes replacement.
The good thing about depth is you can slot Garth in if any of Broad, Astbury or Grimes miss. Hes shown he can handle it and he will only improve from here.

Once Houli is back, I reckon B Ellis goes, or KMac goes and B Ellis moves to the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back