Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Before this season I’d agree, sh*t even till recently I thought he’d drop off, but I think this is his most complete season. The knock on him has only ever been his defensive side, and ironically he’s playing in defence as our rebound attack player and hasn’t had to defend. It’s actually surprising that teams aren’t playing a defensive forward on him. He’d be a valuable addition to any side that has a solid defence and can cover him. His drive off half back has been excellent. I want him at North because I think our stingy defence is perfect for him but teams will come knocking. He’s not slowing down. Imo he has 3-5 years of top shelf footy left in him. The question will be if other clubs offer him more coin and if we think he’ll be in our next tilt.
yeah, I should have added of course he's entitled to an extension, I just wouldn't go overboard; one is fair, maybe two with triggers

yeah, I should have added of course he's entitled to an extension, I just wouldn't go overboard; one is fair, maybe two with triggers
Based on this season there are no shortage of clubs who’d offer him two years.
As you said, we shouldn’t go overboard but we need to be realistic, too. He has played consistently good football, has (IMO) made a significant impact on the team and has a skill set which is hard to replace.
I can’t see him not being offered two.

If he can be injury free, might have 5 more years, heath shaw played til 35...

I'm in the one year camp, maybe with triggers. This isn't meant to diminish his contribution, just list management strategy when looking at demographics at the foot of a rebuild. I doubt anyone will displace him over the pre season, but we need to have the right setup in place to allow younger players to take their chances.

We let Higgins go because we weren't prepared to guarantee him the years he was after, knowing we had decided to rebuild and the kids became the priority. Many of us are happy, or at least ambivalent, about Kelly not coming because it means there are more midfield spots for the younger blokes. IMO it's the same with most of the 30 and over crew. Typically if their form warrants another year, then they should get it. But I'd rather not be offering much more than that to too many of them because opportunity cost can and will bite you in the arse eventually.

All that said... He's looked more consistent than ever and I've been impressed with how he's slowly brought more defensive qualities into his performances as the year has gone on. He can shank the odd kick, everyone can, but his ability to evade players and run the ball forward 20 meters before kicking long is such a great attribute. He absolutely shreds defensive zones.

His defensive work has improved. It’ll never be perfect, but can recall him outbodying players to mark and winning one on ones: the thing is he keeps his feet, which is so so so important for a half back. One year with triggers for two to keep him hungry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit old-fashioned - Aaron's had one good year out of three, so I reckon he's still a bit in the red on the ledger
It just so happens this year is the one year he's had where he has been able to breathe properly. He doesn't disappear out of games anymore and that probably has alot to do with it.

Before this season I’d agree, sh*t even till recently I thought he’d drop off, but I think this is his most complete season. The knock on him has only ever been his defensive side, and ironically he’s playing in defence as our rebound attack player and hasn’t had to defend. It’s actually surprising that teams aren’t playing a defensive forward on him. He’d be a valuable addition to any side that has a solid defence and can cover him. His drive off half back has been excellent. I want him at North because I think our stingy defence is perfect for him but teams will come knocking. He’s not slowing down. Imo he has 3-5 years of top shelf footy left in him. The question will be if other clubs offer him more coin and if we think he’ll be in our next tilt.
If he's got 3-5 years left they better think he'll be part of our next tilt.

If he's got 3-5 years left they better think he'll be part of our next tilt.

My concern would be how hot & cold he’s been over his whole career. One year deals would be ideal imo, I just think another club might come and offer him a 3 year deal and I’m not convinced we should match it. A 3 year deal would be a gamble, even though he’s currently playing outstanding footy.

My concern would be how hot & cold he’s been over his whole career. One year deals would be ideal imo, I just think another club might come and offer him a 3 year deal and I’m not convinced we should match it. A 3 year deal would be a gamble, even though he’s currently playing outstanding footy.
So many puns with misdiagnosed, taking a growth out of his nose earlier and he might’ve been a Brownlow medal winner with the Suns.

It’s always been the issue with him, he looks effortless, so people are jumping up and down why he doesn’t do it every week. Well at a guess a small cold caused nasal passage to be blocked so he can’t breathe. Now he looks effortless week in week out..

He's a weapon back there, and probably got a lot of footy left in him the way he plays.

Hell I’d be giving him three years and a management fee for every draftee he lets lodge at his house after TT.

Last edited:
2 years with potential options to extend would cover that.

Here’s another way to look at it. I reckon plenty of clubs would love to have Hall the way he has played this year. Whatever Saad was doing at the Bombers Hall is doing similar IMO. 30 is the new 25. Plenty of miles left in the legs. 2 at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back